dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd prefer Savage over Murray.

I like Savage too, but if we want him it sounds like we'd have to take him pretty early. The nfln guys the other night did a thing on him and said he could end up going in round two now.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
I like Savage too, but if we want him it sounds like we'd have to take him pretty early. The nfln guys the other night did a thing on him and said he could end up going in round two now.

TWO? Holy shit. I thought he was supposed to be a 4th-5th round guy.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Hell after the season most were saying he'd be lucky to be a 6th or 7th rd pick. Dude has had a huge rise up boards.

But he does seem to have real throwing talent to go with good size.

Reaction score
Not that team does what it should ever, but drafting a 3rd stringer with a 3rd round pick, with all of the holes this team has, seems insane to me.
I don't look at it that way. If Romo goes down for any significant amount of time, Murray would be the starter to get ready for the future. If its just a game, you still have Orton. I think its more like 2a and 2b.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
We need to cut Orton. He's taking up a lot of cap space and he's not even good. I know Jerry loves bragging about paying backups a lot of money, but it's not how you do things. You go with young, cheap players with upside. That's how Jimmy built those teams in the 90's. He clearly wasn't paying attention, yet he wants us to believe he was right in the middle of it. Yeah right.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We need to cut Orton. He's taking up a lot of cap space and he's not even good. I know Jerry loves bragging about paying backups a lot of money, but it's not how you do things. You go with young, cheap players with upside. That's how Jimmy built those teams in the 90's. He clearly wasn't paying attention, yet he wants us to believe he was right in the middle of it. Yeah right.

There's no reason to cut orton right now. He doesnt take up that much space and contrary to what you say, he is a solid backup QB. Our current starter is coming off two back surgeries and is definitely not a sure thing to be healthy and be effective going forward.

That said, I could see them maybe letting Orton go before the season starts if Weedon does ok and they draft a guy in a couple weeks to develop as the 3rd guy.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
There's no reason to cut orton right now. He doesnt take up that much space and contrary to what you say, he is a solid backup QB. Our current starter is coming off two back surgeries and is definitely not a sure thing to be healthy and be effective going forward.

That said, I could see them maybe letting Orton go before the season starts if Weedon does ok and they draft a guy in a couple weeks to develop as the 3rd guy.

There's no use in paying someone $3 million to ride the bench unless he's can come in and win games. I don't see that from Orton.

What's the worst that can happen if Romo gets hurt and Weeden comes in and sucks? We get a top 10 pick that we can use on a QB? I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday, amigo.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
There's no use in paying someone $3 million to ride the bench unless he's can come in and win games. I don't see that from Orton.

What's the worst that can happen if Romo gets hurt and Weeden comes in and sucks? We get a top 10 pick that we can use on a QB? I'll take that every day of the week and twice on Sunday, amigo.

Orton nearly beat the Eagles this past yr and we'd have made the playoffs, he played a great game except for one or two throws.

He's a quality backup QB

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Orton nearly beat the Eagles this past yr and we'd have made the playoffs, he played a great game except for one or two throws.

He's a quality backup QB

He has no upside and he's overpaid. And we aren't close to competing for a Super Bowl so I recommend we cut him.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Yeah, to me there are basically two classes of QBs: Ones that can be a franchise QB, and career backups. If a guy can't be a good starter, there's no point in drafting him in the middle rounds at all, even if it's a good "value" for what he's rated.

That's unless you're specifically thinking you can develop and trade him for something. But when have we ever done something like that. Don't think Garrett and Wilson can develop anyone anyway.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

A lot compare him to Nick Foles; the size, the arm, the circuitous route he took in college, one of those teams being Arizona, and the relatively few starts (1 year when Foles had like I think 1.5 years of starting experience).

So a lot of teams may want to copy the Eagles and take him higher than may be warranted.

Reaction score
It would be great to draft him but I doubt we do.

Texans, Jags or Browns will draft him. I hope the Texans do so i can follow them this year since the Cowboys are going to be bad this year. Smith and O’Brien are idiots to pass him up. Will be a huge mistake.

Top Bottom