Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Pretty sure most people on this site are intelligent enough to derive their own opinions on these matters.

And yes:

owner of NFL's most valuable franchise >> scrub backup TE

...when it comes to news headlines.

thats a dumb stance.

Because talk is talk.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
right.

but why did he do it? to take a shot at the cowboys...

I dunno. Maybe because the Redskins and Eagles don't arrogantly call themselves America's Team. When you do so, you set yourself up for ridicule when things don't work out on the field.

and didnt coughlin do something similar at the 07 one?

I don't recall.

My point is why do the fans here always just accept that its ok from one side to the say something and not ok for the other side.

If we win a superbowl and at the parade Jerry starts making comments about taking a bite out of the big apple, that will be a big deal.

But the Gmen don't boast about being from NY, so the "Big Apple" jibe wouldn't make sense.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
bb you know damn well the americas team thing is all a media story angle.

nobody here cares. the players dont and the fans dont.

the only time it is brought up is when a new player does his first few interviews because guys like jjt and calvin watkins always ask a dumb question like whats it like playing for americas team.......when they dont get what they want they just repeat it....

they did it to vickers the other day....he was like yea its like playing in hollywood.

that is why the same idiots from 103.3 ask the same dumb questions......they want that type of answer so they can run around with it...

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
bb you know damn well the americas team thing is all a media story angle.

nobody here cares. the players dont and the fans dont.

the only time it is brought up is when a new player does his first few interviews because guys like jjt and calvin watkins always ask a dumb question like whats it like playing for americas team.......when they dont get what they want they just repeat it....

they did it to vickers the other day....he was like yea its like playing in hollywood.

that is why the same idiots from 103.3 ask the same dumb questions......they want that type of answer so they can run around with it...

Maybe the players don't care, but the fans and management sure do. Jerry has gone to court to trademark the nickname, and he even sells products bearing that label. And whenever the media tries to dub this or that club as the "new" or "real" America's Team, Dallas fans (see: Zoners) predictably go nuts.

superpunk

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
It's our GD nickname that we didn't even give ourselves.

If we started declaring we were the real cheeseheads I wonder if Packers fans would be upset. duh.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
It's our GD nickname that we didn't even give ourselves.

If we started declaring we were the real cheeseheads I wonder if Packers fans would be upset. duh.

True, but we didn't run away from it, either. Landry always saw it as a burden.

Reaction score
Sometimes it does feel like a burden. Sometimes It feels like our guys are there to put on a show, not to be football players. nowahoo

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I dunno. Maybe because the Redskins and Eagles don't arrogantly call themselves America's Team. When you do so, you set yourself up for ridicule when things don't work out on the field.

Not sure how long you've been a fan, but the America's Team label wasn't started by anybody associated with the Cowboys. The Cowboys were called "America's Team" long before Jones bought the team, in fact, the sihoulette of the man in your sig hated that term. And so waht if Jerry copyrigted or attempt to copyright the nickname---he's a businessman, and that name IS for better or worse associated with the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry OWNS the Cowboys.

Fact is, even with the Giants winning two Super Bowls in 5 years, it burns them up that they still take a backseat to the Cowboys in popularity. If You the NY Giants and you've won another Super Bowl, WHY are you even concerend with the Cowboys? When the Cowboys won their SUper Bowls, did the owners and GM poke fun at any other team? Not to my recollection.

Also, the Redskins have tried to claim the "America's Team' label, and when that didn't work, they came up with a knockoff that had fallen flat: they called themselves for a moment, The Nation's Team.

I don't recall.

But the Gmen don't boast about being from NY, so the "Big Apple" jibe wouldn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sometimes it does feel like a burden. Sometimes It feels like our guys are there to put on a show, not to be football players. nowahoo

I dont understand that. I have only gotten that impression from owens, pacman and bennett. Julius jones had a little of that in him also....

My point on this topic is what it has always been, the talk comes from ny....the ny media ignores that and waits for responses. When the ny media gets something it wants they run with it and it goes national...like the jerry thing.

this offseason alone bradshaw and canty have said the cowboys wont win with romo and taken personal shots, then bennett says he hates the guys here and is going to kick there ass.

I just hate that the story is always nationally sold as Dallas talking when that is not the case....these guys here dont even stand up for themselves.........not that I expect them to go back and forth when the giants are 7-2 against them and 3-0 in the new building but still....

anyway. I wish I had some time to finish the video the way I intended.

when seeing all the comments and at what times and how the story was twisted it is obvious and it should excite our team....instead it always somehow works out where the giants say anything they want and then somehow when the game is upon us they are the ones who have been wronged......its fucking annoying.

