Reaction score
Patrick Crayton once said, and fans mentality reflects this, that "you gotta hate to lose more than you love to win"?

We remember these heart breaking moments but quickly forget a lot of tony romo big balls moments. Bc they ultimately added up to a meaningless cowboys season.

And how Many times did he put us in a golden position to win only to have the GW kick blocked or have Garrett blow the clock management or the aforementioned Crayton drop said pass? Sometimes his throw that turns Into a "gaff" is way better than a throw that a more fortunate qb makes that results in an epic moment for that team.

What is my point? That Bc a series of crazy bad luck we will never really Know how good he really was ;(

Reaction score
It means what it means, and is correctly used. What do you think it means?:hui0jc.jpg
A straw man is a misrepresentation of another person's argument in an attempt to make your argument seem right. The stat sheik cited wasn't a misrepresentation of an argument, it was another fact supporting his argument.... that the stigma attached to Romo that his interceptions cause losses is without merit, as evidenced by the fact that he only had two of them in losses last season.

Arguments on a message board evolve over the course of people's posts. You can't just throw every single stat out there in one post that supports your argument, or no one would read the dissertation that resulted. And when you add in another point related to your argument, that's not automatically a straw man because you didn't mention it the first time.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I'll tell you what though, I have been watching Romo all day on NFL network. No matter your opinion of him he is always fun to watch. Even when he's just gone 0/16 on third downs over two games. (Per Troy Aikman on the TV broadcast.) - In a game we wouldn't have won without the Worst Defense In The World giving us a fumble return for a TD.

Reaction score
It is also arguing a point that was never made or even addressed.
Not really. If you're bringing up a point that was never made or addressed, that may just be another point to your argument as things are moving along... which is what happened in this thread.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Not really. If you're bringing up a point that was never made or addressed, that may just be another point to your argument as things are moving along... which is what happened in this thread.
No one specifically blamed Romo interceptions for 2013 losses, that I saw. Making the stat a non sequitur, at the very least. Note: "turnovers" does not automatically mean Romo interceptions or fumbles, or even Romo specifically.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I was razzing Sheik anyway - he brought the "stat of the week" over here from another thread where he'd used it to counter a point I never made, since I never mentioned Romo at all. What I'd said was "one or two less turnovers here, a few less punts there, and this team is 11-5 instead of 8-8" and he comes back with, "But Romo never threw a interception in a loss in 2013!"

I never mentioned Romo, but was amused that as soon as someone utters the word "turnover" Romo is the first person they think of.

Reaction score
No one specifically blamed Romo interceptions for 2013 losses, that I saw. Making the stat a non sequitur, at the very least. Note: "turnovers" does not automatically mean Romo interceptions or fumbles, or even Romo specifically.
And he didn't respond to anyone in particular, nor did he attribute that to anyone. You just don't like the stat because you've railed on Romo for turnovers in other threads, and brought up his interceptions in regards to his first game action against the Giants as a "harbinger of things to come."

Just because no one has specifically mentioned interceptions in 2013 as something against Romo in this particular thread doesn't mean it can't be talked about or is like something out of left field simply because it's brought up. Maybe it's a response to the thread topic, "describe the moment you liked tony romo most...." At any rate, it's certainly not irrelevant to the topic of Tony Romo given his reputation in the media and given the thoughts of certain anti-Romo people on this forum.

Reaction score
I was razzing Sheik anyway - he brought the "stat of the week" over here from another thread where he'd used it to counter a point I never made, since I never mentioned Romo at all. What I'd said was "one or two less turnovers here, a few less punts there, and this team is 11-5 instead of 8-8" and he comes back with, "But Romo never threw a interception in a loss in 2013!"

I never mentioned Romo, but was amused that as soon as someone utters the word "turnover" Romo is the first person they think of.
Are you really surprised that people assume you're blaming things on Romo when you say things like that, considering you actually blamed him for not getting this team to better than 8-8, when the team had a defense the shittiness of which we haven't seen in this franchise's history? You've blamed poor 3rd down conversion percentages on him, the Denver loss on him, the Green Bay loss on him, etc. Why would anyone think you're blaming someone else for turnovers and too many punts?

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Are you really surprised that people assume you're blaming things on Romo when you say things like that, considering you actually blamed him for not getting this team to better than 8-8, You've blamed poor 3rd down conversion percentages on him, the Denver loss on him, the Green Bay loss on him, etc.
Incorrect. See, here it is again. I merely BROUGHT UP these issues, never attributing them to anyone, and you assume it's Romobama. What I have said is, I hope we get to see a FULL SEASON without Romo. I hope he goes down early in camp with a career ending injury. The dude is a fucking JINX.

Top Bottom