Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Source: Cowboys interested in Jared Allen and Julius Peppers, but sights set on Henry Melton

BRANDON GEORGE

Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys hope their weeklong pursuit of Chicago Bears free agent defensive tackle Henry Melton spills over into early next week.

Dallas has set up a free agent visit with Melton, according to a source, but the local product might not be on the market by the time he gets back home.

Melton started his free agent tour with a visit to Minnesota and was scheduled to visit with Seattle before he could finalize a day for a visit with the Cowboys.

Despite some interest in big-name defensive ends Julius Peppers and Jared Allen, the Cowboys have their sights set on reeling in Melton.

Peppers, 34, and Allen, who turns 32 in early April, are aging veterans, and the Cowboys just rid themselves of two defensive line starters in their 30s in end DeMarcus Ware and tackle Jason Hatcher. Additionally, Peppers and Allen aren’t likely to come cheap considering they have a combined 247 sacks in a combined 22 seasons.

With just more than $7 million in salary cap space available to them, the Cowboys can’t set the market value of any player. So they wait and hope that other teams don’t put the price out of reach.

If Melton can somehow make it across the United States and back to Texas without first signing a deal with another team, the Cowboys will sit down with the 27-year-old local product.

Melton, who played in high school at Grapevine and in college at Texas, and Peppers both played for Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli while in Chicago.

Melton seems like a logical choice if the Cowboys can get him at the right price. He could step right in and start at the crucial 3-technique tackle spot in Marinelli’s 4-3 Tampa 2 defense. Melton has the speed that Marinelli and Monte Kiffin desire. He played some running back at Texas and ran a 4.6-second 40-yard dash at the Longhorns’ pro day.

Melton reached the Pro Bowl in 2012 under Marinelli, recording 44 tackles and six sacks for the Bears. Melton had seven sacks in 2011.

Last season, with Marinelli coaching the Cowboys’ defensive line, Melton played in only three games for the Bears before tearing his left anterior cruciate ligament. Melton, who is coming off of left ACL surgery, played last season as the Bears’ franchised player at $8.5 million.

Melton was arrested for a DWI before the Longhorns’ 2007 season. And on Dec. 22, Melton was arrested for public intoxication and assault because of an incident at a downtown Grapevine bar.

Peppers, who had a $13.9 million salary and more than $18 million cap figure, was cut this week by the Bears. Peppers had seven sacks last season, but he had 30½ sacks in three seasons under Marinelli.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
The old Jerra would have been waiting for Melton when he landed in Seattle...

Jerry gets who he wants!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Jerry will make a splash after cutting Ware. You watch. It might be Allen but I think he'll be too expensive.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't think Allen and Peppers would ask for anywhere near 12 mil annually, or whatever Ware was scheduled to make this year.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Can someone tweet Mickey that his job in hell will be to suck cock? Thanks.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Greatest thread in a while.

Never mind, cmd arrested for killing neighbor while backyard wrestling.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Sign Allen, Peppers, and Melton.

cap space, shmap smace. Non issue.

Reaction score
@SportsSturm·20 mins
Personally, I expect the Cowboys to do everything in their power to come away with Henry Melton. Upgraded to a must.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I want Melton, wasn't too upset with Peppers not signing, we can draft DE. Yeah, I would of been cool with both Peppers and Melton, but hey we released Ware for a reason.

Let's get Melton and draft heavy on DE's plus LB's.

Reaction score
I don't want Melton.

Don't know why. He'll probably do really well for us and all that. Just would rather draft to fix the DL instead of paying an injured free agent who excelled on another team.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I don't want Melton.

Don't know why. He'll probably do really well for us and all that. Just would rather draft to fix the DL instead of paying an injured free agent who excelled on another team.

I see your point because we're not sure what Melton we'll get. All signs are pointing to him being 100% by training camp. I still think we should draft heavy on DL regardless of who we sign. Defense is deep in this years draft. Melton will have to come at a decent price though if not forget it.

Reaction score
I would hope signing Melton wouldn't prevent us from
Addressing the line in the draft....but Jerry

Melton plus those two guys we signed plus getting the ben bass and Tyron Crawford back and remember Jerry called dl a strength last offseason. Yeah highly unlikely we go dl in the draft if this happens.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Good. Didn't want us spending money on an old head like Peppers.

Melton I'm torn on... He's young enough so I have hope he could be another La'Roi Glover for us but then I also think it'll be fucking pointless considering there's nothing but trash around him.

Reaction score
@toddarcher·58 mins
Henry Melton is back in Dallas, meets with Cowboys tomorrow but talks going on with several teams heating up.

Top Bottom