Reaction score
By Gregg Easterbrook | ESPN.com

Multiple choice question on the entrance examination for Princeton University:

When holding a big lead in the second half, a football team should:

1. Keep the clock moving.
2. Run the ball.
3. Employ clock-management tactics.
4. Pass, pass, pass, pass!

Apparently Dallas Cowboys head coach Jason Garrett, a Princeton grad, chose Answer 4. How else to explain the Boys' epic collapse versus the Green Bay Packers? From the point at which Dallas took a 26-3 lead, the home team executed 23 passing plays and seven rushing plays. The pass plays resulted in eight incompletions, including two interceptions. The turnovers provided the visitors the ball and incompletions stopped the clock, allowing Green Bay time for a comeback that resulted in a lead with 1:31 remaining. Had Dallas simply run up the middle for no gain rather than throwing incompletions, the Cowboys would have prevailed.

The Boys' lack of football IQ was, if anything, even worse than the final fiasco suggests. Taking possession with 4:17 remaining and a five-point lead, Dallas threw incomplete, stopping the clock, then a moment later threw the interception that positioned Green Bay for its go-ahead score. On the day, the Cowboys rushed for 134 yards on 18 carries, a sparkling 7.4-yard per rush average. Adjusting for sacks, the Cowboys had 51 passing plays, for a 6.5-yard average gain per passing down. Though Dallas was getting better yardage on the ground than in the air -- Green Bay has one of the league's lowest-ranked run defenses -- in a clock-killer situation, the Cowboys kept throwing.

"We probably could have run the ball more," Garrett declared after the game. No kidding! The Boys have 21 coaches, and this apparently did not occur to any of them at the time.

Game in and game out, the Dallas Cowboys, led by a Princeton graduate and representing the state that is the center of American football culture, display low football IQ.

Two seasons ago, Dallas led Detroit 27-3 in the second half at home. From that point until the Lions capped their last-second comeback victory, the Boys ran 12 passing plays and 11 rushing plays, resulting in three interceptions, including two returned for touchdowns, and five incompletions that stopped the clock. In that contest, too, had Dallas simply run up the middle for no gain in the second half, the Cowboys would have prevailed.

There's something beyond low football IQ in the latest Cowboys meltdown. Postgame, Garrett noted that in the second half, Green Bay kept one of its safeties near the line of scrimmage, anticipating rush -- why on Earth would the Packers expect that? -- which made passing plays attractive. It's true that only one safety "high" is a look any quarterback would like. But the Cowboys didn't need to make passing plays, they needed to keep the clock ticking!

Garrett is a former college quarterback. Dallas owner Jerry Jones gave Romo the league's largest salary. Jones has invested heavily in receivers, but not in backs. It's as if the Dallas braintrust thinks that only big numbers in the passing game count in modern football.

In their October home loss to the Broncos, the Cowboys took possession with the game tied, 2:39 remaining, holding all their timeouts. High-IQ football would be to work the ball slowly down the field, exhaust the clock and kick the winning field goal with seconds showing. Instead Dallas went sack, interception, watch Broncos win. This may be a pass-wacky era -- the top of the passing stats page is dominated by winning teams while woeful Washington and Buffalo are third and fourth in rushing . But because throwing the ball is the epitome of the modern game isn't a reason to throw away a win -- which the hapless Cowboys just did.

Of course being in the NFC East, they remain very much alive. If the NFL East title comes down to the low-IQ Cowboys at the anything-can-happen Eagles on Dec. 29, one of the wackiest games ever may be in store.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Dallas owner Jerry Jones gave Romo the league's largest salary

I did not know that.

None of this matters anyway. It's the same stupid crap every year from Garrett. If Jones brings him back that will be good reason for me to completely wash my hands of this team and find another hobby.

I might do that anyway. They just aren't worth the time anymore. Everyone just needs to boycott this team permanently.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Don't worry soon you'll hear the injury excuses and it's not his fault so Jerry gives him another year.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
If Garrett returns my first call is to Directv to cancel Sunday Ticket.

Maybe I should tell them now. :errr

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
If nothing else, the Garrett era has demonstrated the power of an Ivy League degree. Apparently it makes people think you're great at everything in life.

Haven't we all known Ivy Leaguers who didn't strike you as particularly brilliant? As if that were all there was to coaching anyway.

Reaction score
If nothing else, the Garrett era has demonstrated the power of an Ivy League degree. Apparently it makes people think you're great at everything in life.

Haven't we all known Ivy Leaguers who didn't strike you as particularly brilliant? As if that were all there was to coaching anyway.
I know a couple of Ivy Leaguers. They are seriously booksmart and intelligent in what they do. Take them outside their comfort zone and they are relatively useless.

