Reaction score
Romo just can't get comfortable. Doesn't trust anyone to be where they're supposed to, every other game 1 of our linemen has a nightmare matchup we can't adjust for. He's fighting an uphill battle

Last edited:

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
You're high if you think any one year offer wouldn't get laughed out of the room.

The only way that plan works is if you franchise him. But I don't think we have that sort of cap flexibility anyhow. And having one player take nearly 1/5 of your cap or w/e is idiotic anyhow.

I'd rather be cap fvcked for one year instead of 5. Ideally you would use the franchise tag to bully a 2-3 year deal out of romo.

jeebus

UDFA
Reaction score
Room just can't get comfortable. Doesn't twist anyone to be where they're supposed to, every other game 1 of our linemen has a nightmare matchup we can't adjust for. He's fighting an uphill battle

Jeff Garcia played beyond his talent and put up four consecutive probowls before succumbing to the law of averages and sinking back to passable starter level.

When romo declines he is going to fall fast, he doesn't have the innate talent or mental aptitude to age gracefully.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
From here on out I'd sign him to one-year contracts, like the Yanks do with Mariano Rivera. If he balks, let him go. True, signing him to a five-year deal wouldn't necessarily prevent them from drafting young QBs, but Jerry seems to prefer seasoned vets as backups.

bbgun ftw

IF he balks?

The dude is one of the best QBs in the league. You offer that insult and get ready to enjoy Kyle Orton and whoever we pick up to come in for Kyle Orton when we're losing 48-7 to New York next season.

sp wrong as usual

And he'll continue to be paid as one of the league's best on a year by year basis. This 1) keeps him motivated, and 2) protects the Cowboys from making an expensive, long-term mistake if his play declines or he gets injured. Win-win. Nor do I think that Mariano Rivera is "insulted" by being paid $15M per year.

omg I was so wise. if only Jerry had listened to me.

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't believe I may root for Brandon Weeden and Michael Sam to lead us to victory this season. That will test my fandom like no other season. What has that twisted pervert done to my football team?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
protects the Cowboys from making an expensive, long-term mistake if his play declines or he gets injured.
As true two years ago as it is today.

If people would lose the "but they deserrrrrrrve a new contract" mentality, they wouldn't go apeshit when people talk about short term deals, trades, and the like.

They DON'T "deserve" shit. They were well compensated already, for what they have done thus far.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
One-year deals are common for aged baseball players... Wouldn't happen in the NFL.

When do you guys ever want to extend a good player? Never? That would ensure bad deals never happen but you'd never have a great team, either.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
When do you guys ever want to extend a good player? Never? That would ensure bad deals never happen but you'd never have a great team, either.
Extend them short term, three years max I'm all for. 7-8 years, 100 million freaking dollars? Not so much. Especially when they're already in their 30s.

I can turn the straw around and ask, "When are you ever against extensions" but I don't play that way.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
One-year deals are common for aged baseball players... Wouldn't happen in the NFL.

Exactly.

But "Let's just low ball our good players or let them all walk when it's time for their second contract. That's sure to build a winner."

Get the fuck outta here.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score

Older players or players working their way back from injury are offered one-year deals all the time. Again, Tony didn't have to accept it.

Depends. How old are they? What position do they play? BTW, a one year deal is an extension.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But "Let's just low ball our good players or let them all walk when it's time for their second contract. That's sure to build a winner."
Nobody's said anything like that at all.

But, since "build a winner" is your meter, you must be very pleased at the Cowboys the last 6 years or so.

Definition of insanity come to mind? Overpay overhyped malingerers, and live with 8-8, 8-8, 8-8.

Top Bottom