Reaction score
Carter was not worth what the Bucs paid him.

Yes he is. He's a little bit of an athletic freak and makes certain things happen. Not sure why you over look his physical ability or his stats, but if he either gets the right coach or the right system, his ability can give the team a playmaking advantage. That's kind of worth the gamble. Bill Walsh said that if a player flashes an impressive skill then the coaches need make those flashes become their constant game skill. Of course, Bill Walsh isn't as smart or successful as your red headed genius, but Carter demonstrated much more than flashes - and his passes defensed and interceptions washed whatever liability that you and Jason thought he had.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Not really sure I understand this comment. How can you say he doesn't make a difference? He's one of the best LB's in football and a huge playmaker too.

There' no disputing his injury history, but he's a major difference maker when he is on the field.

He an not make a difference on IR every season. Any snaps he plays is bonus snaps. They can't build a defense centered around Lee. He is too unreliable.

Reaction score
McClain was a very good stopgap last year, but apparently he's seen as too unreliable/unstable to be a long-term solution.

Sounds like a "know when to say when" situation. Gotta be willing to walk away when it is in your best interest.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yes he is. He's a little bit of an athletic freak and makes certain things happen. Not sure why you over look his physical ability or his stats, but if he either gets the right coach or the right system, his ability can give the team a playmaking advantage. That's kind of worth the gamble. Bill Walsh said that if a player flashes an impressive skill then the coaches need make those flashes become their constant game skill. Of course, Bill Walsh isn't as smart or successful as your red headed genius, but Carter demonstrated much more than flashes - and his passes defensed and interceptions washed whatever liability that you and Jason thought he had.

Don't get sucked in by those 5 INTs. Yes he's an athletic freak, but it's not a coincidence that these guys that we lost just so happened to have saved and showed us their best in their CONTRACT YEAR.

He's inconsistent. He has good coaching and a good system in Marinelli.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What is it worth to have starting LBs? As of now, there is nothing but some jags on the roster that could not start on other teams.

Carter and Durant a before last year were those very same jags, and then just happened to step it up n their contract year.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Carter and Durant a before last year were those very same jags, and then just happened to step it up n their contract year.

I guess we will see. I think it is arrogant thinking to assume any jag can join the a Cowboy's defense and become a great player. Durant and Carter had the ability to be very good. Which one of these new jags have the ability? They haven't shown it with other teams.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

So all those times he got benched, that didn't really happen

Reaction score
And that inconsistency is not worth what the Bucs paid him.

I think that's right.

Most everyone saw this coming. We knew some team was going to pay for his highlight reel and ignore the times that he was benched.

Good luck to him.

The Cowboys drafted him when he was injured and thought his upside was worth the late start.

In retrospect, it wasn't a great decision. In general, I'm not sold on the strategy of drafting injured players. These players do come at a discount (later draft pick), but the time lost to recovery presents a number of problems (missed camp, time on rookie contract continues draw down during the recovery, etc.). Unless the player is a sure fire can't miss type (Gurley), I don't like it.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Is there any player that has left Dallas who is actually worth what they were paid?

Or is Dallas just so bottomed out in talent that all of these guys should be making minimum salaries?

Fuck, I saw a couple people at CZ say the Giants overpaid for Selvie and his $1M base is just $250K above what his minimum would be.

Perhaps the other teams haven't been paying too much, but have been paying what the new market dictates. If the cap is going up, guess what else goes up.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
Letting these overpaid players walk is just fine if you have the depth to replace them without a drop off in production. As it stands, Sean Lee and Hitchens are it. Lee will get injured , so that leaves Hitchens as the one and only starting caliber LB. The Hardy signing filled a huge hole, but this offseason has created even bigger holes. Don't forget the drop off in the quality of RB too. They are not building on the sucess that the team had last year. They are actually taking a step back. Mid has made a couple post about this team returning to 8-8 and I have to agree with him.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score

Carter has always had freak ability, but he is very slow to pick up on defensive scheme changes. He was really playing very well in the 3-4 defensive scheme, but the changes to the Tampa 2 really set him back until the second half of last season. He made some big plays after getting comfortable in the scheme. I guess Rivers can pick up the slack though.

jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
I am probably wrong on all these concerns and Marinelli will wave his magic wand to solve the problems. It won't be the first time that I have been wrong.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Rivers, Brinkley, Gachkar and Wilbur all have starting experience though. They're backups here. None of them are earth shattering players but it isn't hard to predict what we'd get from them if they had to play either, and that's what you want from backups.

Nobody thought much of the Durant signing when it happened and he turned into a dependable player. Carter was pretty much written off until the end of last yr, when he played his best football in 3+ yrs. McClain is a potential real loss, but he was available for a bag of peanuts for a reason.

They'll draft one or two LB's next month and there is no way to predict what may happen with free agency or with final cutdowns, another decent player could be added to the mix then too.

I just think you are going vastly overboard with this stuff.

Reaction score
McClain was very effective when he played and I liked his intense attitude. What a shame.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Carter has always had freak ability, but he is very slow to pick up on defensive scheme changes. He was really playing very well in the 3-4 defensive scheme, but the changes to the Tampa 2 really set him back until the second half of last season. He made some big plays after getting comfortable in the scheme. I guess Rivers can pick up the slack though.

When you get fucking beat and made a bitch by Danny Woodhead... nuff said.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
McClain was very effective when he played and I liked his intense attitude. What a shame.

Yeah but how much of that was due to it like being his final chance and him making the best of it? Nobody would touch him, except the Cowboys. So he had something to prove and played balls-to-the-wall.

Do you really believe he would have kept that intensity once he got paid?

Top Bottom