junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I like Church and always have. Nice find for an undrafted free agent. My only gripes are that one, there was no rush to do this. And two, it's not like he was great anyway. He was just okay. In theory anyway, a 5th or 6th round pick could easily beat him out. Hell, if Matt McWhiterson could ever make it to Wednesday without blowing a hammy, he might well be better than Church. And then we've paid a guy when we didn't need to at all.

So no, it's not like it's some cap-wrecking deal, it just seems unnecessary.

Plus I'll add that this was likely on the advice of Ryan, who is so overly optimistic about players I don't know how much you can trust him. He's the main reason Scandrick got his deal, because Rob was in love with him based on one training camp with him.

Exactly. I think you nailed it.

The deal isn't bad....just unnecessary. He was a RFA next year. So tender him, see what he does and offer the same deal if he gets through camp healthy. Then you don't have any guaranteed money or SB to deal with.

I'm pretty sure Spencer gets a new deal this offseason too.

Question is......what is this team going to draft? They seem content. Safeties? Locked up Church/Sensabaugh. Pass rushers? Locked up Spencer and Ware. OL? Well, Costa was hurt and will be back. Might look at a guard. NT? Got Brent and just locked up Ratliff, no problem there. DE? Lissemore/Hatcher, baby. I'd try to get better at any of those positions.

Probably draft an ILB and TE in 1 and 2.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We have to draft OL this year. And I really think we will, despite all the (justified) complaining about not drafting there.

Or at least get some better ones in FA. They have to see that this is unacceptable.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We have to draft OL this year. And I really think we will, despite all the (justified) complaining about not drafting there.

Or at least get some better ones in FA. They have to see that this is unacceptable.

Once they solve the money issue with lee and what to do with spencer I imagine they go after both lines hard. It seems we have all the peripheral spots filled and the linebacker spots. We have our kicker...

the whole offseason needs to be about getting better on both lines. Free agency and the draft. next year replacing spears and coleman with better players and replacing center-guard with better players would be huge.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, the other spot I could see us drafting in the first is a defensive lineman. Ryan wanted Wilkerson or Heyward (IIRC that was the other one) at the end of the first a couple years ago, and they have to see a guy like Watt and want someone more disruptive.

That's assuming we re-sign Spencer, which I don't know about. We probably do, but if he gets to FA who knows.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
Yeah, the other spot I could see us drafting in the first is a defensive lineman. Ryan wanted Wilkerson or Heyward (IIRC that was the other one) at the end of the first a couple years ago, and they have to see a guy like Watt and want someone more disruptive.

That's assuming we re-sign Spencer, which I don't know about. We probably do, but if he gets to FA who knows.

I think it is a good draft for NT types. 3-4 DE types......I'm not sure. Kawann Short could probably play both, I think he is an end of the first round type.

If the team is high in 1, I think they have to look at Hankins or Lotuletui though.

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
Once they solve the money issue with lee and what to do with spencer I imagine they go after both lines hard. It seems we have all the peripheral spots filled and the linebacker spots. We have our kicker...

the whole offseason needs to be about getting better on both lines. Free agency and the draft. next year replacing spears and coleman with better players and replacing center-guard with better players would be huge.

so you're giving up on bernadeux, livings, and costa. i thought we needed to be patient with those guys

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think it is a good draft for NT types. 3-4 DE types......I'm not sure. Kawann Short could probably play both, I think he is an end of the first round type.

If the team is high in 1, I think they have to look at Hankins or Lotuletui though.

They're saying Alabama's Jesse Williams can play both. He's not having a great year though, only 11 tackles (1 solo). So he may be a Dontari Poe type.

Last edited:

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score

I doubt Dallas commits very much to the line.

Over the past 5 years they've spent very little on the lines and that includes counting Spencer as part of the DL which he's not.

I'd have to check but maybe like 4-5 teams have spent less on the trenches in terms of draft picks. Surprisingly New York was one of them but they've been very good at developing both sides of the line. Their DL is phenomenal and their OL is good enough......actually damn good considering the resources they invested.

Top Bottom