Iamtdg

Reaction score
We have not had a good line over the last 8 years.

I'm sorry, but we haven't.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I think we've had periods where we devoted pretty well to Oline, such as the Parcells' years '03-'06, bombing badly, then we kind of stopped, with the exception of taking Free in the 4th round, until last year.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It doesn't make sense.

Cincy cuts their JAG and drafts Zeitler, we sign JAG... We win!

Pretty sure Garrett and Callahan would jump all over trading Livings (or any of the other guards) straight up for Zeitler.

They had two later first round picks, we didnt.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
lol I can just imagine you guys being in charge of Dallas' draft. Probably freak out over the pre-draft rumors and trade up from 14 to draft DeCastro. lol

"we've only drafted 8 OL in 8 yearszz!!!1"

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
We weren't in any position to draft the only guards really worth taking (DeCastro, Zeitler, Silatolu) anyways. Unless you wanted us to gamble on the underacheiver Brandon Brooks edit: nvm, we wouldn't have been able to draft Brooks without trading up for him. Or have taken late round guys like Brandon Washington or Senio Kelemete, which would appear from some posts in this thread as anathema to you guys.

Last edited:

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
We could have not traded up for Mo Claiborne and reached for a medical issue at 45 (Konz). That would have been nice.

Reaction score
I did want to see more of the guys in the middle drafted. I think O-line and D-line are still major concerns.

Reaction score
Okay, lets ignore the Oline for a minute.

We did draft Smith & Arkin. Not counting Arkin because throwing a 7th rounder at a position isn't addressing it properly, IMO. (BUT TEH RATLIFFS!!!!!!!111)

We did sign two guards. One, a young guy who might have potential. The other, a solid starter and upgrade over Holland & the other vet we had last year who's name escapes me.

I'm not happy about not addressing center. Costa is terrible, and while us fans say Kowalski showed better - for whatever reason, the coaches seem to disagree (hence Costa starting all year).

But I digress....

My biggest gripe regarding the trenches is the lack of new blood to the Dline.

I love the Crawford pick. I think he's going to be a very good player for us. But we ignored the middle.

Baker was studying film on the Ravens? Well, their defense is built around a 330lb NT.

Say what you want about Jay Ratliff, but he's undersized. He's getting worn down. And his best assett - his quickness - will diminish first (if it hasn't started to already). 290lb 30 year olds don't get faster. Not only will his quickness diminish, but I expect it will rapidly.

Meanwhile, what do we have behind him? Josh Brent? Like the player, but he's just solid.

Then there's talk of moving Lissimore or Spears inside. Again, not prototypical NT's.

I don't get how/why we don't see that position as a need on this team.

Reaction score
Two Centers and two Guards were picked between the Cowboys' 3rd round pick and the Cowboys' first 4th round pick. I found that disappointing while I was watching the draft.

Who knows? Could be that one of these guys would have been picked had they been around.

(Listening to the day three press conference, though, it sure sounded like the Cowboys had targeted the two guys they ultimately drafted in the 4th round)

Reaction score
(Listening to the day three press conference, though, it sure sounded like the Cowboys had targeted the two guys they ultimately drafted in the 4th round)

Yeah, I saw a snippet on how we were offered a trade one time, but we didn't want to lose out on our guys.

I find that kind of comical. I mean, maybe Wilber would've been snatched up. But I'm pretty sure the vanilla safety would've been available later.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, teams always claim they got the guys they wanted. Kind of like college recruiting classes.

I wasn't a Decastro or bust guy, just the opposite really, but a second or third rounder who isn't a complete project like Arkin would be nice to see at some point.

wyvrn

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Trading for the CB in the draft kind of screwed them. They lost out on Decastro and Konz. And based on their history, they aren't consistent in drafting middle round OL. And they are rationalizing that Costa, Arkin, Kowalski, etc.. are already young projects so why bother taking another late in this draft. It's either take one of the best as in Smith, or just skip it all together. They also needed DL help and basically had to take one in the third. The trade just put them in a bad position with drafting OL.

C is going to be tough this year unless Costa added some serious muscle in the offseason. The two guards they signed are large, but average at best. The T position will be very solid, but the interior is just going to plague them. Given the odds, one of the young draftees will work out at least to be decent, but overall that is still not a great line.

Top Bottom