Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
That's one of the things that I hate most about Romo. Quite a number of games were lost because of his refusal to run a few yards for the first down, that would have extended the drive; even when he had daylight ahead of him. "Standing tall" in the pocket doesn't mean you have to stand still.

Can you blame him? He turns to dust after every hit.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Can you blame him? He turns to dust after every hit.

And because of that he shouldn't be playing anymore

The only position we wouldn't have to worry about him breaking anything would be QB coach

But even then he might trip on the sidelines and break a hip

Reaction score
It's VERY meaningful, if you're a DC preparing for them. You wouldn't have to sweat Tony running at all, in the red zone. Dak on the other hand....

It works just fine for Brady, Manning and Palmer. Sounds like a head coaching problem.

The mythical success of running QBs (RGIII, Kaep, Vick, etc.) has been debunked over and over again.

Dak is great (right now at least) but Romo was never the problem here.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The actual argument goes back to the comment someone made that if we put Romo back in, we could then "open up the playbook" and my argument was you're actually closing it some, because you can forget anything to do with a QB running such as rollouts, QB draws, read-options, and so on.

In pointing out how many rushing TDs Dak already has (3) compared to Romo's production in this area over his last 113 starts (also 3), bbgun wasn't saying Romo's been the problem. He was merely pointing out a valuable stat.

Romo might not have been "the problem" but he sure wasn't any threat to run the ball into the end zone for a TD. Whereas Dak is.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Romo might not have been "the problem" but Dak appears to be the solution.

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
We have defensive help on the way. I've been wheelin' and dealin'.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

Tell that to the 2015 season where we only won one game with out him. Or any other season where he's missed multiple games.

Until we got Dak we could barely win a single fucking game without Romo so his "availability" has been a major problem

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The more this happens the less likely a Romo is to ever get his starting job back. I have a feeling the front office is going to do this dance till the bitter end when they finally announce Dak as the starter. We will get a new report like this every week now.

Let the Dak era officially begin

Report: Tony Romo may not return for Cowboys in Week 9, either
Patrik Walker - 12 hours ago 2

"The timetable for Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo to return is becoming a bit like hunting the One Ring forged by The Dark Lord Sauron.

When the season began the team opted to not place Romo on injured reserve, no doubt keeping him in a holding pattern should they need to hurry him back to save the season if rookie Dak Prescott didn't play well.

Now that Prescott has helped lead the team to a record of 5-1, Dallas is doing just the opposite and giving Romo as much time as possible to get fully healthy and then some.

The Cowboys are 5-1 after taking care of business against the Packers! Don’t miss any breaking news, take a second to sign up for our FREE Cowboys newsletter!

The franchise QB was targeted to return Week 8 vs. the Eagles, but has yet to return to full practice which saw his timeline reportedly pushed back to Week 9 vs. the Browns. Per CBS Sports analyst Jason La Canfora on Sunday though, it now looks like WEEK 10 VS THE STEELERS is the best case scenario for Romo to again hit the field.

La Canfora states, per sources, the four-time pro bowler may undergo one final MRI this week and would need to await medical clearance before leveling up to a full practice capacity. The report further states the Cowboys have 'no expectation' for Romo to return Week 9.

What remains clear is Romo will return, but just when that will happen is officially now anyone's guess"

Apparently Romo is not scheduled back until the Steelers game now

Woohoo

Reaction score
If we considered each of the 32 offenses in the NFL, wouldn't the Cowboys' offense be the single most QB friendly offense in the league? With the running game, the pass protection, the high quality targets in the short passing game (Witten, Beasley), isn't the Dallas offense about as good as it can get for a QB?

I like Dak a lot, but he wouldn't be having this success if he were with the Jets.

Some folks act as if it is agonizingly difficult to choose between Prescott and Romo. But the truth is that either one of them is likely to do very well with this supporting cast. So in that regard, the decision isn't so difficult. Either way, you'll be better than o.k.

So far, it seems that Prescott takes fewer chances with the ball than does Romo, which is the main reason why I lean toward keeping Prescott in the starting role. Romo has the higher upside in the passing game, but I think he's also more likely to commit the ill-timed, soul-crushing turnover.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If we considered each of the 32 offenses in the NFL, wouldn't the Cowboys' offense be the single most QB friendly offense in the league? With the running game, the pass protection, the high quality targets in the short passing game (Witten, Beasley), isn't the Dallas offense about as good as it can get for a QB?

