Reaction score
I don't pay the media here any mind. Whenever I want to read about my Cowboys, I seek out the latest Touch of Hostility, YR's Meaningless Thoughts on ____, Couchscouts View from the Couch, whatever ShockandRoll calls his "article", whatever Casmith calls his "article", Kristie's video blog, or a cowboyjoe tybuddy recap.

Reaction score
I cant believe anyone in their right mind would be defending Calvin Watkins in this thread. Either you dont know shit about his history here as a beat writer or your just trying to pile on the team further.

Watkins has always been a class A tool.

Not defending him, saying it is stupid to get up and act like he is going to fight him. It's childish.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Not defending him, saying it is stupid to get up and act like he is going to fight him. It's childish.

I agree with that, but at the same time everyone knows ratliff is a nut and he is very serious. Just like aikman and haley you just didnt mess with those guys with nonsense.

watkins knows this and he knew exactly who he would get a reaction out of.

its the same reason tim mcmahon will not leave bradie james and martellus bennett alone. he gets a reaction out of them so for three years he has been poking them beyond being a writer covering the team, taking personal shots at them on twitter and stuff.

bradie finally wised up last year and refuses to talk to mcmahon. Bennett should learn this but he probably is only on this team for 3 or hopefully 4,5,6 more games this year.

by the way bradie was right there yesterday also. looks like on the video he is over by watkins.

This stuff has been going on for years. Ken hamlin and marion barber used to refuse to talk to these guys because of the stuff they would ask repeatedly. Hamlin used to throw the espn guys out!!

its a shame because there are some good writers here, Todd Archer, David moore and jen engle when she wants to actually write about football.

Reaction score
So these guys are allowing Watkins to basically bully them. In all honesty though if Watkins did not ask about Hurd he would not be doing his job. It would be naive to think he just started doing this and there are also some implications of him supplying to NFL players...since he spent the bulk of his career with the Cowboys it makes sense to ask about it.

What if Bennett and Spears don't hold him back and he assaults Watkins? That would just be ugly and he would probably end up missing some time. Nothing good would come from that.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
So these guys are allowing Watkins to basically bully them. In all honesty though if Watkins did not ask about Hurd he would not be doing his job. It would be naive to think he just started doing this and there are also some implications of him supplying to NFL players...since he spent the bulk of his career with the Cowboys it makes sense to ask about it.

What if Bennett and Spears don't hold him back and he assaults Watkins? That would just be ugly and he would probably end up missing some time. Nothing good would come from that.

Bullying no, watkins is in a position of power, they are essentially forced to talk to these guys. he knows that and again the problem is with a few local guys. they know exactly who to get after. Roy williams the safety was the same way, he used to get frustrated.

I can remember jjt and calvin hill asking like 10 straight times in 05 who was responsible for the poor defense in the secondary etc....and he would answer them, he would say he was struggling and that they are working on it, then jjt would write an article about how williams was blaming others and doesnt care etc.....they keep asking the same thing in new ways to get a certain reaction.

this stuff doesnt work with romo, ware, spears because they have the personalities that they just keep giving the same answer and blowing them off.

guys like ratliff are wired different and get pissed when this routine is pulled on them.

the writers know that, that is why u have never seen say Todd Archer ever involved in this and he is there everyday because he knows the guys personalities. he knows enough to ask once get a sufficient answer and move on. No need to get personal.

for some reason watkins, mcmahon, hill and others like to get the reactions and love the drama.

Reaction score
Bullying no, watkins is in a position of power, they are essentially forced to talk to these guys. he knows that and again the problem is with a few local guys. they know exactly who to get after. Roy williams the safety was the same way, he used to get frustrated.

I can remember jjt and calvin hill asking like 10 straight times in 05 who was responsible for the poor defense in the secondary etc....and he would answer them, he would say he was struggling and that they are working on it, then jjt would write an article about how williams was blaming others and doesnt care etc.....they keep asking the same thing in new ways to get a certain reaction.

this stuff doesnt work with romo, ware, spears because they have the personalities that they just keep giving the same answer and blowing them off.

guys like ratliff are wired different and get pissed when this routine is pulled on them.

the writers know that, that is why u have never seen say Todd Archer ever involved in this and he is there everyday because he knows the guys personalities. he knows enough to ask once get a sufficient answer and move on. No need to get personal.

for some reason watkins, mcmahon, hill and others like to get the reactions and love the drama.

They are getting the exact response they want from Ratliff...emotional and dramatic. Ratliff needs to realize that and be bigger than that.

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a big deal. The players can handle themselves. These dudes are vets. They have been around the block. Big bad media hurting the poor Cowboys. I watch the interviews each week. These players aren’t being bullied. They know how to handle the Dallas media.

Reaction score
Roy Williams has nothing to say to Sam Hurd
Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2011, 7:20 AM EST

Bears receiver Sam Hurd is entitled to the presumption of innocence in court, regarding the drug trafficking charges he faces. In the locker room, however, it sounds like at least one of his teammates is ready to presume that Hurd is guilty as charged.

“This is just very shocking to me,” receiver Roy Williams said Thursday, via Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune. “And I’m kind of pissed off at him, too, because it’s a really selfish act. He has let us down in the wide receiver group, in which we were so close. He let down the wide receivers coach, the head coach, the Bears organization and the city.”

