Reaction score
Dallas looking at Georgia QB Aaron Murray
April, 16, 2014
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

The Dallas Cowboys have three quarterbacks on their roster and expect to keep it that way when the 2014 regular season begins.

However, it doesn’t mean the Cowboys won’t look at some quarterbacks.

Team officials are in Athens, Ga., on Wednesday looking at University of Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray. Among the officials in attendance is Cowboys’ quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson.

Murray
There is no expectation the Cowboys will draft Murray in the later rounds of next month’s draft, but the team is doing its due diligence, much like it did two years ago with Brandon Weeden.

When Weeden was entering the draft from Oklahoma State, Cowboys officials met with him and kept watch from afar. After Weeden was released by the Cleveland Browns this spring, the Cowboys jumped at the chance to sign him because they had done the research necessary to make a move.

With the amount of money invested in starting quarterback Tony Romo and backup Kyle Orton, the team isn't trying to draft a quarterback in the first two rounds. Finding a future replacement for Romo isn't a high priority, but they are looking for a quality young backup. Though Weeden is 30, he has only two years of NFL experience, so that justifies the Cowboys signing him.

Also, the Cowboys are expected to void out the last few years of Orton's contract, making him a free agent after the 2014 season.

Murray is projected as a middle-round draft selection, but ESPN’s Jon Gruden was impressed with him.

Gruden said Murray, who is fully recovered after tearing his ACL in his left knee last November, has deep-ball accuracy, good touch on the ball and will be “the steal for somebody” in the draft. Cowboys' officials aren't in love with Murray's height, 6-1, but they believe he's got a strong enough arm to make the necessary throws in the NFL.

Murray is the all-time leading passer in SEC history and holds the school record with 121 career touchdowns.

The Cowboys haven’t met with any of the top quarterbacks at Valley Ranch during their 30 pre-draft visits. It could be a smoke screen, or the simple fact the team isn’t drafting a quarterback.

Team officials are quite familiar with all the top quarterbacks, and their closer look at Murray might not mean anything now, but could be something for the future.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
Of the second tier qbs Murray and Grappolo are my favorites. I'd almost prefer them over the other qbs not named Manziel.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
no QB this year. Waste. Romo is the QB 2014 2015 and 2016 no matter what. A QB drafted this year would have 1 year left under contract when Romo's deal is finally cap-friendly enough to cut.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I guess he'll play in a motorized scooter in 2016 after his back is completely shot.

:lol I can't believe we gave him that contract. We did the same thing with Aikman.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
no QB this year. Waste. Romo is the QB 2014 2015 and 2016 no matter what. A QB drafted this year would have 1 year left under contract when Romo's deal is finally cap-friendly enough to cut.

I sorta agree.. At the same time I'm worried about Romo's health. This back thing worries me. We need to be more prepared than orton/weeden if Romo were to go down for good. I want someone that was sitting and learning behind him for a year or two anyway. If Murray makes it to the third we need to be all over it. Build the trenches the first 2 rounds then grab our qb in the 3rd. I don't think that's a bad thought process at all.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Not that team does what it should ever, but drafting a 3rd stringer with a 3rd round pick, with all of the holes this team has, seems insane to me.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
In my mind one of those holes is a future starting qb.

Listen I'm all for making a go at it this year but we need to start looking for the guy after Romo.. Whether it's this year or next year. This process needs to start regardless of his contract. I feel if the opportunity is right this year then we need to go for it.

NoDak

UDFA
Reaction score
If Murray makes it to the third we need to be all over it.

While I agree with you that it would be nice to have a developmental QB, there is no way in hell I'd touch Murray in the 3rd. Maybe in the 5th, but I don't even like him much there. I don't think he'll ever be much more than a decent backup/spot starter.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
While I agree with you that it would be nice to have a developmental QB, there is no way in hell I'd touch Murray in the 3rd. Maybe in the 5th, but I don't even like him much there. I don't think he'll ever be much more than a decent backup/spot starter.

I'm somewhat divided on him. I've seen almost all his games and in some ways he really reminds me of Drew Brees when he came out of college. Same basic body build, similar arm strength. Similar accuracy.

But other than a couple of exceptions, when UGA played really good teams he really didn't play great. It was his MO here. Some of it wasn't his fault (dipshit defensive coordinator, dumbass HC) but some of what happened was his fault.

I think 3rd round is about right for him. If he hadn't had the knee injury, he'd probably have gone in the 2nd for sure.

I still like McCarron and Mettenberger more, but I wont slit my wrists if we draft Murray either.

Top Bottom