I like Dak a lot, but he wouldn't be having this success if he were with the Jets.

Some folks act as if it is agonizingly difficult to choose between Prescott and Romo. But the truth is that either one of them is likely to do very well with this supporting cast. So in that regard, the decision isn't so difficult. Either way, you'll be better than o.k.

So far, it seems that Prescott takes fewer chances with the ball than does Romo, which is the main reason why I lean toward keeping Prescott in the starting role. Romo has the higher upside in the passing game, but I think he's also more likely to commit the ill-timed, soul-crushing turnover.

I agree he appears to have a higher upside at the moment. But it comes at the cost of a higher turnover ratio like you mentioned

We are currently winning with Dak and a big part of that is because he is protecting the ball and not turning it over.

So Romo has more upside. So what, a win is a win. His potential upside in the passing game is going to get us more points and still get is a win? To me it's not worth the risk he takes with ball security.

Now if we weren't winning with Dak and needed the extra upside in the passing game that Romo can provide then I'd say make the switch. But for now it's not needed for us to win games.

It's not like we are barely winning these games. The smallest margin has been four points vs the Skins. So the other team would have needed a TD to win the game as opposed to a FG. The Niner game we won by a TD, and the 3 of our five wins have been by 2 TD's (Bears, Packers, Bengals)

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Not really too unreasonable to think that Cleveland or even Pittsburgh might be his first game. He hasn't been cleared to play yet so that means he can't practice either. He hasn't really played since what, last November. It's going to take him about 2 weeks to get ready to play after he's cleared by the doctors.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
let's play who sees playing time first this year:

1. romo

2. mcfadden

3. randy gregory

4. jaylon smith

5. rolando mcclain

let's please not confuse this game with "who do i -even give a shit- if they see playing time first this year" (my personal favorite)

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Smith and Gregory are out this season. Likely forever, so they are out of the question. I believe Romo is going to be on this teeter totter bullshit of being "almost ready" to come back the rest of the season so we stick with Dak.

RoMac will be out of shape when/if he comes back

McFadden says he's ready now so he is my bet to get a snap here and there before we trade him at the deadline

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
And so it begins, the Romo saga takes a new turn

Not really too unreasonable to think that Cleveland or even Pittsburgh might be his first game. He hasn't been cleared to play yet so that means he can't practice either. He hasn't really played since what, last November. It's going to take him about 2 weeks to get ready to play after he's cleared by the doctors.

It's sad but I actually want to see him come back, take one snap and a little hit and get re injured and retire. Nothing serious, nothing that will take a long time to heal from. Just something to let him know without a doubt that his body can no longer play this game so he retires.

That way he can go on his merry way with his cash, have a great life with his family and we can all move on. Maybe he comes back as QB coach. Whatever, I just want to be done with this Romo can still play Bullshit.

Can he still play? Sure his mind is there, his will is there, his desire is there, his Competitiveness is there, but his body can no longer take a simple sack. When he comes back that fact will be proven one way or another. It's just a matter of how many plays he can sneak in before the bone breaking reality brings Romo coaching back to earth. Literally

Romo can retire today and not have to wonder "if" he can still play the game any longer. His medical history has proven that he can not. It's time to accept that fact and move on to the next chapter in his life

Last edited:

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i think its mcfadden too but i think we're going to end up keeping him. i agree he should be traded.

jaylon - was it brandt or broaddus? saying he believes week 13 or 14.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I think the best decision is to stick with Dak. And I think they will play this "he's not quite ready" game with Romo all season. I also believe though that there is going to come a point later in the season that we are going to need Romo. If he's trade (or retires) I hope it's not until the off season. Unless some team gets a wild hair and makes a ridiculous offer for him.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I think the best decision is to stick with Dak. And I think they will play this "he's not quite ready" game with Romo all season. I also believe though that there is going to come a point later in the season that we are going to need Romo. If he's trade (or retires) I hope it's not until the off season. Unless some team gets a wild hair and makes a ridiculous offer for him.

I agree in that we won't see Romo leave until the off season. Be it trade or retirement, my hope is trade so we at least get something for him. Let him get hurt and retire on some other team.

After being "the man" in Dallas for so many years it's got to be a shitty feeling just waiting to be called to Jerry's office for that one last "we've decided to move forward with Dak" meeting

Rynie

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Looks like they're trying to save face like once suggested on here by using the timetable as a reason to keep Dak the starter.

Top Bottom