Then again, Williams isn’t completely turning his back on Hurd, adding: “But that’s my boy, too.”

Williams and Hurd were teammates for two-plus seasons in Dallas, and they signed with the Bears on the same day in July of this year. Still, if Hurd were to reach out to Williams, Hurd wouldn’t get much of a response.

“Nothing,” Williams said when asked what he’d say is Hurd reached out. “He’s a grown man. It’s not like he’s 12. He knew what he was doing and what he was getting himself into. There’s nothing I can say.”

It’s hard not to wonder how much Williams knew about what Hurd was doing, given that Williams seems to be so sure that Hurd was doing what he allegedly did.

Reaction score
Wouldn't suprise me if Hurd, Williams, and Bennett - all very talented individuals - failed to live up to expectations because they're all methcokeweedheads.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
They are getting the exact response they want from Ratliff...emotional and dramatic. Ratliff needs to realize that and be bigger than that.

Yes I agree on that.

i am also saying that what watkins does is intentional and he is at fault. he is there to cover a football team but for some reason he is always involved in some drama, he is always explaining some angle of nonsense and he loves to get attention from espn tv and pft.

ratliff should go the bradie route for sure but that does not absolve guys like watkins and mcmahon from this stuff. like I said Todd Archer has been here longer than both of them he has seen even more of these bizarre losses up close but has never stooped to this level and always is about football.

Reaction score

If Watkins wants to be a tough guy and not back off when he's asked to back off from a 300 lb man, then he deserves to get his ass beat. I don't know if he thinks he's some kinda tough guy, or he should be allowed to say whatever the fuck he wants because he's "media" but you saying he's "just doing his job" by what he did is dumb. There are a hundred other reporters who seem to be able to do their job without pissing players off or harassing them. Asking a question is fine, but when you are told that a player/coach doesn't want to discuss that, next question.. and you keep going back and asking that same question over and over.. that's called harassing a player and not only will you not get the information you want, but the next time you go to do a story or article, you'll most likely get even less information from that player/coach. So not only is it stupid to harass them about a particular issue if they say they don't want to talk about it, its also completely unprofessional and counter productive.

Again, when a fellow journalist is right there and says he saw it and it wasn't Ratliff's fault at all.. that tells me all i need to know, and it tells me Watkins was harassing him about the issue. If he's not going to answer the question the first time, what the hell makes you think he will the 10th time you ask it?

Reaction score
Wouldn't suprise me if Hurd, Williams, and Bennett - all very talented individuals - failed to live up to expectations because they're all methcokeweedheads.

Bull. We need more methcokeweed heads.. that's what this team has been missing since back in the early 90's glory days. Ever since we got clean, we've been awful.

Reaction score
If Watkins wants to be a tough guy and not back off when he's asked to back off from a 300 lb man, then he deserves to get his ass beat. I don't know if he thinks he's some kinda tough guy, or he should be allowed to say whatever the fuck he wants because he's "media" but you saying he's "just doing his job" by what he did is dumb. There are a hundred other reporters who seem to be able to do their job without pissing players off or harassing them. Asking a question is fine, but when you are told that a player/coach doesn't want to discuss that, next question.. and you keep going back and asking that same question over and over.. that's called harassing a player and not only will you not get the information you want, but the next time you go to do a story or article, you'll most likely get even less information from that player/coach. So not only is it stupid to harass them about a particular issue if they say they don't want to talk about it, its also completely unprofessional and counter productive.

Again, when a fellow journalist is right there and says he saw it and it wasn't Ratliff's fault at all.. that tells me all i need to know, and it tells me Watkins was harassing him about the issue. If he's not going to answer the question the first time, what the hell makes you think he will the 10th time you ask it?
Nothing good could come from him assaulting Watkins...once you get that through your retarded head we can move on.

Reaction score
Nothing good could come from him assaulting Watkins...once you get that through your retarded head we can move on.

lol

I wasn't proposing that Ratliff should have beat his ass.. only that Watkins would have deserved it and i would have enjoyed it. Again, when a fellow journalist is standing right there and makes a point to say Rat's reaction wasn't his fault at all, it should be pretty clear what the problem was and who caused it.

Reaction score

Also, its hilarious that you call me retarded while defending a reporter harassing a player as "just doing his job".

How about if i come to your place of business and start asking you about how you raped and killed that girl in 1990. You tell me you don't want to talk about that, and i keep asking about it.. again, and again, and again, and again..

Surely, that wouldn't make you angry at all or cause you to eventually lose your cool, right?

After all, im just doing my job..

Last edited:

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Also, its hilarious that you call me retarded while defending a reporter harassing a player as "just doing his job".

How about if i come to your place of business and start asking you about how you raped and killed that girl in 1990. You tell me you don't want to talk about that, and i keep asking about it.. again, and again, and again, and again..

Surely, that wouldn't make you angry at all or cause you to eventually lose your cool, right?

After all, im just doing my job..

lol

What a stupid analogy. Asking questions about something that is happening right now is comparable to a hypothetical situation that happened 21 years ago? Ok.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
McMahon was asked to point out that Hurd has been removed from bents business for awhile.

And he even has an attitude in doing that.

Those guys really are troublemakers.

Top Bottom