Reaction score
Jason Garrett will not be making the final decision on Cowboys' draft picks

AText Size By GERRY FRALEY / Dallas Morning News
Published 25 January 2011 11:05 PM

More on this storyMOBILE, Ala. — Jason Garrett’s presence at the Senior Bowl does not mean that he has added the draft to his duties as Cowboys head coach.

Garrett is among only a handful of NFL head coaches observing the workouts. A year ago, predecessor Wade Phillips did not attend what is a significant event in the pre-draft process.

Garrett said Tuesday he will have a voice in the draft operation but will not make the final call on picks.

“The way I like to say it is that I’m not the sole decision maker,” Garrett said. “A lot of people seem interested in that. We’ll make the decisions collectively as an organization.”

Garrett said the Cowboys have an “accomplished scouting department” that is well into the process of talent evaluation. Garrett and his coaches are getting their first look at draft-eligible players in the Senior Bowl workouts.

The assistants will be involved in the draft, he said. The major difference for Garrett is that he must look at all players. In his previous life as offensive coordinator, he focused only on players from that side of the football.

“We have a good process,” Garrett said. “As a head coach, certainly I’m very much involved in the whole process. We understand our personnel department is way ahead of the coaches. We’ll learn more about [draft-eligible players] as the off-season goes and we’ll certainly be involved in that evaluation process.”

Plymkr

Reaction score
Yes, Dallas has a scouting department.

Unfortunately, Jerry Jones is part of it. And will have final say.

Did anyone seriously think it would be any different ? Good lord.

Reaction score
There's not going to be a player on this team that Jason Garrett approve of.

Also, Jason Garrett will have final authority of who plays, and how much.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yes, Dallas has a scouting department.

Unfortunately, Jerry Jones is part of it. And will have final say.

Did anyone seriously think it would be any different ? Good lord.

Do you seriously think this is different than any other team in the league?

Wait, the GM, scouting department, owner, head coach and coaching staff ALL have a say in who is drafted? SHOCKING ASIA!!!!! I AM AGHAST! JERRY IS RUINING EVERYTHING!

Reaction score
You'll soon realize this there is a secret competition amongst members here as to who can openly display their disdain for Jerry the most.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
This will only improve the chances of us drafting Von Miller. Now that Garrett has to evaluate defensive as well as offensive guys, he's gonna be wowed by how fast Von Miller is getting around that edge, and he'll be OURS!!

sbk92

Reaction score

Yes.

In sane NFL cities, the GM decides who gets drafted.

A real GM. With a personnel background. Not an owner pretending to be one with his wallet.

C

Cr122

This will only improve the chances of us drafting Von Miller. Now that Garrett has to evaluate defensive as well as offensive guys, he's gonna be wowed by how fast Von Miller is getting around that edge, and he'll be OURS!!

Fuck Von Miller he sucks!

C

Cr122

Ayuh, Jerry trying to convince everyone that Jason has this so called control.

BULLSHIT!!

Plymkr

Reaction score

Wait, the GM, scouting department, owner, head coach and coaching staff ALL have a say in who is drafted? SHOCKING ASIA!!!!! I AM AGHAST! JERRY IS RUINING EVERYTHING!

Oh great, another one.

Top Bottom