sbk92

Reaction score
Posted by nickeatman at 8/12/2010 10:27 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com

Ok, so sometimes we jump the gun. Like I did earlier tonight when I was talking about the offensive line not taking all the blame for those sacks.

Well, by the end of the night, it certainly didn’t look too hot for the line. All the blame? No. A lot of it? Ok maybe so.

Really the offense didn’t do anything impressive all night. And if they always say it starts and ends with the line, then you have to point towards the trenches on this one.

From start to finish, there were problems. Now, I did agree with Wade Phillips when he said those first sacks seemed to be a product of holding the ball too long- which is part Romo’s problem and part the receivers’ fault for not getting open.

And then you get to the second-team line and once again, it wasn’t pretty. I’m wondering how Robert Brewster will be evaluated after this one. I really didn’t think he played that well the first game Sunday night, but the coaching staff said he graded out well.

So this time, I feel even stronger about thinking that Brewster struggled. But who knows how he’ll be evaluated.

I’ve said it once, and I’ll say it again – he looks like a guard to me.

But this team has three more games to figure it out. But so far, it obviously needs some work.

sbk92

Reaction score
I love the excuses.

The real reason is the players aren't good enough. Not just the backups, the starters. Not good enough. A lack of talent.

If it's a train wreck this year, then maybe this idiot GM will finally react to it and at least attempt to bring in new linemen worth a shat.

This doesn't happen when you have a real personnel guy in charge. It never gets to crisis mode like this where you literally have nothing along the offensive line.

The best they'll be on a great day is average. I highly doubt any team can overcome that. No matter how talented the rest of the team is.

sbk92

Reaction score
Taylor: Fans should be worried about Cowboys' struggling line

Column by JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News | jjtaylor@dallasnews.com

ARLINGTON – It's silly to overreact, positively or negatively, to a preseason football game.

The preseason, for the most part, is about the individual development of players as opposed to team results, especially since the starters don't play that much. The coaches use simple game plans, and the games don't come anywhere near regular-season intensity.

But that doesn't mean we should ignore the raggedy performance the offensive line turned in Thursday night against Oakland in the Cowboys' second preseason game.

It remains way too early for full-blown panic, but there's nothing wrong with being concerned after the first-team offense failed to score a touchdown for the second consecutive game.

The starting offensive line played three series – two with Tony Romo and one with Jon Kitna – and yielded four sacks. Maybe they were coverage sacks. Perhaps the quarterbacks missed some reads.

The truth won't be revealed until the coaching staff does its videotape autopsy. The reasons, feel free to call them excuses, don't really matter because the pressure was real.

Bottom line: the first-team offense netted only 53 yards – 22 rushing and 31 passing – in its 20 plays. That's 2.7 yards per play, which we all know is awful.

The offensive line wasn't physical, and it didn't control the line of scrimmage. The Raiders, to be honest, pushed it around.

"I didn't like giving up five sacks in the first half," said coach Wade Phillips, who clearly was peeved. "That's not good enough. We have things we need to work on.

"They played a pretty basic defense. They didn't rush us like Cincinnati did last week. I didn't see any five-man pressure."

Granted, Oakland's defense is supposed to be pretty good. Then again, so is the Cowboys' offensive line.

Say what you want about Jason Garrett's play selection, but the Cowboys still averaged 399.4 yards per game last season, second in the NFL behind New Orleans.

You can't do that with a bad offensive line. The line remains intact except for left tackle Doug Free, who seems to have beaten out Alex Barron and replaced Flozell Adams.

This is a good unit, you just couldn't tell from its performance against Oakland.

"They definitely brought the pressure early, and you can tell those guys came to play. We went out there and fought through it but didn't really execute," guard Leonard Davis said. "It comes down to us going out and playing our style of game. We have to play physical, be consistent and play with fire.

"I expected them to bring the pressure because everyone plays to win. It doesn't matter if it's preseason, regular season or the playoffs. I wouldn't expect anything less."

Dallas moved 45 yards on 12 plays on its first possession, resulting in a 42-yard field goal by David Buehler, but the Cowboys gave up three sacks on the drive.

A first-and-10 from the Oakland 16 quickly became second-and-19 after Lamarr Houston beat Marc Colombo for a sack. Two plays later, linebacker Trevor Scott sacked Romo on third-and-18.

The Cowboys' offensive line is a veteran group aside from Free. It knows how to prepare for the regular season.

Ordinarily, you could ignore the offensive line's performance, but the last time we saw this unit in a real game, Minnesota was manhandling it in a 34-3 win in the playoffs. In that game, the Vikings recorded six sacks and forced three Romo fumbles.

Every quarterback succumbs to pressure. Quarterbacks under duress make mistakes, which is why NFL defenses focus on applying pressure and making quarterbacks uncomfortable.

The Cowboys have a plethora of sexy offensive weapons – from running back Felix Jones to tight end Jason Witten to receiver Miles Austin . And we haven't even talked about the complementary players such as Marion Barber, Martellus Bennett , Patrick Crayton and Dez Bryant.

Their talents, though, won't matter if the offensive line can't protect Romo long enough for him to get the ball to them.

