Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Trading for the CB in the draft kind of screwed them. They lost out on Decastro and Konz. And based on their history, they aren't consistent in drafting middle round OL. And they are rationalizing that Costa, Arkin, Kowalski, etc.. are already young projects so why bother taking another late in this draft. It's either take one of the best as in Smith, or just skip it all together. They also needed DL help and basically had to take one in the third. The trade just put them in a bad position with drafting OL.

C is going to be tough this year unless Costa added some serious muscle in the offseason. The two guards they signed are large, but average at best. The T position will be very solid, but the interior is just going to plague them. Given the odds, one of the young draftees will work out at least to be decent, but overall that is still not a great line.

I think livings will give us better left guard play than we got all last year and I think considering kosier was hurt all year that we will at least get similar play there.

I think it's all about center, I think the guards are going to be an issue at all. Center will be but I don't know anyone who even knows who is going to play center yet.

So if the guard play is improved maybe tha will help a bit with the center whoever it winds up being.

Bill Callahan has a great track record, so they must have a plan at center e came up with. Only time will tell if it is a good one.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Jerry you could of had DeCastro and Konz at 14 and 45

you could have solidified that O line for years

an add a pick Reyes or a CB at 45

but no have to go after a big name when there was no need in it - there were plenty of good CB's in the later rounds

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Jerry you could of had DeCastro and Konz at 14 and 45

you could have solidified that O line for years

an add a pick Reyes or a CB at 45

but no have to go after a big name when there was no need in it - there were plenty of good CB's in the later rounds

How can you say we would solidified the o-line for years with a guy (Konz) who has never completed a full college season because of injury?

Reaction score
Makes no sense. We addressed CB with a premium singing in FA. Could've taken DeCastro, even by trading down, and then nabbed Jerel Worthy in the 2nd. Shore up the interior OL and middle of DL for years. Instead we add another CB. I really like Claiborne, but with adding Carr in FA, I take the two horses on both sides of the trenches over another CB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Makes no sense. We addressed CB with a premium singing in FA. Could've taken DeCastro, even by trading down, and then nabbed Jerel Worthy in the 2nd. Shore up the interior OL and middle of DL for years. Instead we add another CB. I really like Claiborne, but with adding Carr in FA, I take the two horses on both sides of the trenches over another CB.

makes sense to me...they got the 2nd best player on their board and the best defensive player in the draft, and didnt have to pay a premium to get him...the trade up was a bargain, and he's a bargain cap-wise too because his deal will be alot less expensive than signing another free agent next yr, or potentially trying to re-sign Jenkins if he had a good year

the defense blew 5 leads last yr, 4 fairly late in the game...it had to be fixed

Reaction score
makes sense to me...they got the 2nd best player on their board and the best defensive player in the draft, and didnt have to pay a premium to get him...the trade up was a bargain, and he's a bargain cap-wise too because his deal will be alot less expensive than signing another free agent next yr, or potentially trying to re-sign Jenkins if he had a good year

the defense blew 5 leads last yr, 4 fairly late in the game...it had to be fixed

We addressed CB in FA and could've added another in the 3-4 round range. Didn't need to go to top of the draft for another CB while neglecting the OL and interior DL again.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
We addressed CB in FA and could've added another in the 3-4 round range. Didn't need to go to top of the draft for another CB while neglecting the OL and interior DL again.

in other terms your saying the team should draft for need and not to the scouts evaluations?

and you keep saying we shored up cb in the draft, we only signed carr. You need 4. Jenkins is going to miss all the lifting and ota work because of his surgery and Drew Rosenhaus walked up to stephen jones and already asked for the same contract as carr.

so doing the math where do you think that is headed.

Personally, if decastro is as good as everyone says, I would have used next years 1 to go back into round 1 and whatever else they wanted from next year..and drafted decastro.....but that really is crazy talk....still would have done it though.

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think livings will give us better left guard play than we got all last year and I think considering kosier was hurt all year that we will at least get similar play there.

I think it's all about center, I think the guards are going to be an issue at all. Center will be but I don't know anyone who even knows who is going to play center yet.

