Mr.Po

Reaction score
Chan Gailey 2 seasons / 4 games above .500 / 1 division title & 2nd place finish / Back to Back playoff appearances / Fired

Jason Garrett 5 1/2 seasons / 2 games above .500 (when the 2015 debacle crash lands) / finished 3rd or last in division 4 out of 6 yrs / 1 playoff appearance / Still clapping & coaching

How much weight does that negated PI flag in the playoffs against Detroit hold now? It stands and Detroit holds would this season have been the tipping point for Jerry to send Ginger packing. What's his standards?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Chan Gailey 2 seasons / 4 games above .500 / 1 division title & 2nd place finish / Back to Back playoff appearances / Fired

Jason Garrett 5 1/2 seasons / 2 games above .500 (when the 2015 debacle crash lands) / finished 3rd or last in division 4 out of 6 yrs / 1 playoff appearance / Still clapping & coaching

How much weight does that negated PI flag in the playoffs against Detroit hold now? It stands and Detroit holds would this season have been the tipping point for Jerry to send Ginger packing. What's his standards?

Gailey was a fucking idiot, that's been proven everywhere else he has been since he got canned . He did stupid shit here ("we need WR's who can block first"), benching Michael Irvin on 3rd down plays. Eliminating throws in the middle of the field almost completely. He also was responsible for the embarrassing home playoff loss to Arizona (Arizona defensive players and one of their coaches made fun of Gailey and the offense after the game, said they made the same play calls from the same formations as the previous two regular season games)

Note I am not saying Garrett isn't an idiot either, he clearly is. But Gailey was a stubborn bonehead who ultimately got canned because he didn't want to make any offensive changes after his scheme went painfully stale. (Jones wanted Gailey to hire another OC/playcaller, and Gailey refused)

Mr.Po

Reaction score
Gailey was a fucking idiot, that's been proven everywhere else he has been since he got canned . He did stupid shit here ("we need WR's who can block first"), benching Michael Irvin on 3rd down plays. Eliminating throws in the middle of the field almost completely. He also was responsible for the embarrassing home playoff loss to Arizona (Arizona defensive players and one of their coaches made fun of Gailey and the offense after the game, said they made the same play calls from the same formations as the previous two regular season games)

Note I am not saying Garrett isn't an idiot either, he clearly is. But Gailey was a stubborn bonehead who ultimately got canned because he didn't want to make any offensive changes after his scheme went painfully stale. (Jones wanted Gailey to hire another OC/playcaller, and Gailey refused)

Not arguing the state of Gailey's IQ and whether he deserved to have the title of HC next to his name on a Dallas sideline.

My post wasn't about touting Gailey but comparing coaching resumes. If that gets you fired after 2 years and doesn't meet expectations then what constitutes need for a change?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not arguing the state of Gailey's IQ and whether he deserved to have the title of HC next to his name on a Dallas sideline.

My post wasn't about touting Gailey but comparing coaching resumes. If that gets you fired after 2 years and doesn't meet expectations then what constitutes need for a change?

Jones didn't intend to fire him though, he said he wanted to keep him but just with someone else running the offense.

Basically the same thing Jones did to Garrett with Callahan and then Linehan. Gailey wouldn't comply, Carrot Top did.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I like on Saturday night, they posted a stat..Garrett's first losing year in Dallas. While technically right, a more-telling stat would be only 1 winning year in 5 years as coach.

Yeah, I saw something similar.

1 losing season in 5 years.....yeah, well 1 winning season in 5 years.

What a fucking joke.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't the word that Jerry and Payton don't like each other at all?

Didn't hear that but I thought they talked about salary at one point and when Jerry heard Payton's salary demands he told him to go back to NO.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Didn't hear that but I thought they talked about salary at one point and when Jerry heard Payton's salary demands he told him to go back to NO.

He's paying Garrett $6 million/yr. on this new contract. So far he had dole out $34 million to Garrett, since Garrett's been here. After one year of being a QB coach, Jerry brings in Garrett and makes him the highest-paid OC in the league at $3 million/yr. ---- paying him the exact same as Wade, the HC. And through it all has nothing to show for it, and yet wants to balk at Payton's demands?

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh it doesn't make sense. But this is Jerry we're talking about.

That's why I hated last year in a way. If we had a year like this after three years of 8-8, he and Steve might have been almost forced to do something. But now they both figure this year was just bad luck plus injuries, and that 2014 was our "real" year. So I'm sure it would take this year plus a bad year next year to get their attention. As it stands, I'm sure their overoptimistic brains are thinking we'll add some high draft picks to our 2014 year and be totally kickass next year.

And BTW, I do think Steve runs things more and more, which sounds good. But I get the feeling he thinks he's really smart and has made some great moves the last few years. So in a way it might be a bad thing that he's more in charge, because he doesn't have decades of failure to get his attention. I think our only hope for any change is Jerry's desperation from old age kicking in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Being a Cowboys fan is so beaten.

You can bitch and moan about the head coach... and don't get me wrong, he's awful. But that's such a small part of what is wrong with this franchise. To be optimistic about this team, you have to hope that the blind squirrel (Jerry) stumbles on a nut.... not just one, but 30 of them. And they're floating somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico.

He'll end up firing Garrett eventually, but the next guy who is brought in will probably be another neutered yes man. Parcells was the only hire he's made since Jimmy that wasn't the case there, and that didn't work, so I don't think Jerry will do that again.

He's never going to give up on making personnel decisions. Any coach that does come in is going to have to deal with Jerry saddling him with bad apples and publicly undermining the HC's autonomy on who starts and plays. No HC worth anything will let Jerry do that, and Jerry's not going to hire someone who won't let him do that. No amount of Stephen stepping in will change that. He'll be a wildcatter until he dies, it's in his blood.

You're left with rooting for the few players who are great, but will probably never win, because they have to be so much better than their counterparts league-wide. We're looking for miracles in fields upon fields of shit.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Why you guys wanna ruin my fucking Christmas?

WE'RE FIRING GARRETT DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Garrett knows he's staying. He's already talking about trying to coach the senior bowl.

FML.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
But pep, we do have good players. We have a lot of talent. I don't think there's much problem with our drafting, do you?

Jerry is a problem for sure. But I don't think some of the things he does are that detrimental to the coach, like him giving press conferences after games. Most of that is just noise that doesn't really matter.

I really think Garrett has been here so long now that we've forgotten what difference a totally new voice could make.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It depends, if Garrett sucks again next year and Jerry feels Romo has 1 or 2 good years left (ignore his moronic 5 good years left statement) then I think we get a name coach who gets some real say.

If Garrett somehow outlasts Romo, we will get some young up and comer yes man who is loyal to Jerry for giving him his big break.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The plan should be for new coach to develop the new franchise QB

9 years (coordinator and HC) of Garrett is enough. 3 good years. Two awful years and 4 mediocre years. No Super Bowls. No NFC Championships.

Enough is enough.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The plan should be for new coach to develop the new franchise QB

9 years (coordinator and HC) of Garrett is enough. 3 good years. Two awful years and 4 mediocre years. No Super Bowls. No NFC Championships.

Enough is enough.

You are right, enough should be enough.

Jerry should back away from team operations but he believes he is the reason for the team's success and that the ball has just taken some unlucky bounces the last 20 years.

Jason should absolutely be fired. He may be the worst coach in the NFL. Again. Jerry blames those dag gum injuries. Now they are blaming the media and figuring which assistants will be scapegoated.

We are the most dysfunctional team in all of sports.

Top Bottom