Reaction score
I'm a glass half full person. Always have been, always will be.

And that goes for the Cowboys. I go into every season with optomism.

Cythim

Reaction score
http://dallascowboystimes.com/2010/...fensive-line-run-blocking-and-overall-grades/

Free graded as the worst in run blocking and ahead of Colombo and Flo in pass blocking. They give Flo a pass because of the talent level he faced compared to the RT but I don't see why they wouldn't reflect that in their rating. You can pick it apart if you want but it is just as speculative as any other rating system. Free was average in 2009. You believe different because you want him to be the league's best LT.

Cythim

Reaction score
I'm a glass half full person. Always have been, always will be.

And that goes for the Cowboys. I go into every season with optomism.

I want Free to be great, but I don't want to sign him to a franchise deal without seeing more out of him first.

Reaction score
I want Free to be great, but I don't want to sign him to a franchise deal without seeing more out of him first.

I don't want to give him a franchise deal either. But I don't think he needs replacing. He's pretty low on the priority list, IMO.

"Elite" LT's are rare.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
SBK has a great point about signing Free to a large contract. I like Free as a stop-gap at LT but he isn't going to be my franchise LT and should not be paid as such. Listing a bunch of "non-elite" LTs that won the Super Bowl is an argument for this position and not against it. Over paying a player because he is the best you currently have is a bad management decision, but the one the Cowboys will probably make.

Who said that he would be overpaid? And how much of a premium do you put on Romo's health? You can go on and on about him being or not being a premium/elite LT, but the most important question is how much do you value Romo, and has Free shown that he can consistantly protect Romo's blindside, and is there a better option out there at the moment.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
because at this point we still don't know a lot about Free.

That cuts both ways. You say that he cannot be a franchise LT because we still do not know a lot about him, but in the same vein how can you be so dismissive about him when at this point we still do not know alot about him.

We have seen him play one season with a crap line, backup QB and constant chipping help. The Cowboys would've been smart to sign him to an extension before he got too good instead of letting this play out where he will expect to get paid more than he is currently worth.

Where the chipping help? I am not saying that he didn't get chiiping help because I'm sure EVERY LT---even the best get it from time to time, but you are suggesting that it's a constant for Free, which is bullshit.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Actually we saw him at RT in 2009, not LT, and he was average at best in that performance and worse than Colombo. As for the extension, if we signed him before the 2009 regular season it probably would've been for a reasonable price because he was still a backup. Your logic in thinking I would've bashed the move is beyond absurd.

Now you really are full of shit.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dude, your talking out of your ass now. He was quite good at RT.

He was excellant at RT. Nobody argues that he wouldn't be a better RT than LT, and hope that if we get Smith, Free slides back to RT. I never saw Colombo get donwfield on a block that sprung Felix for a TD the wat Free did. Free would have done a better job against Ray Edwards in the playoffs than what Colombo did.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You can watch the games and see all the chips. You can't watch the games and see how he graded against all the other OTs in the league.

Why are there so many idiots on this forum? Can't you go back to the zone? Take bob with you.

Show us.

Cythim

Reaction score
He never suggested that he wouldn't. YOU are the one that said he would be overpaid, and he asked you like myself, as to how do you know.

This thread is about having two big tackle contracts and my reasoning for no is that giving Free a big contract right now will be overpaying him. It is based on a hypothetical situation.

Cythim

Reaction score
Who said that he would be overpaid? And how much of a premium do you put on Romo's health? You can go on and on about him being or not being a premium/elite LT, but the most important question is how much do you value Romo, and has Free shown that he can consistantly protect Romo's blindside, and is there a better option out there at the moment.

I'm not arguing to replace him, I am arguing to not give him a contract that he is not worth. If we get him for face value I'll keep him around but if he is looking for elite LT pay then he can hit the road.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You can watch the games and see all the chips. You can't watch the games and see how he graded against all the other OTs in the league.

Why are there so many idiots on this forum? Can't you go back to the zone? Take bob with you.

You the f ucking johnny-mae-come-lately.

Top Bottom