Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Of course I shouldn't mention Drew Pearson, who was a quarterback before Dallas picked him up for almost nothing and made a hall of fame receiver out of him.

You think the quarterback position is sacred? There's cases of quarterbacks who became receivers in the NFL. It's not unheard of and it does work.

Reaction score
Of course I shouldn't mention Drew Pearson, who was a quarterback before Dallas picked him up for almost nothing and made a hall of fame receiver out of him.

You think the quarterback position is sacred? There's cases of quarterbacks who became receivers in the NFL. It's not unheard of and it does work.

Pearson was converted to a WR in college. Cowboys signed him as a WR.

You dont draft a QB in the 1st round of the NFL draft and convert him to a slot receiver after starting 1 game. The Browns need a QB. They have slot receivers (Hawkins). Manziel put up monster numbers in high school and college as a QB. He can throw the ball.

I mean, you are talking about retarded logic.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
You dont draft a QB in the 1st round of the NFL draft and convert him to a slot receiver after starting 1 game. The Browns need a QB. They have slot receivers (Hawkins). Manziel put up monster numbers in high school and college as a QB. He can throw the ball.

I mean, you are talking about retarded logic.
It's not my fault they were stupid enough to draft a midget QB at #22 in the first round. Johnny's already said he would do anything they want him to do. Let's test that.

Reaction score
It's not my fault they were stupid enough to draft a midget QB at #22 in the first round. Johnny's already said he would do anything they want him to do. Let's test that.

The Browns already have two slot receivers that are quicker and faster than Manziel. They drafted him as a QB to be a QB. He has to be given time to develop as a quarterback.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
It was his first start, chill. Lets see how he does in his next two starts. Aikman was horrific in his first start, lost 28-0 to the Saints with 2 INTs. Only idiots that lack in football knowledge would judge his career based on one game. I also must say the Browns “team” played horrible yesterday.

BTW, when he does play well, the Manziel haters wont come back to post.

Aikman wasnt horrific, he had zero supporting cast.

He made throws in that game just as he did in preseason that opened everyones eyes. While the game itself was bad, the talent was obviously there.

But I do agree with your statement its just one game and his first start, people shouldnt assume he will be bad simply because of that.

That said, my opinion of him wasnt changed yesterday. He did pretty much what I expected. He has obvious shortcomings that are going to be very hard for him to overcome.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Depends if he learns to protect himself. Slide when he needs to. Wilson does a great job doing that. Lets see what he does in these final two games.
This is where I go back to the fact that he's just a moron.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Depends if he learns to protect himself. Slide when he needs to. Wilson does a great job doing that. Lets see what he does in these final two games.

I know alot of people want to compare Manziel favorably to Wilson, but the difference is Wilson doesnt just have "quick feet" he has explosive speed. And he has tremendous arm talent and strength who can throw from the pocket as well as on the run. Then of course there's whats between the ears.

I think Manziel would have been incredibly challenged to be a good player regardless of where he went, but playing outdoors in Cleveland with the cold and especially the wind and other elements, he is not going to fare well. He has a mediocre at best arm and doesnt throw with alot of accuracy.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
And the other difference between the Midget and Wilson is, willingness to change. I haven't seen anything out of the Midget to show he is willing to change.

He has been watching and practicing now for many months. It's not like he hasn't been shown what is needed.

Reaction score
Aikman wasnt horrific, he had zero supporting cast.

He made throws in that game just as he did in preseason that opened everyones eyes. While the game itself was bad, the talent was obviously there.

But I do agree with your statement its just one game and his first start, people shouldnt assume he will be bad simply because of that.

That said, my opinion of him wasnt changed yesterday. He did pretty much what I expected. He has obvious shortcomings that are going to be very hard for him to overcome.

Its hard to go back and reflect on it some 20 years laters. I remember my dad cussing out Aikman for an entire season. I just kept saying, give him time to learn. Aikman had that dear in the headlights look. His first game where i was like “wow” was against Arizona where he split his chin and took some hard shots but made the throws. You knew this dude was tough.

Manziel might be a bust, who knows. Lets at least give him more than one start to judge. You like the classic pocket passers, i like the spinning Romo magic type stuff. To me Manziel has some of those intangibles but he is going to have to endure alot of growing pains much like Romo did. It might take the Landry 3 years to know for sure. Teddy Bridgewater is starting to look good, but tap the brakes.

Too much instant evaluations at an unpredictable position.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Its hard to go back and reflect on it some 20 years laters. I remember my dad cussing out Aikman for an entire season. I just kept saying, give him time to learn. Aikman had that dear in the headlights look. His first game where i was like “wow” was against Arizona where he split his chin and took some hard shots but made the throws. You knew this dude was tough.

Manziel might be a bust, who knows. Lets at least give him more than one start to judge. You like the classic pocket passers, i like the spinning Romo magic type stuff. To me Manziel has some of those intangibles but he is going to have to endure alot of growing pains much like Romo did. It might take the Landry 3 years to know for sure. Teddy Bridgewater is starting to look good, but tap the brakes.

Guys in the Manziel mold if you will, who made it did so because they are intelligent and willing to change.

My prediction - the midget will be a total bust. Now we'll see.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
I remember my dad cussing out Aikman for an entire season. I just kept saying, give him time to learn.
Your dad couldn't immediately see Aikman was already 100 times better than anyone else on the 1989 camp roster? - And this does include Danny.

Troy was a immediate 100 percent improvement at the position, from Day One. He BEAT Danny out and they retired him, and this was AFTER they had redone Danny's contract.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

Nailed it in dbair's case. You see how hung up he is on Troy Aikman?

Doomsday's deal is just that Manziel played at A&M and he doesn't like his 'tude.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
This was a eye opener, even for me. No it doesn't meet your impossible meter of first round quarterbacks converted - again, using a 1st round pick on the Midget speaks more to Cleveland's idiocy than it does for what Manziel could actually do - so it's safe to ignore the idiocy and just look at history.

Hines Ward and the 13 Best Converted Quarterbacks in NFL History | Bleacher Report

Converted quarterbacks is common place even more so now than ever before.

Many players get the opportunity to play quarterback in college because of their dual-threat ability.

In fact, some of the best and most exciting college quarterbacks were able to run and throw with the best of them.

However, when they get to the NFL, their athletic ability is not enough to get them a position behind center and many are turned into wide receivers.

So, who's the best of the group?

Ronald Curry was a standout quarterback at North Carolina. He set many records as a quarterback for the team and won MVP in two bowl games.

In 2002, he was selected by the Oakland Raiders in the seventh round. He would go on to play seven seasons in Oakland.

He has career totals of 193 receptions, 2,347 yards and 13 touchdowns.

At the University of Arkansas, Matt Jones played quarterback. He was a star athlete while with the Razorbacks.

Jones opened up eyes everywhere at the NFL combine where he measured at 6'6" and 237 lbs. with a 4.37 40-yard dash, 39.5" vertical and 10'10" broad jump.

He was called "The Freak" during the proceedings and was selected with the 21st overall pick in the 2005 NFL draft by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

He played four seasons in Jacksonville, but was released in 2009 for numerous drug problems.

Jones retired with totals of 166 receptions, 2,152 yards and 15 touchdowns.
Many more examples at the link.

Doomsday's deal is just that Manziel played at A&M
I don't give a shit where he played. I'm not a A&M hater at all.

Top Bottom