ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
You are right, enough should be enough.

Jerry should back away from team operations but he believes he is the reason for the team's success and that the ball has just taken some unlucky bounces the last 20 years.
See, I think in his heart of hearts Jerry knows he isn't good. That's why he hired Parcells. Problem is, if he doesn't really have the screws put to him he won't ever do it. That's why I think 8-8 plus the occasional winning year -- even though that's a piss-poor standard for success -- is the worst thing for this franchise.

But that's why I mentioned Steven: He might actually think he really is a great executive and resist any change.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But pep, we do have good players. We have a lot of talent. I don't think there's much problem with our drafting, do you?
Only four viable players out of the last four drafts.

We have average talent, or maybe only slightly above average. This is what the CBA and parity have done to most teams.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Garrett knows he's staying. He's already talking about trying to coach the senior bowl.

FML.

Those poor kids. They'll be thinking "Wait, I thought the NFL was supposed to have the best coaches.....wtf is this?"

Reaction score
But pep, we do have good players. We have a lot of talent. I don't think there's much problem with our drafting, do you?

Jerry is a problem for sure. But I don't think some of the things he does are that detrimental to the coach, like him giving press conferences after games. Most of that is just noise that doesn't really matter.

I really think Garrett has been here so long now that we've forgotten what difference a totally new voice could make.
I don't think we have all that much talent compared to other teams across the league.

We have a HOF TE, and a franchise QB going into their last few seasons. We have one elite WR. We have 3 great OL, and one who has all the makings, which were all 1st round picks or 1st round grades. And we have possibly the best kicker of all time.

But aside from those 6-7 players? Even the talented ones outside of those have huge question marks. Lee can't be depended on for more than 8 games. Scandrick is the best secondary player, and you know the issue there. Lawrence, Gregory and Jones are young guys with the potential to be great at this point.

But I think if you look around the league, you're going to find similar talent level on most every other team.

As far as giving Jones credit for the talent we do have, yeah he gets some credit. He gets credit for hiring Parcells, who stood on the table for Witten, and who brought in Payton, who brought in Romo. He gets credit for hitting on some first round OL picks recently. But it's not exactly earth shattering when first round OL picks pan out. But what has he done aside from that? If your GM is only hitting on first round picks, you're going to have some talent, yes, but you're not going to get very far in this league. What happens when we Frederick, Martin, and Collins hit the end of their deals? Is he going to pay them all the going rate for second contracts for the best OL at their positions? I doubt we can keep them all... And that's why it's so important that a GM hits on later round picks, at least occasionally.

And I totally disagree about Jerry's press conferences.... not just those, but other interviews with the media. Yeah, a lot of the time he's giving generic answers. But he also regularly makes statements to the media such as who the starting QB is going to be, or who's returning kicks, or who should see playing time, etc. Specifically with Hardy, he stated publicly that he wouldn't see any team punishment, in his post-game presser IIRC. You know he didn't talk to Garrett or Bisaccia about that before saying that.

Point is, he's constantly undermining the HC's authority, which IMO is detrimental to the perception of the HC in the locker room. If a new voice were brought in there, Jerry's voice would be the same.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
See, I think in his heart of hearts Jerry knows he isn't good. That's why he hired Parcells. Problem is, if he doesn't really have the screws put to him he won't ever do it. That's why I think 8-8 plus the occasional winning year -- even though that's a piss-poor standard for success -- is the worst thing for this franchise.

But that's why I mentioned Steven: He might actually think he really is a great executive and resist any change.

I think jerri hates the fans and he's either "gonna show em" or say "fuck em anyway, its my toy and I'll play with it until I die"

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Point is, he's constantly undermining the HC's authority, which IMO is detrimental to the perception of the HC in the locker room. If a new voice were brought in there, Jerry's voice would be the same.

yep

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Pep, I'd answer that sure, this is the NFL so every team is talented. I'm not saying we're "far and away the most talented team in the league" like some people were saying in 2007 and 2008, but I think we're more talented than most teams. Our offense in particular is extremely talented.

And yes, Jerry is going to undermine any coach to some degree, but I think Garrett lets him get away with much more than necessary. I don't think a Mike Zimmer, for example, would be scared to chew a players' ass when necessary, or even Jerry's. I don't think Garrett ever does that, at least relatively speaking. Plus Garrett makes tons of on-field and strategic mistakes that Jerry doesn't even care about.

Besides, if Jerry were really *that* bad, Garrett could have left last year when he was a free agent coming off a 12-4 year. I guess he doesn't think Jerry is so bad that he can't win with him.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Pep, I'd answer that sure, this is the NFL so every team is talented.
Most every team is equally mediocre. A few are worse, a few better.

It's like NASCAR - the cars are the same per the rules, the winners are determined by better owners, crew chiefs and drivers.

We have a lousy owner, lousy coach (crew chief) and a brittle driver. But the car is about the same as 20 other mediocre ones in the league. Perhaps in the top 5 of the mediocre ones, talent wise. Better off than most, worse than many.

Reaction score
Besides, if Jerry were really *that* bad, Garrett could have left last year when he was a free agent coming off a 12-4 year. I guess he doesn't think Jerry is so bad that he can't win with him.
I think Garrett's just nutless... If he were a free agent on the HC market, I don't know if he thinks he would get another NFL HC job, even if it's off a 12-4 season. This is his dream job, and he'll do anything to keep it.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw something similar.

1 losing season in 5 years.....yeah, well 1 winning season in 5 years.

What a fucking joke.

Exactly
I thought this league was measured on wins

Not on losses!

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What sickens me is that there isn't even any real talk in the media about Garret getting fired because they know that it's not even an option and that Jerry won't fire Garret even after this debacle of a season

I believe if there was enough talk about him getting fired on all the regular sports networks like there is about other HC's that Jerry would finally fire him

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You are right, enough should be enough.

Jerry should back away from team operations but he believes he is the reason for the team's success and that the ball has just taken some unlucky bounces the last 20 years.

What fucking success? Is mediocrity now considered success in his drunken world?

3 playoff years out of 9 is not "success" No NFC Championship Game appearances in 20 years is not "success"

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
What sickens me is that there isn't even any real talk in the media about Garret getting fired because they know that it's not even an option and that Jerry won't fire Garret even after this debacle of a season

I believe if there was enough talk about him getting fired on all the regular sports networks like there is about other HC's that Jerry would finally fire him

There are a few murmurs about it now, its not the avalanche of support for canning him that there should be, but you are starting to see a few of the local guys bring it up. I think Gil Lebreton suggested it in one of his columns last week. I recall seeing blurbs from a couple others.

Top Bottom