Reaction score
Gosselin: If I was the Cowboys, I wouldn't re-sign Tony Romo
SportsDayDFW.com
Published: 05 November 2012 10:52 PM

Rick Gosselin, sports columnist for The Dallas Morning News and SportsDayDFW.com and member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee, answered your questions about the Cowboys, Rangers, Mavericks and Stars in a live chat on Monday. Here are the highlights.

Would you re-sign Tony Romo?
Gosselin: Not at the money and term the Cowboys are going to invest in him. But this is a franchise that didn't have a Plan B. This team hasn't drafted or developed any young quarterbacks. There's no one in the queue as the heir apparent. I wouldn't re-sign him to a five-year deal -- but then I'd have drafted a quarterback in the third or fourth round sometime in the last two years to begin my preparations for life after Romo. I thought Kirk Cousins was a steal by the Redskins in the fourth round.

Why is it that the Cowboys appear to move the ball well in the hurry-up/2-min offense but don't do it throughout the game?
Gosselin: Romo appears to play his best football when there's a sense of urgency. He doesn't have to worry about handing the ball off and he can just wing it. The problem is a fast-pace offense generally results in a lower time of possession. The Cowboys defense had to play 32 minutes last night and that was too much to ask against a quality opponent and a quality offense like the Falcons. Handoffs wind the clock and reduce the exposure to the defense. An offense may be more efficient in a hurry-up mode but the defense would likely be less so.

Why does this team struggle in drafting/evaluating offensive line (exception of Smith)?
Gosselin: Again, there's always been a fear of youth. The Cowboys have drafted linemen in the later rounds but never made a commitment to them or developed them. There are rookie blockers starting all over the league. When the Colts were a Super Bowl contender in the early and mid-2000s, they always had a rookie fourth-, fifth- or sixth-rounder starting up front for them. But unless you're a first round draft pick, you won't get that chance in Dallas. Why the Cowboys drafted David Arkin in the fourth round mystifies me. There was never a plan for him. He'll probably be gone after this season and the Cowboys will never know what kind of player he is.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Again, there's always been a fear of youth.

I think most fans would consider Smith, Free and Costa to be "youthful." Whether they're the answer at their respective positions is another matter.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I think most fans would consider Smith, Free and Costa to be "youthful." Whether they're the answer at their respective positions is another matter.

Yes and no. Dallas has shown that they are willing to play first and second rounders early. Free more or less sat for three years before getting his shot and that was largely due to injury.

Miles never got a shot until Roy Williams got hurt and had a banner day.

I do think there are times the team goes with the vet until there are no other feasible options.

I think the bigger issue is that they can't evaluate OL and haven't had an consistent OL identity in several years.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Yes and no. Dallas has shown that they are willing to play first and second rounders early. Free more or less sat for three years before getting his shot and that was largely due to injury.

Miles never got a shot until Roy Williams got hurt and had a banner day.

I do think there are times the team goes with the vet until there are no other feasible options.

I think the bigger issue is that they can't evaluate OL and haven't had an consistent OL identity in several years.

See Leonard Davis, Marion Barber, Felix Jones, Terence Newman, Roy E Williams.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Romo would shatter every record Brees has set the last few years if Payton coached the Cowboys.

Reaction score
Romo would shatter every record Brees has set the last few years if Payton coached the Cowboys.

Doubt it.

New Orleans had a superior Oline, played easier divisional foes, and smarter receivers.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
This is just Goose's mantra for years, he thinks he's some fucking genius because he believes we should be picking at least 1 QB every year. And since we don't, he criticizes us for it.

Reaction score
This is just Goose's mantra for years, he thinks he's some fucking genius because he believes we should be picking at least 1 QB every year. And since we don't, he criticizes us for it.

I think we ought to be picking a QB at least once every three years. The problem is, when we have a franchise guy, we tend to take him for granted and think the QB position is set forever. We don't do well when it comes to developing the position.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, how many QBs have we drafted since Romo won the job in 2006? One (McGee)?