So if the guard play is improved maybe tha will help a bit with the center whoever it winds up being.

Bill Callahan has a great track record, so they must have a plan at center e came up with. Only time will tell if it is a good one.

Callahan might have been the best get for the OL. I hear he is an excellent OL coach. And Livings will be better with more power, but according to some scouts he plays down to his competition and needs more consistency.

Reaction score
in other terms your saying the team should draft for need and not to the scouts evaluations?

Not at all. But what we did do was trade up for need. They deem CB a major need and used 2 picks to move up for one. You support that?

Also, drafting for need and value can be done simultaneously. We could easily have moved just 2 spots to 12 and got Cox who was value there and then Konz in the 2nd who was value at 45. Or even traded down and taken DeCastro who would've been solid in the mid to late teens of round 1 coupled with someone like DT Worthy in the 2nd. Both value and need at the same time.

and you keep saying we shored up cb in the draft, we only signed carr. You need 4. Jenkins is going to miss all the lifting and ota work because of his surgery and Drew Rosenhaus walked up to stephen jones and already asked for the same contract as carr.

so doing the math where do you think that is headed.

Plenty of quality CB's still around in rounds 3-4. If Carr is worth what we gave him then he's the #1 CB. #2 could've came from the 3rd/4th round.

Personally, if decastro is as good as everyone says, I would have used next years 1 to go back into round 1 and whatever else they wanted from next year..and drafted decastro.....but that really is crazy talk....still would have done it though.

That is crazy talk and nothing I advocated. But I would've taken him in the mid to low teens.

Reaction score
I kind of think (okay, hope) the Oline improves not so much because of the new players we've signed, but moreso because we finally got rid of that relic Houck.

Reaction score
Okay, lets ignore the Oline for a minute.

We did draft Smith & Arkin. Not counting Arkin because throwing a 7th rounder at a position isn't addressing it properly, IMO. (BUT TEH RATLIFFS!!!!!!!111)

We did sign two guards. One, a young guy who might have potential. The other, a solid starter and upgrade over Holland & the other vet we had last year who's name escapes me.

I'm not happy about not addressing center. Costa is terrible, and while us fans say Kowalski showed better - for whatever reason, the coaches seem to disagree (hence Costa starting all year).

But I digress....

My biggest gripe regarding the trenches is the lack of new blood to the Dline.

I love the Crawford pick. I think he's going to be a very good player for us. But we ignored the middle.

Baker was studying film on the Ravens? Well, their defense is built around a 330lb NT.

Say what you want about Jay Ratliff, but he's undersized. He's getting worn down. And his best assett - his quickness - will diminish first (if it hasn't started to already). 290lb 30 year olds don't get faster. Not only will his quickness diminish, but I expect it will rapidly.

Meanwhile, what do we have behind him? Josh Brent? Like the player, but he's just solid.

Then there's talk of moving Lissimore or Spears inside. Again, not prototypical NT's.

I don't get how/why we don't see that position as a need on this team.

tl;dr'ing this as I scroll through.

Appreciate the effort though, Yazuka.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Not at all. But what we did do was trade up for need. They deem CB a major need and used 2 picks to move up for one. You support that?

Also, drafting for need and value can be done simultaneously. We could easily have moved just 2 spots to 12 and got Cox who was value there and then Konz in the 2nd who was value at 45. Or even traded down and taken DeCastro who would've been solid in the mid to late teens of round 1 coupled with someone like DT Worthy in the 2nd. Both value and need at the same time.

Plenty of quality CB's still around in rounds 3-4. If Carr is worth what we gave him then he's the #1 CB. #2 could've came from the 3rd/4th round.

That is crazy talk and nothing I advocated. But I would've taken him in the mid to low teens.
traded up because the best non-QB in the draft was falling, and this happened to coincide with a need.

Tomato, potato.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
traded up because the best non-QB in the draft was falling, and this happened to coincide with a need.

Tomato, potato.

Plus a couple of them had character issues. Clearly that matters or it at least fits there talking points in the moment until Jerry decides the team needs to sign jemarcus Russell or something.

Top Bottom