jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Rivers, Brinkley, Gachkar and Wilbur all have starting experience though. They're backups here. None of them are earth shattering players but it isn't hard to predict what we'd get from them if they had to play either, and that's what you want from backups.

Nobody thought much of the Durant signing when it happened and he turned into a dependable player. Carter was pretty much written off until the end of last yr, when he played his best football in 3+ yrs. McClain is a potential real loss, but he was available for a bag of peanuts for a reason.

They'll draft one or two LB's next month and there is no way to predict what may happen with free agency or with final cutdowns, another decent player could be added to the mix then too.

I just think you are going vastly overboard with this stuff.
You don't have a starting lineup of LBs. I am not panicking . I just see that as a major problem. Most people would be concerned if a whole unit didn't have starters. The FAs you listed did start a few games and they was not able to keep their starting positions. If you are okay with starting backup quality players, you have more faith in the coaching staff and McClay than what I have.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah but how much of that was due to it like being his final chance and him making the best of it? Nobody would touch him, except the Cowboys. So he had something to prove and played balls-to-the-wall.

Do you really believe he would have kept that intensity once he got paid?

I don't know if RoMac has the mental ability to know what he should do. Such a waste of talent.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
When you get fucking beat and made a bitch by Danny Woodhead... nuff said.

I have little faith that a Rivers, Wilbur, Gatchkar or Brinkley could do any better. At least Carter could make big plays from time to time. These other jags have not shown that ability. I am not stuck on Carter, but I wanted the LB position upgraded if anything. Instead, there is a big drop off in talent. The draft is the only hope.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I have little faith that a Rivers, Wilbur, Gatchkar or Brinkley could do any better. At least Carter could make big plays from time to time. These other jags have not shown that ability. I am not stuck on Carter, but I wanted the LB position upgraded if anything. Instead, there is a big drop off in talent. The draft is the only hope.

Well right now Lee is well ahead of schedule to return and by all accounts will be out there for OTA's...until he is hurt (hopefully he wont be) there's your upgrade...he's vastly better than McClain, Durant or Carter

Hitchens is going to be a very dependable starter. We need either one of the others guys we have to step up or potentially to draft the 3rd starter.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Well right now Lee is well ahead of schedule to return and by all accounts will be out there for OTA's...until he is hurt (hopefully he wont be) there's your upgrade...he's vastly better than McClain, Durant or Carter

Hitchens is going to be a very dependable starter. We need either one of the others guys we have to step up or potentially to draft the 3rd starter.
Lee should not even be in the discussion. If he plays two games, it will be a bonus. His body can not take the punishment. Hitchens is the only glimmer of hope with the LBs. That is it. Everything else is a gamble. This gamble could easily ruin the season.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Rivers, Brinkley, Gachkar and Wilbur all have starting experience though. They're backups here. None of them are earth shattering players but it isn't hard to predict what we'd get from them if they had to play either, and that's what you want from backups.

Nobody thought much of the Durant signing when it happened and he turned into a dependable player. Carter was pretty much written off until the end of last yr, when he played his best football in 3+ yrs. McClain is a potential real loss, but he was available for a bag of peanuts for a reason.

They'll draft one or two LB's next month and there is no way to predict what may happen with free agency or with final cutdowns, another decent player could be added to the mix then too.

I just think you are going vastly overboard with this stuff.

IncurableOptimist.jpg

David thinks Amelia Earhart will land any day now.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Lee should not even be in the discussion. If he plays two games, it will be a bonus. His body can not take the punishment. Hitchens is the only glimmer of hope with the LBs. That is it. Everything else is a gamble. This gamble could easily ruin the season.

Highly doubtful LB play is make or break for any season in a 4-3 defense, let alone this one.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Love how we pretend 12-4 wasn't a fluke, (it was) and how we pretend this is in any way a good team.

This is beyond dumb. No surprise that it comes from you. You're looking at the totality of the season and state it as being a fluke, correct?

Well how about you go game-by-game on the schedule and determine where the fluke or flukes occurred in each of those games. We'll wait.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Highly doubtful LB play is make or break for any season in a 4-3 defense, let alone this one.

What the heck ? We don't need LBs. Just fill the positions with CBs and safeties. That will teach the rest of the league that they don't need LBs.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
What the heck ? We don't need LBs. Just fill the positions with CBs and safeties. That will teach the rest of the league that they don't need LBs.

Meanwhile the scheme they've been running for the last two years places an emphasis on the LBs abilities to cover a lot of real estate to defend the passing game.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I didn't say we don't need them. I said its highly doubtful with the team we have that LB play one way or another is going to make or break the team. We made it work well enough last yr with a collection of guys who were considered bums or castoffs along with a slew of injuries, I really don't see that being much different this year.

The addition of Greg Hardy is massive. Tyrone Crawford is a good player. Demarcus Lawrence looks like he is going to be a good player. The pass rush is going to be a pretty significant improvement over anything we've had the past couple seasons. A good pass rush makes a lot of other areas with maybe lesser talent far less of an issue.

That said, I do believe our LB lay this year will be more than acceptable, barring a rash of major injuries.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Meanwhile the scheme they've been running for the last two years places an emphasis on the LBs abilities to cover a lot of real estate to defend the passing game.

I haven't seen evidence yet that this years group cant play in space. In fact we don't even know who will be out there yet.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score

Bullshit, David said we don't need LBs in this scheme. He is the real Football Educator.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Regarding the loss of Carter, McClain and Durant. All signs point to Carter and McClain falling short of expectations next year. So even if we kept those 2 our LB crop was going to sink eventually. And Durant probably misses a few games too.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This is beyond dumb. No surprise that it comes from you. You're looking at the totality of the season and state it as being a fluke, correct?

Well how about you go game-by-game on the schedule and determine where the fluke or flukes occurred in each of those games. We'll wait.
You're looking at 12-4 and have bought in. Just like in 2007 when you saw that 13-3. You're sold.

This team at its core is a fucking 8-8 or 9-7 at best mediocre shitville. 12-4 comes from fucking lucky breaks like lack of massive injuries on the defensive side of the ball, 116 fewer snaps played by that lousy fucking D due to 400 carries by your RB and a league leading and near all time record, 3rd down fucking conversion percentage. You ran into a Seattle team that was in disarray, a Saints team that turned out to be a shadow of what it once was, and got fucking lucky at Philadelphia.

There are always 20 or so such teams in the NFL starting every year, which are basically mediocre 8-8 squads but with the right breaks, fluke shit and a lot of luck, can be fucking 12-4. Dallas has been one of those mediocre 20, annually, for the last 12 years or so. It's the nature of this league.

Stop deluding yourself. This team sucks and has, for going on 20 fucking years. 12-4 ain't happening and it's not because of lost players off that mediocre fluke fucking team that had all the breaks go its way, one year.

You "see what's being built" and I see continued crap.

Top Bottom