Reaction score
If it's a train wreck this year, then maybe this idiot GM will finally react to it and at least attempt to bring in new linemen worth a shat.

This doesn't happen when you have a real personnel guy in charge.

lol

If only we had teh PURCELLS!!!111 to get us some more Pat McQuistains, EJ Whitleys, Jacob Rogers, Ryan Youngs, Rob Pettitis and Al Johnsons.

Enough said . . .

C

Cr122

Our offensive line sucks.

What I witnessed last night no matter who drafted what player was pure shit.

From Free all the way down to Young they flat out stink. And so does this coaching staff.

Yeah I will give the Raiders some credit for playing good defense, but we couldn't run block or pass block to save my life.

We were giving an opportunity by recovering a fumble at the Raiders 10 yard line and still ended up with only a field goal.

You want to talk about our newest players, Sam Young,Mike Tepper those two did poorly as well and they weren't drafted by Bill Parcells.

You want to know who I blame? I blame Jerry for not hiring the right personal or scouts to draft the proper pieces. I dunno what to expect from this group this year, but what I saw was a team that couldn't score touchdowns and I don't give a shit if it was preseason or regular season.

So this moron who wrote this article is going to tell me it could be the QBs holding on to the football too long? lol

As soon as the ball was snapped the quarterbacks couldn't even get their feet set. A QB should at least be able to make a three step drop and plant his feet to make a throw, I hardly saw that in the first two games this preseason. From Tony to Matt Nichols last night none of them barely had a chance to get set in their throws.

Yeah, you could blame the QBs a little, but the obvious issue is our offensive line isn't any good. I don't know what they were watching last night.

sbk92

Reaction score
I don't blame the QB's. I blame the collection of complete shat we have along the offensive line. From starter to backup.

We have two guys with any real ability. Gurode and Davis. And both are fat and content. They're playing like they don't care anymore.

Reaction score
I don't blame the QB's. I blame the collection of complete shat we have along the offensive line. From starter to backup.

We have two guys with any real ability. Gurode and Davis. And both are fat and content. They're playing like they don't care anymore.

I'd count Free in there.

I think he will make a solid LT, but even if he doesn't he's proven he's can handle the RT spot.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I agree w SBK's observation about our GM.

Jones is trying to wear too many hats.He will always have in the back of his mind things like attendance, memorabilia,TV deals,and how many goddamn nachos the guy in section D sold.(hmm,nachos)

Jones will never be a personnel guy,not truly.
Parcells greatest strength lies in the fact that he will fuck you up if you don't do your job.
Wade will give you good scolding.

The one thing that overrides all else is Jerry's massive ego.He has been successful his whole life.There's no doubt he's made the Cowboys a financial monster.Success.
The Cowboys have a winning record under the Phillips/Garrett/Jones regime,and a couple of NFC East titles.
Put that with a couple of bucks,and we could get a Big Mac.FAIL.

But a decent won loss record doesn't put trophies in the case or rings on your finger.(or in my avatar)
You know when you miss a prick like Bill Parcells,something ain't right.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'm curious . . .

What did Parcells accomplish here that makes you miss him?

His massive ego,not accomplishments.At least it seemed players and staff were more accountable.I'm not a Phillips fan as a head coach,although to be fair,he has produced results.I'd like to see Wade fly off the handle one time just so I'd know he can do it.

Reaction score
His massive ego,not accomplishments.At least it seemed players and staff were more accountable. I'm not a Phillips fan as a head coach,although to be fair,he has produced results.I'd like to see Wade fly off the handle one time just so I'd know he can do it.

I'd take produced results over a perception any day of the week.

That's just me though . . .

C

Cr122

His massive ego,not accomplishments.At least it seemed players and staff were more accountable.I'm not a Phillips fan as a head coach,although to be fair,he has produced results.I'd like to see Wade fly off the handle one time just so I'd know he can do it.

I can agree in part with this, but sometimes it doesn't work on certain players and coaches.

I too like a more aggressive head coach and one who holds them accountable. Wade doesn't have a sac to shoot a woodchuck.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
I'd take produced results over a perception any day of the week.

That's just me though . . .

Nicely said.
No,it's probably not just you.
Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see Wade hold some people's feet to the fire.

C

Cr122

If we don't win the Super Bowl this year, I will all but guarantee Wade Phillips will be fired and most of the staff as well.

Reaction score
If the the offense coems out next game and lights it up... will all things be forgiven?

Not likely.

The concern about our line is valid. It's definitely our weak link. But I think some of the teeth gnashing is typical pre-season knee-jerk reaction.

C

Cr122

I duuno, I have nothing bad to say about our defense and special teams play so far.

Just the offense is stinking up the joint.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
:frustrate

I know I'm having some knee jerks.
I hate to lose,preseason or not.
But I really hate to lose when I see a performance like the offense put on last night.

C

Cr122

:frustrate

I know I'm having some knee jerks.
I hate to lose,preseason or not.
But I really hate to lose when I see a performance like the offense put on last night.

I know, I don't like to lose either.

I want to see our offense score some touchdowns before the season opener against Washington.

I have high expectations for this team this year.

Top Bottom