Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
First ballot.

He should be
But if he doesn't retire with a Super Bowl ring on his finger I can see them overlooking him for a year or more. But not much longer than that

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
True
He's such a good guy on and off the field that I doubt there are many that would try to block him like they have other players

Look at Tim Brown - by all accounts he was a great guy, great team mate but the lack of a SB hurt him

Even with all the records he had and all he accomplished

Then on the other end of the spectrum you have Haley. The only player to have 5 SB rings and he gets snubbed for years. Many writers didn't like him for obvious reason. He wasn't a great team mate a lot of the time. Caused problems everywhere he went

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No isn't hard to agree with. That Romo, Dez and Witten are able to put up numbers despite of the offense is just a testament to how once in a generation type players that they are.

Sorry, I disagree

Dave Shula from 89/90 says hello

Reaction score
Maybe I'm reaching here.... but does anyone remember how complimentary of Linehan Romo was as soon as Linehan was hired? I seem to remember Romo being somewhat over the top with how he described how him and Linehan just clicked, Linehan had good ideas, etc.

Anyone else kind of find it telling that Romo would immediately warm up to a new offensive coach when he's supposedly got this great bond with the in place alledged offensive minded head coach?

I'm just thinking, desperately hoping maybe, that Romo might not be as close to Garrett as is believed. And maybe, hopefully, please let it be, Romo is pissed at Garretts ineptness and utter inability to win a single game, thus almost forcing Romo - healthwise or not - to come back and play two football games in a 5 day period after missing two months of action.

And if Romo voices his displeasure, combined with all else, maybe Garretts gets the boot.

Hey, a disgruntled fan can dream, can't I?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Romo doesn't badmouth people. He "loved" Wade too.

Maybe he is more critical privately? You get the feeling that if Jerry had to choose between Romo and Garrett, Garrett would be done.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Maybe I'm reaching here.... but does anyone remember how complimentary of Linehan Romo was as soon as Linehan was hired? I seem to remember Romo being somewhat over the top with how he described how him and Linehan just clicked, Linehan had good ideas, etc.

Anyone else kind of find it telling that Romo would immediately warm up to a new offensive coach when he's supposedly got this great bond with the in place alledged offensive minded head coach?

I'm just thinking, desperately hoping maybe, that Romo might not be as close to Garrett as is believed. And maybe, hopefully, please let it be, Romo is pissed at Garretts ineptness and utter inability to win a single game, thus almost forcing Romo - healthwise or not - to come back and play two football games in a 5 day period after missing two months of action.

And if Romo voices his displeasure, combined with all else, maybe Garretts gets the boot.

Hey, a disgruntled fan can dream, can't I?

Here is what I believe. This offense for this season is totally different from last season. Anyone can see that. In fact, it's the same offense prior to Linehan coming. We all are aware of Jerry stripping Garrett of the play calling duties and was forced to implement Linehan's tweaks to his scheme. After the success of last season, I believe Jerry might have made a deal to allow Garrett to resume full control of the offense as a condition of re-signing him, which was stupid --- re-signing him AND allowing him to revert back to his ineffectual offense.

But yes, I've always said that the only way Garrett is gone would be by Romo and/or Stephen.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Romo doesn't badmouth people. He "loved" Wade too.

Maybe he is more critical privately? You get the feeling that if Jerry had to choose between Romo and Garrett, Garrett would be done.

No doubt. Romo can win without Garrett; Garret cannot win without Romo. He really can't win with him as demonstrated by 3 consecutive 8-8 seasons. The more talent you give him, the more his ineptness is revealed.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I've always believed that if Romo really thought that much of Garrett, he'd never have let Jerry take Jason's OCing and playcalling away from him. No way Jerry didn't consult with his franchise QB before he did that.

But like we were talking about the other day, I don't think Tony wants someone new coming in and trying to tell him how to do things at this point, either.

Reaction score
Here is what I believe. This offense for this season is totally different from last season. Anyone can see that. In fact, it's the same offense prior to Linehan coming. We all are aware of Jerry stripping Garrett of the play calling duties and was forced to implement Linehan's tweaks to his scheme. After the success of last season, I believe Jerry might have made a deal to allow Garrett to resume full control of the offense as a condition of re-signing him, which was stupid --- re-signing him AND allowing him to revert back to his ineffectual offense.

