bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Right genius the point is there are an infinite number of times it didn't work out. It's like hitting a six team parlay once and then declaring this is the smart way to do business. Not that we shouldn't look into QBs when a talented one is available at our spot but pretending this is the way things is done because it works out for the original team 3% of the time is stupid.

No, it's the responsible thing to do. It's no more "stupid" than buying life insurance even though your odds of early death are low.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I agree that Gosselin is an idiot. But then again, so are you.

It's cute when you try to sound like you have half a clue when you try talking about football.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No, it's the responsible thing to do. It's no more "stupid" than buying life insurance even though your odds of early death are low.

Well we bought life insurance with McGee. That didn't work out but we only just gave up on it. I suspect we'll try another form of insurance soon. Goose's criticism remains unfounded.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Expect that he has the benefit of being right.

In this case, or in general? Are you saying you wouldn't re-sign Romo?

Because this is the same moron who said Roy Williams should be moved to linebacker in the 34.

Gosselin is useless outside of his draft reports. And he doesn't even have those anymore.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Well we bought life insurance with McGee. That didn't work out but we only just gave up on it. I suspect we'll try another form of insurance soon. Goose's criticism remains unfounded.

No, Jerry's idea of life insurance is Kitna and Orton. Now 70, he has a "win now" mentality, meaning no room for the Kirk Cousins of the world.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
In this case, or in general? Are you saying you wouldn't re-sign Romo?

Because this is the same moron who said Roy Williams should be moved to linebacker in the 34.

Gosselin is useless outside of his draft reports. And he doesn't even have those anymore.

From here on out I'd sign him to one-year contracts, like the Yanks do with Mariano Rivera. If he balks, let him go. True, signing him to a five-year deal wouldn't necessarily prevent them from drafting young QBs, but Jerry seems to prefer seasoned vets as backups.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
IF he balks?

The dude is one of the best QBs in the league. You offer that insult and get ready to enjoy Kyle Orton and whoever we pick up to come in for Kyle Orton when we're losing 48-7 to New York next season.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
IF he balks?

The dude is one of the best QBs in the league. You offer that insult and get ready to enjoy Kyle Orton and whoever we pick up to come in for Kyle Orton when we're losing 48-7 to New York next season.

And he'll continue to be paid as one of the league's best on a year by year basis. This 1) keeps him motivated, and 2) protects the Cowboys from making an expensive, long-term mistake if his play declines or he gets injured. Win-win. Nor do I think that Mariano Rivera is "insulted" by being paid $15M per year.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You're high if you think any one year offer wouldn't get laughed out of the room.

The only way that plan works is if you franchise him. But I don't think we have that sort of cap flexibility anyhow. And having one player take nearly 1/5 of your cap or w/e is idiotic anyhow.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm a Romo fan so I'm biased but do we realy want Romo worrying about a new contract next year?

On the field he already has to :
second guess a bad playcaller, tell receivers where to line-up and which routes to run, and run for his life with the crap O Line he has in front of him.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I wouldn't franchise him. He's already at an age when most QBs have stopped winning Super Bowls. Of course, I wouldn't pay Spencer $8M to basically stop the run either.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm a Romo fan so I'm biased but do we realy want Romo worrying about a new contract next year?

On the field he already has to :
second guess a bad playcaller, tell receivers where to line-up and which routes to run, and run for his life with the crap O Line he has in front of him.

As Jimmy says, fear is a great motivator. I seriously doubt that Tony thinks about dollars and cents in the heat of battle, anyway.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think we ought to be picking a QB at least once every three years. The problem is, when we have a franchise guy, we tend to take him for granted and think the QB position is set forever. We don't do well when it comes to developing the position.

We'll start looking after Romo can't possibly play another down just like we did with Aikman. Then we'll draft some idiot who can barely speak and can't learn the playbook.

Our GM is fucking awesome!

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
We'll start looking after Romo can't possibly play another down just like we did with Aikman. Then we'll draft some idiot who can barely speak and can't learn the playbook.

Our GM is fucking awesome!

We can draft Johhny Football in 2014 (most likely 2015).

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Nope. :tear

but he does share a birthday with the grandmother from Bewitched. Does that count?

I'm not sure. With a name like Johnny Football Jerry is most likely to trade up and grab him 3-4 rounds early. I think we're OK.

Top Bottom