Reaction score
Despite Injury, Church Gets 4-Year Contract Extension Thru 2016
Posted 1 hour ago

Nick Eatman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – With a season-ending Achilles injury that occurred more than a month ago, it might be easy to somewhat forget about safety Barry Church these days.

The Cowboys made it clear Friday they haven’t. In fact, they made sure he stays on the forefront for a few years to come as they’ve decided to give him a four-year contract extension that will keep him in the fold through the 2016 season.

Church, who is on injured reserve after suffering the injury in the Tampa Bay game on Sept. 23, is in the final season of his original three-year contract he signed as an undrafted rookie in 2010. Church would’ve been a restricted free agent after the season and with his injury, it would’ve been an interesting dilemma for the Cowboys.

On restricted free agents, clubs have four different options of tenders to place on the player, including the original draft tender, which in Church’s case, would not give the Cowboys draft-pick compensation if he signed with another team. Other restricted options give the teams a second-round pick compensation, a first-rounder, and then a first and third-round pick.

Throw in Church recovering from a tough injury such as a ruptured Achilles, which is arguably considered one of the hardest to recover from, and it would’ve made for an interesting decision for the Cowboys.

But they avoided all of that by this extension.

If Church can return to form, he’ll likely return to his starting role alongside Gerald Sensabaugh as the starting safeties.

The Cowboys have been hampered by injuries at safety this year, with rookie Matt Johnson suffering three different hamstring injuries since training camp. Danny McCray has been elevated to a starter and the Cowboys have signed veterans Eric Frampton and recently Charlie Peprah.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
wtf? lol don't need to prove much to earn a contract extension here.

Well at least it's better than giving him one while he sucks on the field ala Sensabaugh.

Reaction score
Listen, I think Church is a feel good player I like how he developed from an UDFA to a quality starter.

But he's physically limited.

And achilles injuries can be crippling to players who lack speed in the first place.

Worse off... the team will likely consider the safety position a non issue now, so if/WHEN Church does come back next year not as quick, not as fast.... we won't have an answer.

Reaction score
‏@toddarcher
Barry Church deal is worth almost $9 mil with $2.5m to sign and $3.8m guaranteed. Good for both sides

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's like a lifelong ST player deal. Church gets a little something, if he is our starting SS for the next 4 years (he will be) we have a great deal on the books.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
To me, it means then organization thinks we are set with Barry Church at safety for the next few years.

One, I would have liked to see how he recovered from a serious injury first. Two, he's mediocre.

I know this deal doesn't cripple us or anything but just another example that the guy making the decisions sees things very differently.

Unnecessary move IMO. More disappointed that we most likley won't be looking for an upgrade at Safety.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
same argument some tried to make for Sensabaugh's deal.

I'll say it again, we aren't paying multi-million dollars to projected back-up's (not counting Kyle Orton). I think they see him as the starter if they are giving him this extension now.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Everyone should see him as the starter but this isn't like a Roy Williams UT deal. This is more like a what we would pay Keith Davis for being awesome on special teams deal.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I hope his achilles is OK. Otherwise, another stupid move by Jerry.

I'm not optimistic because he's a dumb ass.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Get injured; get rewarded. Only in Jerry World.

Unfucking real. He's not even back on the field after major surgery, especially for his position, and he gets a fucking extension.

GloryDaysRBack

Quality Starter
Reaction score
He's making pennies. I'm fine w this. I dot care about adding safeties at this point.

I'd much rather pay this mediocre guy pennies than waste a premium pick on a safety come April!!!!

BUILD THE MFIN TRENCHES!!!!!!!!

bkeavs

UDFA
Reaction score
I mean he's legit obviously but you're right I don't get the timing.

based on the 2 games he has been a starter in the nfl. coming off an achilles injury. one of the single hardest injuries to come back from considering the position.

doesnt make sense to me if it happened now or the end of the season

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
coming off an achilles injury. one of the single hardest injuries to come back from considering the position.

OMG SOMEONE NEEDS TO SWAT JERRY RIGHT SIDE OF HIS HEAD

Top Bottom