Interesting theory and not one I'd ever considered myself. That said, if we had signed Garrett to not such a great deal for him, then I'd put more weight to that. As is, he got a ridiculously long (by todays standards) contract and has always been paid handsomely.

If Jerry paid him a low $ deal or fewer years, I could've seen Jason getting control of his offense written in the contract as a concession.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Interesting theory and not one I'd ever considered myself. That said, if we had signed Garrett to not such a great deal for him, then I'd put more weight to that. As is, he got a ridiculously long (by todays standards) contract and has always been paid handsomely.

If Jerry paid him a low $ deal or fewer years, I could've seen Jason getting control of his offense written in the contract as a concession.

Perhaps. But this offense is NOT the same that was ran last year and got us to 12-4. This is a Garrett-ran offense: the simplicity and predictability and all. With that said... look for Linehan to also be one of the fall guys.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Perhaps. But this offense is NOT the same that was ran last year and got us to 12-4. This is a Garrett-ran offense: the simplicity and predictability and all. With that said... look for Linehan to also be one of the fall guys.

I don't know why people say it is a Garrett-offense or a Linehan-offense.

It is Garrett's design. Period. Anyone who suggests otherwise is an outright fucking idiot.

Two, Linehan calls the plays.

Three, they are basically the same guy. Have beliefs in the same core systems and philosophy. Hell, Garrett was basically Linehan's understudy in Miami for a year.

I don't see how Linehan is a fall guy at all. They wanted this mutually. It is not like he can be propped up to be like Callahan was.

They all went into this season tinkering around with what they did last season. And even that was simple lightning in a bottle they couldn't duplicate again if they tried.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
But like we were talking about the other day, I don't think Tony wants someone new coming in and trying to tell him how to do things at this point, either.

And like I said the other day to the person that suggested that, you are basically saying Romo doesn't care about winning, only slinging it around and running up stats, ala someone like Dan Marino.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And like I said the other day to the person that suggested that, you are basically saying Romo doesn't care about winning, only slinging it around and running up stats, ala someone like Dan Marino.

It's not that at all. Tony definitely wants to win. I just think he believes he knows how to play better than anyone else at this point. Teaching an old dog new tricks, so to speak. And really, he might be right. He's the least of our worries right now.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
It's not that at all. Tony definitely wants to win. I just think he believes he knows how to play better than anyone else at this point. Teaching an old dog new tricks, so to speak. And really, he might be right. He's the least of our worries right now.
And he's got a real-life, today example of that. New coach wanted Payton Manning under center. Didn't work, had to change.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
And he's got a real-life, today example of that. New coach wanted Payton Manning under center. Didn't work, had to change.

I think that's a little different, though, because Peyton simple can't move anymore. His is about a physical decline, not being stubborn.

I still think Jerry should have hired Holmgren years ago. He wanted the job, and he had the cred to do it and the stones to not treat Tony with kid gloves. Plus his system would be perfect for Tony.

But I don't think he'd let Jerry push him around... Which is why it would never happen.

Still though, not like Tony is the problem here. Far from it. I do think the team overall would have made some runs instead of those three 8-8 seasons, though.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Still though, not like Tony is the problem here. Far from it. I do think the team overall would have made some runs instead of those three 8-8 seasons, though.
Yep the problem is the front office and its decisions on who to let coach the team.

Jerruh worries more about who gets credit for Super Bowls, than if we ever even sniff one.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't know why people say it is a Garrett-offense or a Linehan-offense.

It is Garrett's design. Period. Anyone who suggests otherwise is an outright fucking idiot.

Two, Linehan calls the plays.

Three, they are basically the same guy. Have beliefs in the same core systems and philosophy. Hell, Garrett was basically Linehan's understudy in Miami for a year.

I don't see how Linehan is a fall guy at all. They wanted this mutually. It is not like he can be propped up to be like Callahan was.

They all went into this season tinkering around with what they did last season. And even that was simple lightning in a bottle they couldn't duplicate again if they tried.

As long as Garrett's been here with his design... how many screens have you seen ran? Yes last year was Garrett's design but clearly Linehan tweaked it a bit.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yep the problem is the front office and its decisions on who to let coach the team.

Jerruh worries more about who gets credit for Super Bowls, than if we ever even sniff one.

Yeah. If it means him not getting the credit... he'd rather not win a Super Bowl. Like somebody said, it must have really stung Jerry (to where he still hasn't gotten over it) when Jimmy pointed out as to how Jerry only signed the checks.

Top Bottom