Reaction score
NFC East Pro Bowl analysis
December, 28, 2010

By Matt Mosley

Perfect sense: I think right guard Chris Snee was the one New York Giants player who truly deserved to start, so the voters got this one right. And Giants defensive end Justin Tuck is one of the most feared pass-rushers in the league, so he deserved to make it as a reserve. Tuck's six forced fumbles probably helped him grab the final spot ahead of Eagles defensive end Trent Cole (nine sacks), who has been excellent against the run. I think the Philadelphia Eagles' Michael Vick was the most obvious choice in the division. He'll start at quarterback, and he'll be throwing to reserve wide receiver DeSean Jackson of the Eagles. Jackson was edged out for a starting spot by Calvin Johnson of the Detroit Lions and Roddy White of the Atlanta Falcons. And considering that Jackson's numbers were down when he played with Kevin Kolb early in the season, it's understandable that he didn't receive a starting nod.

2010 Pro Bowlers: NFC East

Dallas Cowboys
C Andre Gurode *
P Mat McBriar
DT Jay Ratliff *
LB DeMarcus Ware *
TE Jason Witten *
New York Giants
C Shaun O'Hara
S Antrel Rolle
G Chris Snee*
DE Justin Tuck
Philadelphia Eagles
PK David Akers
WR DeSean Jackson
OT Jason Peters *
CB Asante Samuel *
QB Michael Vick *
Washington Redskins
CB DeAngelo Hall
*denotes starter

I thought Dallas Cowboys tight end Jason Witten, outside linebacker DeMarcus Ware and punter Mat McBriar were all no-brainers. Witten has 90 catches and he's lifted his game since Jon Kitna replaced Tony Romo in the starting lineup. Ware hasn't been as dominant as in the past, but he's still considered one of the two or three best pass-rushers in the league. And McBriar has had a phenomenal season. He's led the league in net and gross average for much of the season. But the Cowboys getting five starters while the Eagles only had four seems a bit ridiculous considering their records. I could go either way on Washington's DeAngelo Hall. He has six interceptions and eight takeaways overall, but it's not like he was a picture of consistency. He probably played well enough not to end up in the next category.

Made it on rep: The voters always seem to make major errors along the offensive line. Bears center Olin Kreutz was still starting after he'd faded as as a player. And though Giants center Shaun O'Hara is a good player, he missed way too many games (nine) to be named to a Pro Bowl team this season. Rich Seubert actually had a better season than O'Hara, but more players and coaches have followed O'Hara's work over the years. The fact that Cowboys center Andre Gurode drew a starting nod shows how much of a farce the Pro Bowl can be. Gurode's deserved to go in the past, but not this season. And as talented as he is, you have to say that Jay Ratliff's going on reputation this season. Surely a 5-10 team doesn't deserve five starters. Sometimes it helps to have that star on your helmet at voting time. I'm not sure where to put Eagles left tackle Jason Peters. I will admit that he played much better this season, so this is not as big of a sham as it was last season with him starting. But to me, Todd Herremans is the Eagles' best offensive lineman.

Got robbed: I know Hakeem Nicks missed a couple of games with a leg injury, but I thought he was deserving of Pro Bowl consideration. He has emerged as one of the best wide receivers in a division that is filled with talent at that position. I'm not sure Cowboys left tackle Doug Free was "robbed," but he was best offensive lineman the Cowboys had this season and is far more deserving than Gurode. Cole should have been in the mix, and I also think Eagles defensive tackle Antonio Dixon had one of those under-the-radar nice seasons. Redskins safety LaRon Landry was on pace to make the Pro Bowl team, but an injury landed him on injured reserve. Was he robbed? Probably not. But he had a much better season than O'Hara -- and I think O'Hara would be the first to admit that.

One more name from the Redskins: I realize that rookie left tackle Trent Williams sort of limped into the end of the season, but I was very impressed with how he played in the first 11 games or so.

Click here for the complete Pro Bowl list. Update: Upon further review, I also think Giants defensive tackle Barry Cofield and Eagles running back LeSean McCoy should have received serious consideration. Cofield's one of the more underrated defensive players in the Beast.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not one Cowboy player got there because of fan voting. All 5 made it due to players/personnel voting.

I have to admit I was surprised Ratliff made it, but the other 4 all had probowl years.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Gurode did not have a pro bowl year.

Holy shat.

As I said to the other guy, what NFC center was more deserving to go?

And again, the fans didnt vote him in. The players, coaches and personnel people did. I'm sure you think in that pea brain of your's that you know more than them, but we know that isnt the case.

sbk92

Reaction score
As I said to the other guy, what NFC center was more deserving to go?

And again, the fans didnt vote him in. The players, coaches and personnel people did. I'm sure you think in that pea brain of your's that you know more than them, but we know that isnt the case.

http://www.dallascowboysuniverse.com/showthread.php?2519-My-Pro-Bowl-ballot....&highlight=Pro+Bowl

Most of the coaches and players didn't play against Gurode this year. So, yes, it's due to reputation.

I do know more than those coaches and players. Because I watch him every week. They don't.

