jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Good Lord man. We were talking about where our 3-4 DL and OLB line up, not about the ILB. We subbed out a ILB for a DB, we call that a Nickel Package. 4-3 teams take out their MLB or SLB when they go Nickel.

So you do realize you showed a picture of a package defense and not a true 3/4.

There might be hope for you yet.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
3-4_base_defense.svg

So please explain how Ware is going against the OT in this particular defense.

Or do you think a 4-3 DE plays behind the DT in a 4-3?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You asked where a 3-4 DE lines up I showed you.

You asked where a 3-4 OLB lines up I showed you.

You said Ware would be the lightest DE and I showed you he wouldn't be.

You said Ware has never played DE, you were incorrect.

I showed you examples of 3-4 OLB's moving to 4-3 DE and vice versa.

I guess you can't teach blind people to see. I'm sorry I wasted my time.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Signing Connor gives the Cowboys young depth and a rest for either Carter or Lee.

I think Connor and Carter will have a solid battle in training camp for the starting job. The loser still plays a ton. Orie Lemon is in line for the final ILB spot unless someone slips in the draft.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
deja vu all over again people

watch the games, ur rush end (no matter the alignment) is going to be matched up against a tackle like most of the time. the end.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
fig12.jpg

The 3-4 defense is a basic defensive formation that is used by several NFL teams. Bud Wilkenson devised the alignment at the University of Oklahoma in the late 1940s. The alignment features three down lineman and four linebackers in the front seven, thus the name 3-4.

If you take a look at the illustration on the right, you will see a diagram outlining the 3-4 defense. The Os in the diagram represent offensive players while the Xs represent the placement of the defensive players.

Notice the lowest row of Xs on the line of scrimmage (imaginary line seperating the offense and defense). You have two defensive ends (DE), one on each end of the line, and one nose tackle (NT) in between. Right behind the defensive line are four linebackers (LB). At times, one or more of the linebackers will line up on the line of scrimmage as is shown in the diagram.

Two cornerbacks (CB), one on each side of the field, line up to cover the wide receivers. There are also two safeties. The exact positioning of the defensive backs (cornerbacks and safeties) depends on the type of pass coverage they are in.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3–4_defense

Defensive line
220px-DefTackle34.svg.png

Some 3–4 teams (such as the Pittsburgh Steelers) use the three down linemen primarily to occupy the offensive linemen. In such systems the defensive linemen are assigned two gaps to defend. The NT is responsible for defending plays which occur in the spaces, or gaps, between the center and guards. Each of those spaces is called an A gap. Flanking the NT, DEs defend the gaps on either side of the tackle he lines up across from. Each guard-tackle gap is a B gap and the space outside each tackle is called a C gap. Other 3–4 teams (such as the San Diego Chargers and the Dallas Cowboys) primarily make each lineman responsible for only one gap.[c

Linebackers

220px-3-4_base_defense.svg.png

A drawback of the 3–4 is that without a fourth lineman to take on the offensive blockers and close the running lanes, both the defensive linemen and the linebackers can be overwhelmed by blocking schemes in the running game. To be effective, 3–4 linebackers need their defensive line to routinely tie up a minimum of four (preferably all five) offensive linemen, freeing them to make tackles. The 3–4 linebackers must be very athletic and strong enough to shed blocks by fullbacks, tight ends, and offensive linemen to get to the running back. In most cases, 3–4 OLBs lead their teams in quarterback sacks.[11]

Reaction score
FYI Ware has played defensive end in the NFL. Late in Parcell's second season, we scrapped the 3-4 and went to 4-3 due to injury. I think Ware even had like a 3 sack game against Detroit in the finale...playing DE.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
big boi reading wiki articles about defense isn't teaching you anything.

it's got fuck-all to do with "where you line up"

it has to do with the offense's blocking assignments. The tackle will almost always be assigned to the rush end, unless the play is designed to go away from the rush end, like a strongside running play. in which case the tackle might be assigned to pull or take a pull step and try to hook the DT/3-4DE, something like that.

There is not a notable difference in matchup/beating taken from a 3-4 OLB to a 4-3 DE. no amount of wiki articles will change that.

Reaction score
Ryan likes to run multiple formations. Watch any game last year, the formations change from each down. On passing downs he is going to get all these linebackers on the field at once.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
big boi reading wiki articles about defense isn't teaching you anything.

it's got fuck-all to do with "where you line up"

it has to do with the offense's blocking assignments. The tackle will almost always be assigned to the rush end, unless the play is designed to go away from the rush end, like a strongside running play. in which case the tackle might be assigned to pull or take a pull step and try to hook the DT/3-4DE, something like that.

There is not a notable difference in matchup/beating taken from a 3-4 OLB to a 4-3 DE. no amount of wiki articles will change that.

So its a good thing I did not only use Wiki right?

Are you also saying you know more than Brian Billick because he agrees with me and Wiki and I am glad you ignored every other thing I posted.

Top Bottom