bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
but this is how Jerry thinks:

"We don't need Miller. Had McFadden started from game 1 last year--like he will next year--he would have had 1,400 yards."

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Miller is one of the few that actually would make sense; low mileage and young. Most of the rest of the RBs out there are high mileage and old.

Actually this is a year where we could make real progress in the draft and FA only pick up depth and improve a couple of areas.

If we can get a DT, CB and another tackle in the draft and Miller in FA- and maybe keep Hardy- then we would be in really good shape.

Put Jones at FS; and with Scandrick back if we can get another starting CB somehow our secondary is in good shape overall. For the time being we are solid at LB; and if we can get a real DT next to Crawford then our D could be top 10 easily.

The only real hole on offense (outside of backup QB and maybe Moore can handle that) is RT. Free is not going to get better and I have real doubts we will ever see much from Green; or that he will not be able to stay healthy.

Now our #1 HAS to be a real impact guy and if we cannot get Goff then I would trade down; Ramsey and Bosa are just not worth that high a pick. Jack brutally speaking is a luxury we really do not need. If we can trade back and get a top DT that would be fine with me; and then in the second get a really good CB. Use the extra picks we got from trading back to pick up another tackle.

And somewhere I would like to get a real possession receiver like welker.

Reaction score
McFadden losing a step literally means he probably now runs a 4.40 after running 4.33 seconds which is still impressive if he has slowed at all. Hopefully they go back to the tape and not repeat over and over the runs that didn't work while keeping and expanding on the few plays that were tailor made for DMCs style and physique. I agree that McFadden could easily be 1400 yd player, however the team needs more of a 5ypc, 14TD, high percentage 3rd down conversion and 50+ reception player. If that garners only 900 yards rushing total, who cares, it's the series conversion, red zone, and check downs that are most important with Bozos system still constricting the possibilities that offense should have.

That said, DMC as incumbent and draft pick(s) are not a bad starting point. I think Rod Smith is the only other RB on the roster as Christine Michael was released, Turbin and Dunbar are UFAs. Smith can't be the answer to any RB question in the league. Think Turbin comes back? I hope so.. Seems to be physical. Lamar Miller would work although he's not going to run anyone over.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Made me spit my coffee.

I agree, I have no faith in Moore. If they are going to completely disregard the future of the QB position and just go with a backup I would prefer that they sign a former starter or a top quality backup. Fitzpatrick comes to mind although he may have a few teams to choose from as a starter. Colt McCoy is another option. Hell Gabbert even showed he's not a bust and can play in this league.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Miller is one of the few that actually would make sense; low mileage and young. Most of the rest of the RBs out there are high mileage and old.

Actually this is a year where we could make real progress in the draft and FA only pick up depth and improve a couple of areas.

If we can get a DT, CB and another tackle in the draft and Miller in FA- and maybe keep Hardy- then we would be in really good shape.

Put Jones at FS; and with Scandrick back if we can get another starting CB somehow our secondary is in good shape overall. For the time being we are solid at LB; and if we can get a real DT next to Crawford then our D could be top 10 easily.

The only real hole on offense (outside of backup QB and maybe Moore can handle that) is RT. Free is not going to get better and I have real doubts we will ever see much from Green; or that he will not be able to stay healthy.

Now our #1 HAS to be a real impact guy and if we cannot get Goff then I would trade down; Ramsey and Bosa are just not worth that high a pick. Jack brutally speaking is a luxury we really do not need. If we can trade back and get a top DT that would be fine with me; and then in the second get a really good CB. Use the extra picks we got from trading back to pick up another tackle.

And somewhere I would like to get a real possession receiver like welker.

I agree about Miller. I've been saying since the end of the Cowboys season that Lamar Miller would be perfect signing. He's young, fast, and his style of running is not that much different than Murray. He's a big downhill runner (with speed). I think this team got real lucky that McFadden was able to stay healthy. He's better suited as a backup.

I also agree that if Goff/Wentz are both off the board at 4 then the Cowboys should trade back. If they can trade back and remain in the top 10 they could still be in position to draft Ramsey or Hargraves. Then in round 2 I would personally take a QB but if we are staying with the defensive route they could draft a guy like DT Austin Johnson.

I have to disagree about LB though. Hitchens is solid, and Lee is obviously a stud. After that though there is nothing but question marks. And you have to factor in Lee's health. Will he even be on the field for 16 games? Gachkar is decent but he's just a backup. We have no idea what we have in Damien Wilson. Wilbur is a free agent and McClain is a wild card. Some weeks he's motivated and looks like a pro bowler. Other weeks I fully expect him to retire in the middle of a week. A LB in the 3rd (or if the get a 2nd by trading back).

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Made me spit my coffee.

I think with another camp and more work he can be acceptable at backup. Not like all these vets we tried were any good; might as well try young
bottom line is that without Romo we are toast; our basic need in a backup is a guy that can win a couple of games for us- or more to the point not lose games for us. I think Moore shows sufficient potential to give a shot to. Bluntly speaking who out there can we get that we KNOW would be better?

Reaction score

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score

He's always been one of my favorite players but his price tag would have to be really cheap. He's on the wrong side of 30 now and has had some injuries over the last couple of years. He also has a TON of miles in his body so he could be very close to hitting that wall that all RB's hit.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think with another camp and more work he can be acceptable at backup. Not like all these vets we tried were any good; might as well try young
bottom line is that without Romo we are toast; our basic need in a backup is a guy that can win a couple of games for us- or more to the point not lose games for us. I think Moore shows sufficient potential to give a shot to. Bluntly speaking who out there can we get that we KNOW would be better?

Fitzpatrick and Colt McCoy come to mind.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
We just went through two QBs who couldn't win here, but then won elsewhere in the same season. The problem is this offense is SO tailored to Romo that when you bring in another guy they feel they have to water it way, way down. And dismal performance is the result.

Moore's not any answer. Most anyone would be better.

Reaction score
Forte doesn't look quite as burned out as Steven Jackson or Eddie George for instance. I think he has a good year or two left. He was also in a shitty system with no offensive line for basically his entire pro career. I like that he can pass block and catch well too. Plus, he'd have McFadden and Choice for change of pace.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Forte doesn't look quite as burned out as Steven Jackson or Eddie George for instance. I think he has a good year or two left. He was also in a shitty system with no offensive line for basically his entire pro career. I like that he can pass block and catch well too. Plus, he'd have McFadden and Choice for change of pace.

I think you mean Tommy Agee

Top Bottom