LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There's no doubt that we have problems with this Oline. I won't say it sucks, because I do not fully believe that. I do believe that we have some players that are in the wrong position. Number 1 being Gurode. Gurode should not be a Center. To me a Center needs to be intelligent, needs to be sound with technique, and no how to motivate the Oline. The Center is the QB of the Oline. Gurode has none of these qualities. He's big and strong as an ox, and unfortunately as dumb as one as well. Ray Donaldson was intelligent, and certainly Stepnoski. I live up here in Minnesota and was able to see a smart Center and eventual HOFer in action for many years, I'm talking about Matt Birk. The guy was a Harvard graduate, but I am not saying that are Center have to be an Ivy Leaguer, but that is the position where you need the player to be the LEADER. Gurode is not a leader, and yet he has often a bad influence upon the Oline. If he is uninspired, the rest of the Oline follows suit. The guy does not even call out the line assignments--Kosier does.

One thing that irks me most is how we waste late round picks on Olinemen. IT DOESN'T WORK. If you do not select an Olineman in either of the first 3 rounds, then you should not even bother. If there is a reason why they were not in your top round of your board, why waste a pick and a roster space for them? There is no excuse for next year in the draft in not using less than 2 of the first 3 picks on Oline. But even moreso, Houck needs to go. The lack of this Oline being uninspired starts with him.

C

Cr122

One thing that irks me most is how we waste late round picks on Olinemen. IT DOESN'T WORK. If you do not select an Olineman in either of the first 3 rounds, then you should not even bother. If there is a reason why they were not in your top round of your board, why waste a pick and a roster space for them? There is no excuse for next year in the draft in not using less than 2 of the first 3 picks on Oline. But even moreso, Houck needs to go. The lack of this Oline being uninspired starts with him.

I agree, we do need to draft lineman earlier on, but we also need someone that can scout these guys prior to the draft.

And yes Houck needs to go, he's past his prime.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Romo Provides Red-Zone Perspective
Posted by nickeatman at 8/13/2010 11:31 AM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo knows the team needs to score a touchdown inside the red zone. But while it’d be nice to execute a little better here in the preseason, he knows the red zone woes from last year haven’t continued.

They don’t continue until the regular season.

When asked if the play-calling was different in the preseason, Romo jumped on that question following Thursday’s preseason game against the Raiders.

“It’s tremendous. A big part of the game planning is the red zone,” Romo said. “That’s where you make a lot of your plays. We’re running the same plays we’re running on the first or second from the 40 yard line, that we’re running at the 10 and 20. But that’s to our benefit as we go into the season.

“Congratulations if you score a touchdown now and you guys write about it for a week and then that play doesn’t work in Washington (Sept. 12) because we used it. There’s also the sense that says we need to just get in there and go, to find a way and we will.”

C

Cr122

Hopefully, you will find a way to score, because so far you have proven you can't score any touchdowns in two games.

You still should be able to score touchdowns without showing your opponent your full hand.

Your problem is obvious, the offensive line play is poor.

MichaelWinicki

In the Rotation
Reaction score
I have some concerns about the O-line, but I'm not going to deep-end yet.

Has Columbo lost it? To me he's the biggest problem.

Let's see how the starters play vs San Diego.

sbk92

Reaction score
I have some concerns about the O-line, but I'm not going to deep-end yet.

Has Columbo lost it? To me he's the biggest problem.

Let's see how the starters play vs San Diego.

No. I don't think Colombo has lost it.

Because I don't think he's ever had it. He's a JAG on his best day.

Homers will say stuff like it's just the preseason. LOLZ knee jerk! The reality of the situation is the Cowboys offensive line hasn't been good enough for years. It's what ended our season last year. They were dominated by the Vikings.

So to act like this performance doesn't mean anything is laughable. These guys aren't good enough. It's not a preseason thing, it's a lack of talent thing.

sbk92

Reaction score
Hopefully, you will find a way to score, because so far you have proven you can't score any touchdowns in two games.

You still should be able to score touchdowns without showing your opponent your full hand.

The opponent isn't showing it's full hand either.

Romo is talking like his loser head coach here. Making excuses for not being good enough. Let's not act like the Cowboys are the only team playing vanilla right now.

You didn't score because you weren't good enough to score. Simple as that.

And until the Cowboys have a line capable of getting some push in the red zone, they will always kick too many FGs.

sbk92

Reaction score
His massive ego,not accomplishments.At least it seemed players and staff were more accountable.I'm not a Phillips fan as a head coach,although to be fair,he has produced results.I'd like to see Wade fly off the handle one time just so I'd know he can do it.

Parcells changed the culture of the entire team. From the way we scout players to the roster itself.

He put together the core of this team. Taught them how to practice. How to win.

Now if you're an idiot homer like midswat, you'll point to wins and act like you just schooled somebody.

But if you have any clue about the game, you'll know Parcells never had this team. He was developing the franchise QB that he brought here. He was developing the stud WR that he brought here. The Wares, Wittens, Ratliffs, Barbers, Spears,....all those guys were young players yet to reach their prime while he was here.

It's completely idiotic to compare the two as if they had the same team.

And the final game, set, match to that discussion is a simple reverse of order. Bring Wade Phillips in in 2003 instead of the first ballot hall of famer.

Then bring in Parcells two years later to start the clean up after Wade is fired as the bum head coach he truly is.

sbk92

Reaction score
There's no doubt in my mind this effects Garrett's play calling.

