GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Cancel my original question about Kirkpatrick and Jenkins... I already asked him.. He took Jenkins..replace that with this

The cowboys have a plethora of holes..namely interior offensive linemen, defensive backs, and pass rushers..given Dallas' draft position and taking into consideration this drafts strengths and weaknesses, how strongly would you consider Decastro at 14 if available?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Here are the 15 questions we are submitting:

1. which mid to late round QB prospect would you expect the Cowboys to have an interest in. Someone who would fit the timing based offense the Cowboys run. -midswat

2. Who is a under-the-radar pass rusher who could blow up the combine and NFL? -MarionBarberThe4th

3. Matt. Could you expound on the top C prospects? How many would you rank to be good starting candidates from Day 1? Three prospects (Peter Konz, Ben Jones, Michael Brewster)? Two (Konz, Ben Jones)? One, only Konz? After those three candidates, should we even bother with any other C for better value? Any sleepers there at C? Any OGs who could make the switch to C?
- ExtremeMcClean

4. Matt. Would the Cowboys consider Andre Branch (Clemson) as a possible opposite to Ware if he's available in the 2nd? -LAZARUS_LOGAN

5. Do you think there's something we don’t yet know about the Vontaze Burfict story? -MarionBarberThe4th

6. Mr. Miller, What projected first rounder do you feel has the biggest bust potential? - DoomdayDefense

7. What day three corners interest you? -DoomsdayDefense

8. Matt, Looking back at two prospects Dallas drafted last year if you still have notes: Bruce Carter and David Arkin. Do you remember what your thoughts on them were? And do you think Carter can make the transition to ILB, and Arkin to guard? Are these players you think the Cowboys and their fans can rely on? Thanks, CobraKai

9. The Cowboys need starters. Give me the guy who is going to be available at our slot, is a value pick, and plays a position where he can contribute from day 1 even if our coaching staff doesn't want him to. – superpunk

10. Matt. Is this a strong or weak draft for 3-4 type defenders? –ExtremeMcClean

11. Matt, Do you see some of the "second tier" pass rushers available in this draft as being close to Ingram and Upshaw.. or possibly even better players in the long run? AKA Mercilus, Branch, Curry. –RoytheHammer

12. Matt, what positions do you feel the most confident scouting? And what numbers (ht/wt 40 time, shuttle time, bench reps, etc) are the most telling for each position? –midswat

13. Every year there's a surprise pick, surprise fall, or something otherwise unexpected in the first round. Any predictions as to what that surprise might be this year? – midswat

14. The cowboys have a plethora of holes..namely interior offensive linemen, defensive backs, and pass rushers..given Dallas' draft position and taking into consideration this drafts strengths and weaknesses, how strongly would you consider Decastro at 14 if available? - GloryDaysRBack

15. How do teams weigh game film on players who transfer out of a big time program into a small school? (Janzen Jackson, Janoris Jenkins) Do they put more weight on the older tape since the level of competition is much better or newer tape to see if the player is giving full effort? –cmd34

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I like how everyone says, "Matt" at the beginning of their question like the question would be directed to anyone else in the Matt Miller Q&A thread.

BRMattMiller

Spectator
Reaction score
Hi guys! Let me first apologize for the delay in responding. The NFL Scouting Combine and then immediate pro days have killed my time to write much outside of assigned articles.

Thanks for asking me to contribute. Hopefully the answers here help in some way.

- M

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. which mid to late round QB prospect would you expect the Cowboys to have an interest in. Someone who would fit the timing based offense the Cowboys run. -midswat

First, I have to say that I'm a big Stephen McGee fan. That said, I really like the idea of Russell Wilson in Dallas if he slips to round five. Wilson ran a WCO at NC State and a timing-based, play action offense at Wisconsin. He's also a special athlete who could produce outside the pocket.

2. Who is a under-the-radar pass rusher who could blow up the combine and NFL? -MarionBarberThe4th

Since we're past the Combine, I'll let you know who my top pass rusher is. Nick Perry from USC. This kid's first step is the best of any pass rusher in the 2012 class. On an athletic level he's very close to Von Miller. Now, I don't expect the same Year One impact, but they are similar players.

3. Matt. Could you expound on the top C prospects? How many would you rank to be good starting candidates from Day 1? Three prospects (Peter Konz, Ben Jones, Michael Brewster)? Two (Konz, Ben Jones)? One, only Konz? After those three candidates, should we even bother with any other C for better value? Any sleepers there at C? Any OGs who could make the switch to C?
- ExtremeMcClean

I have the centers ranked as follows: Peter Konz, Ben Jones, David Molk, Philip Blake, Michael Brewster. You can find a starting center in later rounds if you're scouting department knows the scheme well enough. Blake is an interesting player, and one who could be a starter coming out of the mid-rounds.

4. Matt. Would the Cowboys consider Andre Branch (Clemson) as a possible opposite to Ware if he's available in the 2nd? -LAZARUS_LOGAN

I like Andre Branch quite a bit. He's a possible late first-rounder with so many 3-4 defenses there at the end of the round. If available, Dallas would be lucky to have him opposite Ware.

5. Do you think there's something we don’t yet know about the Vontaze Burfict story? -MarionBarberThe4th

Burfict is among the most disappointing prospects I've ever scouted. His ability and potential are amazing, but his character and work ethic are pathetic. I wouldn't draft him.

6. Mr. Miller, What projected first rounder do you feel has the biggest bust potential? - DoomdayDefense

Justin Blackmon, Dre Kirkpatrick, Quinton Coples. All three are "name" players who produced at varying levels, but don't have the fundamentals of NFL stars, in my opinion. All three will be overdrafted.

