Reaction score
I can't identify the greatest RB ever ... there have been several of them. The discussion often isn't clear either. Are we talking the most talented RB ever or the RB who had the greatest ever career?

Herschel was remarkable during his first stop in Dallas. Bo Jackson was amazing. Billy Sims. John Brockington was amazing for a short period of time given that he basically did it all on his own, without any supporting cast. And these guys are the guys who aren't mentioned in the greatest ever discussion.

Which other RBs were remarkable but are never mentioned as the best of all time? I'm not sure Tomlinson gets mentioned. Dorsett usually doesn't. And I guess Dickerson falls in this category too. He's usually not mentioned.

It'd be something to have Barry Sanders in his prime behind the current Dallas OL. He'd have had far fewer negative yardage plays and even more highlights.

His career only lasted 5 minutes, but Bo Jackson would make my short list. I made a point of watching Raiders games when he played and I was in no way a Raiders fan. I didn't care a bit about his team, but he was remarkable.

During the first half or so of his career, Walter Peyton was as great as any.

I'm pretty sure that Zeke isn't at the Bo Jackson / Walter Peyton level, but Zeke is still developing so we don't really know how good he can be. He does have a chance of putting together one of the all-time great careers, though. It is a matter of how long he stays healthy and how long before he starts slowing down (as all RBs do).

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I can't identify the greatest RB ever ... there have been several of them. The discussion often isn't clear either. Are we talking the most talented RB ever or the RB who had the greatest ever career?

Herschel was remarkable during his first stop in Dallas. Bo Jackson was amazing. Billy Sims. John Brockington was amazing for a short period of time given that he basically did it all on his own, without any supporting cast. And these guys are the guys who aren't mentioned in the greatest ever discussion.

Which other RBs were remarkable but are never mentioned as the best of all time? I'm not sure Tomlinson gets mentioned. Dorsett usually doesn't. And I guess Dickerson falls in this category too. He's usually not mentioned.

It'd be something to have Barry Sanders in his prime behind the current Dallas OL. He'd have had far fewer negative yardage plays and even more highlights.

His career only lasted 5 minutes, but Bo Jackson would make my short list. I made a point of watching Raiders games when he played and I was in no way a Raiders fan. I didn't care a bit about his team, but he was remarkable.

During the first half or so of his career, Walter Peyton was as great as any.

I'm pretty sure that Zeke isn't at the Bo Jackson / Walter Peyton level, but Zeke is still developing so we don't really know how good he can be. He does have a chance of putting together one of the all-time great careers, though. It is a matter of how long he stays healthy and how long before he starts slowing down (as all RBs do).

Most people say it was Jim Brown but I cant honesty say that. I was just a little kid when he retired and didnt see him play. He does look unstoppable on the highlights and you have to think at the time he played the league was run first, and defenses had to be scheming to stop him. They still couldnt though.

Reaction score
If Garrett had coached those Rams teams, he'd have Dickerson carrying it 12 times a game and Dieter Brock or whatever crap QB they had throwing it 40 times a game because, you know, they were playing eight in the box and we have to take what the defense is giving us.

Sounds like you don't understand what's being built there.

Reaction score
Eric Dickerson
Att - 390
Yds - 1808
Ypg - 113

Elliott after seven games
Att- 159
Yds - 799
Ypg - 114.1

Needs to average 112.1 ypg over the remaining 9 games to break the record

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
that kid on the left with the gray shirt kinda looks like twill

Reaction score
It hurt to have that 60 yarder called back on a ticky tack holding penalty. And even though I was one of those people telling others to tap the breaks on Zeke, I now freely admit I was out of my mind. The kid is real, and I do think he breaks the record as well as takes the rushing yards title this year. All Pro as a rookie is a very real possibility here too.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Eric Dickerson
Att - 390
Yds - 1808
Ypg - 113

Att- 159
Yds - 799
Ypg - 114.1

Needs to average 112.1 ypg over the remaining 9 games to break the record

Would be a shame if that called back 60 yd run costs him the record.

Reaction score
Eric Dickerson
Att - 390
Yds - 1808
Ypg - 113

Att- 177
Yds - 891
Ypg - 111.375

Needs to average 114.6 ypg over the remaining 8 games to break the record

That needs to average number keeps growing..... Unless he has a monster game in the coming weeks, its unlikely he breaks it.

Bluenoser

In the Rotation
Reaction score
How do ppl feel about sitting Zeke in the 4th? Clevelands d was defeated. He would have killed them.

Reaction score
Would be a shame if that called back 60 yd run costs him the record.

I'm sure Dickerson had runs called back due to holding as well. But I agree, it would suck. Just like when Peterson was what, 8 yards away from breaking Dickersons single season rushing record of 2105?

Reaction score
How do ppl feel about sitting Zeke in the 4th? Clevelands d was defeated. He would have killed them.

I hated it. Zeke breaking this record is all I'm basically rooting for this season. Still hate any team led by Garrett.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
midswat i hope something hits you in the head really hard and makes you forget about the last 20 years of bullshit. maybe then you can sit back and enjoy watching dallas whoop some ass like the rest of us.

seriously garrett is not leading this team. you live in a world of labels. "head coach" is just a silly label. might as well say "head cheerleader." who fuckin cares?

Reaction score
Eric Dickerson
Att - 390
Yds - 1808
Ypg - 113

Att- 198
Yds - 1005
Ypg - 111.66

Needs to average 114.71 ypg over the remaining 7 games to break the record

English Cowboy

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Eric Dickerson believes his rookie rushing record is safe

By Mike Florio | Nov 17, 2016, 10:47 GMT+00:00

Four years after Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson spent weeks worrying that his single-season rushing record would be broken by Adrian Peterson, Dickerson now has seven more weekends to sweat over Ezekiel Elliott breaking Dickerson’s rookie rushing record.

Dickerson doesn’t seem to be worried.

“Zeke does a great job of picking and choosing his holes, he really does,” Dickerson said on ESPN’s SportsCenter, via USA Today. “And the offensive line, they stopped everybody at the line of scrimmage. But is he gonna break that record? No, he ain’t gonna break that record. That record's safe.”

Currently on pace to come within 21 yards of the 1,808 mark set by Dickerson in 1983, Dickerson’s position may be rooted in wishful thinking. Unless the Cowboys wrap up the No. 1 seed with a few weeks left and then deliberately underutilize Elliott down the stretch, Elliott will continue to do the things he has been doing — displaying an uncanny mix of power and speed that has made him well worth the fourth overall pick in the draft.

Reaction score
That's a great point.... odds are Elliotts playing time will diminish the final week or two of the season. So unless he has a monster 180+ yard game the next few weeks, that record is safe.

114 ypg isn't easy to maintain over 7 weeks.

My guess is he ends up right around 1700 yards, which by no means is anything to be ashamed of.

Top Bottom