There is no way in hell he deserves to go to the Pro Bowl this year.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Who deserved to go more than him?

He's a good player. Would probably be even better if he didnt have to cover for Leonard Davis so much.

Somebody that doesn't lead the league in penlties at his position.
Somebody that doesn't hike the ball over his QB's head with such frequency.

I have to disagree with you here dbair, I think Ratliff should have went before Gurode.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
http://www.dallascowboysuniverse.com/showthread.php?2519-My-Pro-Bowl-ballot....&highlight=Pro+Bowl

Most of the coaches and players didn't play against Gurode this year. So, yes, it's due to reputation.

Well IDIOT wouldn't that apply to EVERY player on the Pro Bowl that was voted by the players and coaches? 16 games of which 10 are non divisional games. So 13 different teams have faced Gurode. This would exactly apply to every player that has played in all 16 games. Duh.

sbk92 said:
I do know more than those coaches and players. Because I watch him every week. They don't.

There is no way in hell he deserves to go to the Pro Bowl this year.

How do you know that they don't watch him every week? I guess they are unable to afford TiVo with those paltry football salaries. But according to you, they also don't watch Ware every week either. Nor Desean Jackson, nor Vick., etc. Just dumb.

sbk92

Reaction score
Well IDIOT wouldn't that apply to EVERY player on the Pro Bowl that was voted by the players and coaches? 16 games of which 10 are non divisional games. So 13 different teams have faced Gurode. This would exactly apply to every player that has played in all 16 games. Duh.

And some players play to their reputation. Others don't and often get voted in by force of habit.

Andre Gurode did not have a pro bowl caliber season. Period. Nobody can dispute that.

How do you know that they don't watch him every week? I guess they are unable to afford TiVo with those paltry football salaries. But according to you, they also don't watch Ware every week either. Nor Desean Jackson, nor Vick., etc. Just dumb.

Yes. The entire league is TiVoing Cowboy games every week.

You are scary stupid.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
And some players play to their reputation. Others don't and often get voted in by force of habit.

Andre Gurode did not have a pro bowl caliber season. Period. Nobody can dispute that.

Apparently players, coaches and personnel people in the NFL dispute it.

I dont expect you to get this concept though.

NFL people >>>> dipshit

sbk92

Reaction score

NFL people >>>> dipshit

It's common knowledge that pro bowl voting is a joke.

Now don't beat around the bush. Tell me if Andre Gurode was one of the top 2 C's in the NFC this year.

sbk92

Reaction score
The Cowboys' offensive line was awful this year. The worst in all of football, for my money. I wouldn't give you a stack of football cards for any of the five pieces of shat along that line, including Andre Gurode.

This is like when Larry Allen was still making pro bowls years after he deserved it.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

I'm not disputing that Gurode didn't deserve Pro Bowl consideration, but I'm just saying your reasoning of how most the players and coaches did not face, which can be applied to any and all that were voted into the Pro Bowl. Now you are saying that some players play to their reputation, but it still would hold that most of the players and coaches did not face said player and "din't watch them as much as YOU", therefore they are still getting in by reputation by your own account. THESE ARE YOUR WORDS.

sbk92 said:
Yes. The entire league is TiVoing Cowboy games every week.

You are scary stupid.

I don't know if they are or not. Never said that they did bitch. You the one that is claiming that you watch the Cowboys more than any of them, to which you have no evidence so that makes it beyond stupid to suggest such.

What makes you think that football players are not interested in other football teasm/games beyond their own team?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

NFL people >>>> dipshit

I don't agree that Gurode should have made the Pro Bowl, but you are right. It is what it is.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's common knowledge that pro bowl voting is a joke.

The fan portion is, no doubt.

sbk92 said:
Now don't beat around the bush. Tell me if Andre Gurode was one of the top 2 C's in the NFC this year.

I myself cannot tell you that he is one of the top 2 Centers in the NFC---I don't believe that he is, but that doesn't mean that he isn't. Speaking of which, who then according to you are the top 2 Centers in the NFC?

sbk92

Reaction score
I'm not disputing that Gurode didn't deserve Pro Bowl consideration, but I'm just saying your reasoning of how most the players and coaches did not face, which can be applied to any and all that were voted into the Pro Bowl. Now you are saying that some players play to their reputation, but it still would hold that most of the players and coaches did not face said player and "din't watch them as much as YOU", therefore they are still getting in by reputation by your own account. THESE ARE YOUR WORDS.

Which is why I, and a legion of others, have always said the pro bowl voting is a joke.

I don't know if they are or not. Never said that they did bitch.

Let me help you out here since you're a few cards short of a deck.

They don't.

You the one that is claiming that you watch the Cowboys more than any of them, to which you have no evidence so that makes it beyond stupid to suggest such.

I do.

No player on any team watches more of the Dallas Cowboys than I do.

What makes you think that football players are not interested in other football teasm/games beyond their own team?

Sure they're interested. And they'll catch the games they can watch when they're free.

I, on the other hand, watch ever single down of every single season.

Top Bottom