7. What day three corners interest you? -DoomsdayDefense

Shaun Prater from Iowa is a sleeper, Mike Harris from FSU could be a starter. And Ron Brooks, from LSU. If he falls to Day 3 he's going to be a steal.

8. Matt, Looking back at two prospects Dallas drafted last year if you still have notes: Bruce Carter and David Arkin. Do you remember what your thoughts on them were? And do you think Carter can make the transition to ILB, and Arkin to guard? Are these players you think the Cowboys and their fans can rely on? Thanks, CobraKai

I had a top 15 grade on Bruce Carter. The trouble will be how well he plays coming off injury, but the talent is there. Next to Sean Lee, he should excel. NaVorro Bowman-type athlete. Arkin is a local kid to me, so I've seen him a lot. He's the definition of a project, and with the lockout shortened offseason I would be surprised if he contributes in 2012.

9. The Cowboys need starters. Give me the guy who is going to be available at our slot, is a value pick, and plays a position where he can contribute from day 1 even if our coaching staff doesn't want him to. – superpunk

Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina. This kid is being overlooked, but he's as clean a prospect at the position as there is. He's big, fast, strong at the point of attack, can press/bail and is a plus return man. Super safe, great value, fills a need.

10. Matt. Is this a strong or weak draft for 3-4 type defenders? –ExtremeMcClean

I would call it a strong year due to the quality of nose tackle and 3-4 OLB prospects. The DE grouping is a little weak, but I do like Michael Brockers and Jared Crick a lot in a five-technique.

11. Matt, Do you see some of the "second tier" pass rushers available in this draft as being close to Ingram and Upshaw.. or possibly even better players in the long run? AKA Mercilus, Branch, Curry. –RoytheHammer

My first-tier is Nick Perry, then a drop off to Upshaw, Ingram and Curry. Mercilus worries me, as he had just one good year. The athletic ability is there though. Branch has a really good first step, but poor hand use. It's a coachable issue though. All five look like first-rounders to me.

12. Matt, what positions do you feel the most confident scouting? And what numbers (ht/wt 40 time, shuttle time, bench reps, etc) are the most telling for each position? –midswat

I played wide receiver, running back, defensive end (at 170 lbs), cornerback and free safety. When coaching I worked with quarterbacks and then the OL my last year. I guess I feel most comfortable with QBs still, but any position is fairly comfortable outside of kickers and punters.

I'm a fan of the "Explosive Number" method, which looks at bench press reps + broad jump + vertical jump to generate an "explosive number". It's a great tool to measure player's lower and upper body strength.

13. Every year there's a surprise pick, surprise fall, or something otherwise unexpected in the first round. Any predictions as to what that surprise might be this year? – midswat

Dontari Poe will be the "surprise" top 10 pick after his Combine performance. I've also been told by three separate sources that the Browns really like Ryan Tannehill at #4 overall. I don't agree with it, but it's there.

14. The cowboys have a plethora of holes..namely interior offensive linemen, defensive backs, and pass rushers..given Dallas' draft position and taking into consideration this drafts strengths and weaknesses, how strongly would you consider Decastro at 14 if available? - GloryDaysRBack

If DeCastro is there at 14, and Jerry Jones asked me, that would be the pick. Smart teams don't pass up All-Pro caliber guards in the middle of the first round. DeCastro has elite ability, and will be an instant strength at his position.

15. How do teams weigh game film on players who transfer out of a big time program into a small school? (Janzen Jackson, Janoris Jenkins) Do they put more weight on the older tape since the level of competition is much better or newer tape to see if the player is giving full effort? –cmd34

When a player drops down a level you definitely weigh who he's playing against. A common misconception is that teams scout production, when most don't care. I've not looked at a stat sheet all season, because I was taught to scout traits and not numbers. For Jenkins in particular, you can still scout his hips, his feet, his speed, his hands without knowing or considering who he is playing against. It does factor in when looking at man play (press/bail, pursuit, etc.), but that's what the Senior Bowl is for.

Reaction score
BRMattMiller said:
I had a top 15 grade on Bruce Carter. The trouble will be how well he plays coming off injury, but the talent is there. Next to Sean Lee, he should excel. NaVorro Bowman-type athlete.

High praise for Bruce Carter. You have to feel good about that.

BRMattMiller said:
Justin Blackmon, Dre Kirkpatrick, Quinton Coples. All three are "name" players who produced at varying levels, but don't have the fundamentals of NFL stars, in my opinion. All three will be overdrafted.

Wow. I don't like Coples anyway, but I've been on Kirkpatricks bandwagon.

Reaction score
Burfict is among the most disappointing prospects I've ever scouted. His ability and potential are amazing, but his character and work ethic are pathetic. I wouldn't draft him.

Gotta say, if I'm taking a bigger interest in your status than that's a problem Taze.
I'll give him this, there's a 2010 highlight reel of him laying the pipe on offenses. There's a there there. Maybe he got demoralized by the coach? Maybe some personal issues idk. But i know he's capable of great things. I'd take him in the 3rd.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gotta say, if I'm taking a bigger interest in your status than you apparently ate that's a problem Taze. I'll give him this, there's a 2010 highlight reel of him laying the pipe on offenses. There's a there there. Maybe he got demoralized by the coach? Maybe some personal issues idk. But o know he's capable of great things. Of take him in the 3rd.

You're a failure to capitalize properly away from reading like cowboyjoe.

Top Bottom