Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He said the conversation "went south" after asking about Hurd, you have no idea what went south meant or what actually set him off.

Like I said Ratliff is all buisness. He was on in training camp with Ritchie and greggo on the fan, both are clueless.

Ratliff was getting agitated with their stupidity from the start. This is kind of how he has always been in interviews unless he is promoting a charity.

So I imagine seeing that the guys don't like the espn guys which has been a long standing problem here, that it started tense and went beyond that because of ratliiffs fuse and Calvin Watkins being a ******.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yeah and from reading they didn't "fight" Jay just decided he was going to let this chump know what he thought of him.

Reaction score
Lol at well respected.

Pro football crap calling calvin Watkins well respected is right on the money.

Joe avezzano said in the post game the other night that the media here asks some stupid dumbass questions.

This was right after Clarence hill and Calvin Watkins asked romo about 5 straight irrelevant questions.

Funny stuff.
It's like the dregs of the media have a backroom handshake deal to talk up each other. If I say you're well-respected, you'll return the favor right?

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
It's like the dregs of the media have a backroom handshake deal to talk up each other. If I say you're well-respected, you'll return the favor right?

I respect you amigo, I mean that.

Reaction score
calvinwatkins Calvin Watkins
Had a confrontation with a player today I shouldn't have let escalate. I regret not walking away. onward to Saturday in Tampa.
4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I just watched it.

Cant see calvin but you can see spears and bennett telling ratliff to forget it or whatever.

and as suspected martellus bennett is actually yelling at watkins more than i see jay.

I am telling you there is tension there because watkins and mcmahon get into it with these guys on twitter. Bennett said it right out to mcmahon that no one likes the espn guys...

i am uploading it now. And of course steve dennis has to throw in that every year when Dallas collapses it gets mad at the media....that guy is another button pusher...he is a nut.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
umm I have a problem with this....not the ratliff watkins thing, but why is the team allowing the local media to shoot them running special teams trick plays!!!

[video=youtube;6PWXcfQJjnI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PWXcfQJjnI&list=UU3tIRjlPRM8YpiDqbWbSUiw&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
[video=youtube;9HNgqQVHI_8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8[/video]

Reaction score
umm I have a problem with this....not the ratliff watkins thing, but why is the team allowing the local media to shoot them running special teams trick plays!!!

[video=youtube;6PWXcfQJjnI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PWXcfQJjnI&list=UU3tIRjlPRM8YpiDqbWbSUiw&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

I think were good. They done use trick plays.

Reaction score
Everyone else is assigning blame to Watkins...in the interest of fairness please ask them the same question.

I guess the consensus is that if someone asks you a question you don't like it is alright to fight them. Pretty childish, but alright.

When a fellow journalist is right there and makes a point to specifically say that here was right there and it was definitely NOT Rat's fault.. what do you expect?

Watkins, like most media, is a fucking douchebag.

I said it on another site, but i don't agree with forcing players to talk to the media. I don't mind them having locker room access at all, but if a player doesn't want to take questions or talk, he shouldn't be forced to. The main reasoning i have for that is you never hear any solid, quality questions being asked anyway.. its always some jackass like Watkins asking the same 3 questions over and over again until the player gets pissed and tells him that's all, walk away. If he chooses to keep pressing, he should face whatever consequences come with it.

Like someone else said, they are both still men and when its clear that you're pissing a guy off and he has politely said more than once that he doesn't want to respond to a particular question you either shut your fucking mouth or this kind of thing is bound to happen.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I cant believe anyone in their right mind would be defending Calvin Watkins in this thread. Either you dont know shit about his history here as a beat writer or your just trying to pile on the team further.

Watkins has always been a class A tool.

Reaction score
One take on Jay Ratliff's near physical altercation with a beat reporter

IRVING - What happened in the Cowboys' locker room between nose tackle Jay Ratliff and a veteran Cowboys beat reporter on Thursday should not come as a giant surprise. I was there to witness the "fun", which was a tad uncomfortable, and totally predictable.

Ratliff had to be physically separated from long-time Cowboys beat reporter Calvin Watkins, who now works for ESPNDallas.com. Watkins previously worked for the Star-Telegram, Dallas Morning News and has been around this team for years.

On Thursday, Watkins was asking Ratliff about the news regarding former Cowboys receiver Sam Hurd's arrest for drug trafficking. The chat went south quickly; suddenly I see Marcus Spears and Martellus Bennett pushing both Ratliff and Watkins in opposite directions. Some rather unfriendly, and unprintable, words were exchanged. Something like, "You stink." "No, you stink" ... only with saltier language, at a much higher volume.

UPDATE: Per some information from some more people who were there, apparently Calvin was really pushing on this one when Jay told him to "walk away." Calvin did not, and that's when the fun started.

While most of the media horde was surrounding Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, who during this near altercation said, "My money's on Ratliff."

Don't believe that this high-pitched conversation had anything to do with the Cowboys having lost a pair of games, and are in the process of falling apart again in December. How this type of thing has not happened with Jay Ratliff sooner is the real shock.

For my money, Jay Ratliff is one of these guys who you just really don't want to mess with because you're never sure which Jay Ratliff is there that day.

Don't believe me? Fine. Believe his teammate.

It was DeMarcus Ware who said of Ratliff: "They are two different guys. One is a jokester, and Jay wants to grab and choke you.... You don’t know what to expect from Jay. One day Jay will come in happy and the next day he’ll roll his eyes. And I’m like, ‘We’re going to have a long day.’"

Ware said this a few days after the obscure 7th-round pick out of Auburn was pressed into the starting role in September of 2007 because of a season-ending injury to Jason Ferguson.

When he is in the right mood, Jay can be charming, funny, bright and very well-spoken. When he's not in the right mood, forget it. There can be level of aggression that this guy projects that is exceptionally uncomfortable for just about any environment other than a football field.

Jay's relationship with the media has always been testy. Something happened with a reporter when he was a teenager and he never really got over it, or at the very least he's leery of us as a whole.

My gut tells me after what I saw Thursday that really hasn't changed too much.

Read more: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...ation-with-a-beat-reporter.html#ixzz1gheRNUfb

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Tim McMahon is doing this morning exactly what he and Watkins and Calvin hill for that matter always do.

For no reason he is poking at Bennett, insinuating that he is involved with Hurd.

Yes Hurd was part of bennett's t shirt company. But the way and the reasoning for it are pretty clear, McMahon just likes to poke these guys and get reactions same as Watkins. This is what these two have always done.

This is why a lot of our players don't talk to the espn people. Even romo didn't talk to Matt mosely for a long time because of the false misleading things he was saying about him on the local espn radio and romo is about as easy going as they come.

Those guys over there are just awful. This there only intent, especially Watkins to stir up some controversy so they can get on national tv. Watkins has said repeatedly on the radio here how much he loves being espn tv.

It's too bad because we have David Moore and Todd archer who actually do a good job here.

Top Bottom