The fans are all over him about it, but the fact is he doesn't trust this line to get the tough yards. That's why you see the delays and draws, why you see them throwing so much inside the 10.

Get the guy a line that can play and watch how much he "improves" at calling plays.

C

Cr122

The way I've seen Washington play their first preseason game, it's got me worried for the opener for sure.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Look people. How many games did the Cowboys go without scoring a TD in the opening drive? All but maybe 2 or 3? We always been slow getting out the gate.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The way I've seen Washington play their first preseason game, it's got me worried for the opener for sure.

LOL!!! Tell me something... when the Raiders schlacked us last year in the first preseason game 31-10, were you also this scared? I saw that game last night. On the opening drive, the Bills moved the ball with relatively ease. I don't know about yoi, but it looked like to me that the Redskins went all out on this game. Certainly didn't look vanilla. They played much like this in Zorn's, Gibbs' and Spurrier's debut. Hey! In Zorn's debut, they beat the Colts 30-16. It's the newness of everything. They at home, they had to put on a show, and they did just that. But are they sure they want McNabb running about like that?

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Parcells changed the culture of the entire team. From the way we scout players to the roster itself.

He put together the core of this team. Taught them how to practice. How to win.

Except in the playoffs.

Now if you're an idiot homer like midswat, you'll point to wins and act like you just schooled somebody.

But if you have any clue about the game, you'll know Parcells never had this team. He was developing the franchise QB that he brought here. He was developing the stud WR that he brought here. The Wares, Wittens, Ratliffs, Barbers, Spears,....all those guys were young players yet to reach their prime while he was here.

What franchise QB he was developing? What stud WR? It was Payton that had to twist Parcells' arm to get Romo here. And if Parcells had his way, Spears would have been drafted before Ware and more than likely we would have missed out on Ware. Aas for Barber, weren't you just badmouthing him recently?

It's completely idiotic to compare the two as if they had the same team.

And the final game, set, match to that discussion is a simple reverse of order. Bring Wade Phillips in in 2003 instead of the first ballot hall of famer.

Then bring in Parcells two years later to start the clean up after Wade is fired as the bum head coach he truly is.[/QUOTE]

C

Cr122

LOL!!! Tell me something... when the Raiders schlacked us last year in the first preseason game 31-10, were you also this scared? I saw that game last night. On the opening drive, the Bills moved the ball with relatively ease. I don't know about yoi, but it looked like to me that the Redskins went all out on this game. Certainly didn't look vanilla. They played much like this in Zorn's, Gibbs' and Spurrier's debut. Hey! In Zorn's debut, they beat the Colts 30-16. It's the newness of everything. They at home, they had to put on a show, and they did just that. But are they sure they want McNabb running about like that?

I don't care if we played vanilla or not, you still need to show you can score touchdowns.

Our offensive line hasn't shown me anything in the first two games. Maybe Free played okay along with Gurode and Kosier at times.

But if you can't see that we have issues on the offensive line you're not seeing the big picture. And yes preseason or not The Redskins offense looks better than ours.

C

Cr122

Look people. How many games did the Cowboys go without scoring a TD in the opening drive? All but maybe 2 or 3? We always been slow getting out the gate.

Look, I want them to correct their problems the same as any other Cowboys fan.

When I see us score some touchdowns, it will make me feel a bit better with the offense.

If it's not corrected in this next game, if I were you I'd be worried as well.
Know as far as our defense and special teams I am very happy with them at this point.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Look, I want them to correct their problems the same as any other Cowboys fan.

When I see us score some touchdowns, it will make me feel a bit better with the offense.

If it's not corrected in this next game, if I were you I'd be worried as well.
Know as far as our defense and special teams I am very happy with them at this point.

I understand. Even agree. This team is talented enough to where they should be scoring on every possession. They start off slow like that. I find it maddening. This next game or the one after is the dress rehearsal.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I don't care if we played vanilla or not, you still need to show you can score touchdowns.

Our offensive line hasn't shown me anything in the first two games. Maybe Free played okay along with Gurode and Kosier at times.

But if you can't see that we have issues on the offensive line you're not seeing the big picture. And yes preseason or not The Redskins offense looks better than ours.

We stunk it up in preseason last year. But go ahead and worry. I do not see the point it.

C

Cr122

We stunk it up in preseason last year. But go ahead and worry. I do not see the point it.

I hope I am wrong LL, I really do. I'll be the first to say I was.

I think we have a good enough team to win it all this year, but this offense needs to get their head out of their asses or we won't. Just show me with the starters that they can score some touchdowns and I'm happy.

sbk92

Reaction score
I hope I am wrong LL, I really do. I'll be the first to say I was.

I think we have a good enough team to win it all this year, but this offense needs to get their head out of their asses or we won't. Just show me with the starters that they can score some touchdowns and I'm happy.

When you don't have an offensive line, you can't win.

Unless they play significantly better on a consistent basis, we have no shot.

C

Cr122

When you don't have an offensive line, you can't win.

Unless they play significantly better on a consistent basis, we have no shot.

It seems to look that way.

I'm not throwing in the towel on our offense just yet.

I know we have issues, but we scored points last year with basically the same group we have now, so something has to give.

I think we can still be an average scoring team this year, just not a juggernaut like some expect us to be. We are not going to be held with no touchdowns for long. But I do understand we don't have a very good line at this point.

I'm just on the fence still about totally giving up on them at this point.

Top Bottom