Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
You can get Coleman and Spears off the field in other ways we still have the draft and money left over in FA.

You can also stop Spencer and Ware from playing in coverage by the LB's you have brought in, I think Conner and Carter will both take over some of Spencer's coverage responsibilities.

I just think a total defensive change is needed would rather keep things flexible and upgrade the talent all around.

You can't get ILBs to take your coverage responsibilities at OLB when the TE is running at you.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
we've been over this it's not that much more pounding. He's getting the same matchups for the most part.

No he is not, that's a myth that some continue to hold on too.

And frankly it shows some really have no idea of what the 2 positions are required to do and its really simple if you just look at who those guys line up over.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
man .. 3-4 ROLB and 4-3 RDE are almost the exact same position.

3-4 LOLB and 4-3 LDE differ some because of coverage issues but are very similar.

Ware would have almost no adjustment if we moved.

Thats totally false who is lining up over the OT in a a 3/4 defense.

What would Ware's responsibility be on run downs as a DE in a 4-3?

If its not that much difference then why even change?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ware lines up on the outside shoulder of the tackle.

Dwight Freeney, a 4-3 DE, lines up on the outside shoulder of the tackles. So does Jared Allen (RDE), Julius Peppers (LDE), Osi (RDE), Jason Babin (LDE), Lamar Woodley (ROLB), Terrell Suggs (ROLB), Clay Matthews (LOLB), Cliff Avril (DE), etc,

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Ware lines up on the outside shoulder of the tackle.

Dwight Freeney, a 4-3 DE, lines up on the outside shoulder of the tackles. So does Jared Allen (RDE), Julius Peppers (LDE), Osi (RDE), Jason Babin (LDE), Lamar Woodley (ROLB), Terrell Suggs (ROLB), Clay Matthews (LOLB), Cliff Avril (DE), etc,

No he does not,

Who does the DE line up over in a 3/4 defense or do you think they both line up over the OT?

If Ware lined up the same place as the DE in a 4-3 then why are we even talking about switching so he can just put his hand on the ground? :Dunce

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
No he does not,

Who does the DE line up over in a 3/4 defense or do you think they both line up over the OT?

If Ware lined up the same place as the DE in a 4-3 then why are we even talking about switching so he can just put his hand on the ground? :Dunce

Wow. Okay then.

When Houston ran the 4-3 in 2010 what position did Mario Williams play? What position did he move to when Wade Phillips took over the D and moved them to a 3-4? What position will Mario now play for the 4-3 running Bills?

Good day sir.

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Wow. Okay then.

When Houston ran the 4-3 in 2010 what position did Mario Williams play? What position did he move to when Wade Phillips took over the D and moved them to a 3-4? What position will Mario now play for the 4-3 running Bills?

Good day sir.

WTF?

What does that have to do with anything I said.

Do you think that Williams had the same responsibilities in both defenses?

You never answered the question about where the DE in a 3/4 lines up or do you think they both line up over the OT?

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
A 4-3 DE lines up on the outside shoulder of a tackle.
A 3-4 DE lines up between the guard and tackle.

This is a base model for both schemes, players have preferences on where and how they like to line up. La'Roi Glover use to line up at an angle to try to shoot the gap and Ratliff does that from time to time.

3-4 OLB will usually have outside contain on a run play.
4-3 DE will usually have outside contain on a run play.

Mario Williams went from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE in 3 years. Ware would easily move to RDE, his college position, if we decided to move to a 4-3.

Would you not agree that Williams and Ware are comparable players?

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
A 4-3 DE lines up on the outside shoulder of a tackle.
A 3-4 DE lines up between the guard and tackle.

This is a base model for both schemes, players have preferences on where and how they like to line up. La'Roi Glover use to line up at an angle to try to shoot the gap and Ratliff does that from time to time.

No defensive end in 4-3 gets to play in space like a 3/4 LB its just common sense.
3-4 OLB will usually have outside contain on a run play.
4-3 DE will usually have outside contain on a run play.

Mario Williams went from 4-3 DE to 3-4 OLB to 4-3 DE in 3 years. Ware would easily move to RDE, his college position, if we decided to move to a 4-3.

Would you not agree that Williams and Ware are comparable players?

This is not true I don't know what you have been watching.

I never said Ware could not play DE I said I don't want my best player switching positions and having to fight a OT on most running downs, there is a reason he plays the WOLB in our defense its because they want him to play in space.

Williams is 290, Ware is 260 at most no they are not comparable players.

So either you have Ware playing as one of the lightest DE in the NFL or you want him to gain weight and hope he is still the same player.

Last edited:

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Ware is 6'4" 260
Osi is 6'3" 255
Cliff Avril is 6'3" 260
Elvis Dumervill is 5'11" 260
Jason Babin is 6'3" 267
Allen is 6'6" 270
Williams is 6'6" 283
Freeney is 6'1" 268

Ware isn't the lightest and is similar size to several 4-3 DE's. Peppers, who I didn't list, and Mario Williams are 6'6", 280 plus pound freaks.

Also, all 4 of our current OLB's..Ware, Spencer, Butler, and Albright played 4-3 DE every down of their college careers.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
3-4_base_defense.svg

jiggyfly

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Ware is 6'4" 260
Osi is 6'3" 255
Cliff Avril is 6'3" 260
Elvis Dumervill is 5'11" 260
Jason Babin is 6'3" 267
Allen is 6'6" 270
Williams is 6'6" 283
Freeney is 6'1" 268

Ware isn't the lightest and is similar size to several 4-3 DE's. Peppers, who I didn't list, and Mario Williams are 6'6", 280 plus pound freaks.

Also, all 4 of our current OLB's..Ware, Spencer, Butler, and Albright played 4-3 DE every down of their college careers.

Ware has never played DE and is closer to 6'5 and would need to add some weight and use different technique and Oh yeah none of those guys has outperformed Ware as a OLB, so tell me again why we won't to have Ware change positions?

But anyway I am done, you can continue to believe the only difference would be him playing from a 3 point stance and that he and Williams are similar players and I will continue to laugh at you.

Good day to you sir.:howdy

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Ware is a better athlete than Jared Allen. I have no doubt that he would be a stud in a 4-3.

That said, I don't wanna see a switch. I'd much rather see a few more decent players brought in so Rob can run his defense the way it is.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
You showed a picture of a 3-4 with only 1 ILB and think that proves a point, anybody with sense would realize that is not a base set.

Or do you think we run a 3-3 defense.?

Good Lord man. We were talking about where our 3-4 DL and OLB line up, not about the ILB. We subbed out a ILB for a DB, we call that a Nickel Package. 4-3 teams take out their MLB or SLB when they go Nickel.

Top Bottom