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The issue is that when these experts start citing that this is the way it's done they hold these rare examples of success up as though it were the standard. I mean for every Aaron Rodgers and Matt Schaub you have a million Ryan Mallett, Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel, etc's. People who just sit on the bench for years, flash a little flair, then leave for contracts elsewhere - or fizzle out completely and you have wasted a draft pick in an even worse manner than you did in our ST draft.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Gosselin just trolling Cowboys fans again. It's what he does.

Expect that he has the benefit of being right. It goes without saying that Romo's successor is not presently on the roster, an indication of front office neglect on a par with the offensive line. They obviously think that Romo + a veteran backup will be good enough for the next several years, but this assumes that Romo isn't part of the larger problem in Big D.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It goes without saying that Romo's successor is not presently on the roster

Neither is Brady's, Manning's, Brees or any other top QB in the league. The closest we thought anyone has to a "waiting in the wings" QB is Philly, and we ass-raped that guy yesterday. Colin Kapaernick and Chase Daniels aren't just sitting there waiting to be unleashed on the league.

Noone does this successfully (incessantly draft QBs) but it worked this one time for Ron Wolfe so Goose declares everyone should do it all the time. Then uses Romo's contract to troll the Cowboys for not doing it. Dude is a broken record of retardation.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
The issue is that when these experts start citing that this is the way it's done they hold these rare examples of success up as though it were the standard. I mean for every Aaron Rodgers and Matt Schaub you have a million Ryan Mallett, Matt Flynn, Matt Cassel, etc's. People who just sit on the bench for years, flash a little flair, then leave for contracts elsewhere - or fizzle out completely and you have wasted a draft pick in an even worse manner than you did in our ST draft.

Cassel was taken in the 7th round and was traded to the Chiefs along with Vrable for the 34th overall pick. The season after he led the Patriots to the playoffs.

Matt Flynn was also taken in the 7th. Even though he lost the starters job in Seattle after signing there as a FA, he should bring the Packers a comp pick for the size of contract he signed.

Ryan Mallett was taken in the 3rd, with the pick the Patriots received for Randy Moss. He's only in his second year, and is the primary backup to Brady. Before it's all said and done, I'd bet on the Patriots receiving comparable compensation for him, either in trade or comp picks.

I wouldn't quite call them picks like our special teams draft.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Right genius the point is there are an infinite number of times it didn't work out. It's like hitting a six team parlay once and then declaring this is the smart way to do business. Not that we shouldn't look into QBs when a talented one is available at our spot but pretending this is the way things is done because it works out for the original team 3% of the time is stupid.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
Right genius the point is there are an infinite number of times it didn't work out. It's like hitting a six team parlay once and then declaring this is the smart way to do business. Not that we shouldn't look into QBs when a talented one is available at our spot but pretending this is the way things is done because it works out for the original team 3% of the time is stupid.

Not saying it doesn't work out. Just pointing out your 'examples' were retarded. Kind of like this...

Noone does this successfully (incessantly draft QBs) but it worked this one time for Ron Wolfe so Goose declares everyone should do it all the time.

•Ty Detmer, ninth round, 1992: He served as a backup for four years with the Packers and later signed as a free agent with the Eagles in 1996. The Packers received a compensatory pick in 1997
•Mark Brunell, fifth round, 1993: Played very little in two seasons with the Packers but was traded for third- and fifth-round picks to the expansion Jaguars in 1995. Those picks turned into FB William Henderson, a future Pro Bowler, and RB Travis Jervey.
•Matt Hasselbeck, sixth round, 1998: Threw only 29 passes with the Packers in two seasons before being traded to Seattle prior to the 2001 season. The Packers sent Hasselbeck and their first-round pick (No. 17 overall) for the Seahawks' Nos. 10 and 72 picks that year.
•Aaron Brooks, fourth round, 1999: After spending his first season as the third-stringer behind Favre and Hasselbeck, Brooks was sent to New Orleans in 2000 along with TE Lamont Hall for the Saints' third-round pick in '01 and LB K.D. Williams. The third-round pick later was traded to the 49ers in a separate deal.

Top Bottom