Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
How many weeks before we hear "we are saving Romo for the playoffs".

LOL

Reaction score
i think its mcfadden too but i think we're going to end up keeping him. i agree he should be traded.

jaylon - was it brandt or broaddus? saying he believes week 13 or 14.

Have there been any reports of his nerve firing again? I haven't heard it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
one bad game from Dak and Tony's back will magically heal overnight

Reaction score
Tell that to the 2015 season where we only won one game with out him. Or any other season where he's missed multiple games.

Until we got Dak we could barely win a single fucking game without Romo so his "availability" has been a major problem

His chronic health issues are a product of his GM ignoring the o line for 6 straight years. O-lines aren't sexy or flashy enough.

Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to have a qb who is a running threat but that certainly doesn't correlate with deep playoff success. Rodgers beat us with his arm and one leg in the playoffs a couple years ago. Manning and Brady might be the slowest athletes of all time.

Romo has all the tools needed to win big except for coaching. You can point out all the cute shiny attributes of Dak but he's limited by the same issue.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Not really sure, but Brandt apparently had dinner with Jaylon Smith a week or two ago and did put it out there afterward that he thought Smith would be returning late in the season.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The more this happens the less likely a Romo is to ever get his starting job back. I have a feeling the front office is going to do this dance till the bitter end when they finally announce Dak as the starter. We will get a new report like this every week now.

Let the Dak era officially begin

Report: Tony Romo may not return for Cowboys in Week 9, either
Patrik Walker - 12 hours ago 2

"The timetable for Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo to return is becoming a bit like hunting the One Ring forged by The Dark Lord Sauron.

When the season began the team opted to not place Romo on injured reserve, no doubt keeping him in a holding pattern should they need to hurry him back to save the season if rookie Dak Prescott didn't play well.

Now that Prescott has helped lead the team to a record of 5-1, Dallas is doing just the opposite and giving Romo as much time as possible to get fully healthy and then some.

The Cowboys are 5-1 after taking care of business against the Packers! Don’t miss any breaking news, take a second to sign up for our FREE Cowboys newsletter!

The franchise QB was targeted to return Week 8 vs. the Eagles, but has yet to return to full practice which saw his timeline reportedly pushed back to Week 9 vs. the Browns. Per CBS Sports analyst Jason La Canfora on Sunday though, it now looks like WEEK 10 VS THE STEELERS is the best case scenario for Romo to again hit the field.

La Canfora states, per sources, the four-time pro bowler may undergo one final MRI this week and would need to await medical clearance before leveling up to a full practice capacity. The report further states the Cowboys have 'no expectation' for Romo to return Week 9.

What remains clear is Romo will return, but just when that will happen is officially now anyone's guess"

This isn't much of a surprise. We knew he wasn't starting against Philly and with him not practicing any this week, it seemed highly unlikely they'd have him then go out and start the next week with only a couple days of live practice after having done nothing for two months. Somebody else had already reported this over the weekend as fyi.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If we considered each of the 32 offenses in the NFL, wouldn't the Cowboys' offense be the single most QB friendly offense in the league? With the running game, the pass protection, the high quality targets in the short passing game (Witten, Beasley), isn't the Dallas offense about as good as it can get for a QB?

I like Dak a lot, but he wouldn't be having this success if he were with the Jets.

Some folks act as if it is agonizingly difficult to choose between Prescott and Romo. But the truth is that either one of them is likely to do very well with this supporting cast. So in that regard, the decision isn't so difficult. Either way, you'll be better than o.k.

So far, it seems that Prescott takes fewer chances with the ball than does Romo, which is the main reason why I lean toward keeping Prescott in the starting role. Romo has the higher upside in the passing game, but I think he's also more likely to commit the ill-timed, soul-crushing turnover.

While most of this sounds logical, remember we did go 1-11 last year with those other QB's. Granted we didn't have Zeke but we had some moderate success running the ball. And we stunk.

Some of it is definitely what you say, but Prescott does deserve some credit for being a good player with a tremendous work ethic.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Or any other season where he's missed multiple games.

Until we got Dak we could barely win a single fucking game without Romo so his "availability" has been a major problem
Romo has missed two full seasons - 32 games - due to injury.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Romo has all the tools needed to win big except for coaching. You can point out all the cute shiny attributes of Dak but he's limited by the same issue.
But somehow, wins. And gets the rest of the roster to play better.
His chronic health issues are a product of his GM ignoring the o line for 6 straight years.
Oh yawn. Here we go again.

Romo breaks because he is a China Doll, just like Bill Parcells predicted.

Reaction score
While most of this sounds logical, remember we did go 1-11 last year with those other QB's. Granted we didn't have Zeke but we had some moderate success running the ball. And we stunk.

Some of it is definitely what you say, but Prescott does deserve some credit for being a good player with a tremendous work ethic.

Certainly Prescott deserves credit. He landed in a great situation with the Cowboys. He went from third-stringer to starter in record time and hasn't missed a beat. He's taking full advantage of his opportunity. Good for him. I'm very happy with him and hope that he remains the starter. He was excellent in college and has only gotten better.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score

There's a thread longer than War and Peace trying to crack the case on Jaylons future and present condition over at CZ,.....funny reading. It cracks me up how much time people will spend arguing over something they have no inside knowledge about and no amount of internet arguing will change this

what will be, will be.....

Last edited:

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to have a qb who is a running threat but that certainly doesn't correlate with deep playoff success. Rodgers beat us with his arm and one leg in the playoffs a couple years ago. Manning and Brady might be the slowest athletes of all time.

You forgot to mention that Russell Wilson who is the most similar to Dak and Cam Newton who is definitely a running QB getting to a SB (with Wilson winning one).

Reaction score
You forgot to mention that Russell Wilson who is the most similar to Dak and Cam Newton who is definitely a running QB getting to a SB (with Wilson winning one).

Didn't Wilson blow a Super Bowl with a pass play though? And I don't think seattle's defense or competent coaching staff are walking through the door here anytime soon.

Either way, the stat comparing rushing TDs just doesn't apply unless you already have an agenda. I'm sure mike vick had tons of rushing TDs.

A statue pocket qb can pick apart any D in the league with a good gameplan. Romo is no statue either.

Top Bottom