Reaction score
This article could have been expanded to include many years of this Garrett mismanagement. It's almost humorous that the current Green Bay team said that the Dallas offense is predictable when it was Dom Capers and Clay Matthews who exposed Jason's unchanging scheme and game philosophy on the 41-7 Wade Philips firing game.

The problem with blaming Callahan and Romo is that the scheme and gameplan are exactly the same as they have been as long as Jason has been without Sparano. Callahan and Romo have only a limited menu to choose from and they follow the menu. Jason said before the Bears game, that you want to pass the ball and if you can't pass, then you do the next best thing, you run. He doesn't have any intention of running the ball and one big problem with successfully running the ball will be that it will expose his playcalling for many years of wasted opportunity. It's really the same concept as Jerry hiring a GM. That person would come in and win, and show how inept Jerry was.

Reaction score

Using the logic of homers, why aren't all sports leagues littered with coaches from the Ivy League?

1) probably bc they blow at the 4 major sports
2) it takes more than being a good test taker to be a great coach

Ginger has a lot of people fooled.

Reaction score
Using the logic of homers, why aren't all sports leagues littered with coaches from the Ivy League?

1) probably bc they blow at the 4 major sports
2) it takes more than being a good test taker to be a great coach

Ginger has a lot of people fooled.
No, just Jerruh, and the idiots in Baltimore who thought about signing him years ago.

JBond

UDFA
Reaction score

I know a couple of Ivy Leaguers. They are seriously booksmart and intelligent in what they do. Take them outside their comfort zone and they are relatively useless.

A college degree is completely overrated. I went back to college a few years ago because I quit back in my twenties due to money and wanted to finish what I started. In the meanwhile I have managed to build a moderately successful business. The kids I interacted with were useless. They only understood what some poorly written, misleading textbook told them to think. Thinking dynamically or independently was nearly impossible for most of them. They were only interested in regurgitating textbook answers.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You forgot stupid players making the same stupid mistakes game in and out, that in itself results in failure. Heck, throw Jerry in the equation too.

I really don't think most of the players are stupid. There's a few exceptions I'm sure, but when you are teaching bad stuff you get bad results. The other issue is on defense, they have far too many street free agent type guys being counted on to be decent. They arnt decent.

Clutch88

Practice Squad
Reaction score
If that play was merely just an incompletion, would it ever have been metioned, or better yet addressed by the coaching staff in a response? NO.
So, with that logic, one has good reason to believe that it isn't the only play changed from RUN to PASS. It's just the one that got intercepted. I laugh, a deep belly laugh, when people act as if the other passes in the 2nd half were called passes. Green Bay, knowing the Cowboys wanted to run (at least a little bit) lined up to stop the run on MOST downs. Stop and THINK about that. So Romo, by the logic on that play that was intercepted, generally would see something he didn't like on MOST DOWNS and check out of it. We saw the result was a safety trying to cover Dez and him wide open on at least a few throws but Tony couldn't hit him. Garrett and Callahan (by his silence, Callahan has refused to speak and if he did, he would prob get fired for calling Tony the biggest idjust he's ever seen) are protecting Tony "OH NO" in telling tell the real truth. He checked out of a crapload of run calls in the second half. look no further than Ben and Skin who interviewed an unnamed Cowboy player in the locker room who said as much. That Romo does what he wants on EVERY DOWN no matter what is called.

Reaction score
Oh yeah. Romo is just some rabid uncontrollable zombie out there.

In reality, there's not a QB in the history of the nfl that has performed consistently well without good head coaching. This is why Romo hasn't really improved much from when Payton and Parcells departed until now. He hasn't had a coach.

Ginger could have easily told him to stop checking out of run plays, but he's a clueless twat.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh yeah. Romo is just some rabid uncontrollable zombie out there.

In reality, there's not a QB in the history of the nfl that has performed consistently well without good head coaching. This is why Romo hasn't really improved much from when Payton and Parcells departed until now. He hasn't had a coach.

Ginger could have easily told him to stop checking out of run plays, but he's a clueless twat.

Eh. We're fortunate he has been as good as he has, but he's never been an elite talent (its why he was undrafted) and will never be a championship QB.

And now we're tattooed to him with an awful contract, and it appears his physical ability is fading fast. You'd be hard pressed to find another teams starter with the kind of rag arm Romo has shown this year. Maybe its the result of the back surgery (whatever it really was) but that's even further indictment of how pathetically fucking stupid Jones is. Don't even make your guy pass a fucking physical before giving him 108 million. Then a few weeks after we hear about back issues.

Top Bottom