I am going to try and find time to make a condensed video, maybe just a quick run through like a moving timeline with clips and graphics and newspaper clippings and stuff.

Last edited:

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Theebs, I hear what you are saying, but for once I really wish that Jerry would shut the fuck up! You're going to talk shit to the Giants with our OLINE?! I'm not worried about the Rest of the Giants' team---I think with our new and hopefully improved secondary, which should help our pass rush, that we do not have a repeat of last year. But I am worried about the Giant's Dline against our Oline.

For a team that heavily depends on Romo, you would fucking think, that they would try and put better group of players to protect Romo. Belicek, the Packers, Steelers, Eagles, etc wouldn't put this shit out front to protect their QBs.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure how long you've been a fan, but the America's Team label wasn't started by anybody associated with the Cowboys. The Cowboys were called "America's Team" long before Jones bought the team, in fact, the sihoulette of the man in your sig hated that term. And so waht if Jerry copyrigted or attempt to copyright the nickname---he's a businessman, and that name IS for better or worse associated with the Dallas Cowboys and Jerry OWNS the Cowboys.

Fact is, even with the Giants winning two Super Bowls in 5 years, it burns them up that they still take a backseat to the Cowboys in popularity. If You the NY Giants and you've won another Super Bowl, WHY are you even concerend with the Cowboys? When the Cowboys won their SUper Bowls, did the owners and GM poke fun at any other team? Not to my recollection.

Also, the Redskins have tried to claim the "America's Team' label, and when that didn't work, they came up with a knockoff that had fallen flat: they called themselves for a moment, The Nation's Team.

Yes, I'm well aware of the genesis of the term. The problem wasn't that NFL Films bestowed it upon us; the problem is that Tex and Jones embraced it and exploited it for marketing reasons. Many people have told Kate Beckinsale that she is beautiful, but she doesn't vainly walk around in a t-shirt that says "I'm beautiful."

By trying to run away from it, don't you still bring attention to it?

No. It just withers on the vine and dies.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Yes, I'm well aware of the genesis of the term. The problem wasn't that NFL Films bestowed it upon us; the problem is that Tex and Jones embraced it and exploited it for marketing reasons. Many people have told Kate Beckinsale that she is beautiful, but she doesn't vainly walk around in a t-shirt that says "I'm beautiful."

Not exactly sure how they have exploited it or even marketed it. As for marketing, that's always been the Dallas Cowboys period, even down to the cheerleaders.

No. It just withers on the vine and dies.

Hardly. Wishful thinking in fact. Look. There's alot of people that hate the Cowboys and the America's Team moniker is probably the least of it. Fact of the matte ris that the Cowboys ARE and WILL always be America's Team. That's not going to wither and die with any amount of running away from it.

Reaction score
Just that everyone is always hyper aware of everything that's said about them and it's more of a performance then a competition.

From the glass wall entrance to the sideline conversations with Jerry. They don't always seem to be locked into ray lewis who's house is this mode .

No one stands up a player and goes for strips on our team the way that Baltimore does.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I don't need media articles to convince me that Jerry is an idiot. Our homers don't seem to get it.

The giants have won two super bowls in the past 4 seasons and had to go through Dallas both times in order to do it. We were their little NFC East bitch during those runs, and Jerry still has found it in him to talk shit. Hell, they just ended our season.

Its 2 in 5 seasons, and I dont care what any of you blowhards say, last year was the biggest fluke season in league history.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Just that everyone is always hyper aware of everything that's said about them and it's more of a performance then a competition.

From the glass wall entrance to the sideline conversations with Jerry. They don't always seem to be locked into ray lewis who's house is this mode .

No one stands up a player and goes for strips on our team the way that Baltimore does.

That is an odd comparison seeing that ray lewis team can't get over the hump either. They allow the steelers to beat them like a rented mule when it matters.

They have had a steady run as a good defense, we have had a steady run of good offense.

Neither has won anything.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

I know you probably know this, but we didnt "arrogantly call themselves America's team"

It was somebody from NFL Films who did that originally, was it not?

I never see anybody associated with the Cowboys pounding their chest over the nickname, though I do see plenty of people in other argnaizations and around the media take pot shots on it.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I know you probably know this, but we didnt "arrogantly call themselves America's team"

It was somebody from NFL Films who did that originally, was it not?

I never see anybody associated with the Cowboys pounding their chest over the nickname, though I do see plenty of people in other argnaizations and around the media take pot shots on it.

Did you read what I wrote above? Ir wasn't our fault that NFL Films paid us that compliment; it was our fault for running with it to sell products and whatnot. You only put a bigger bullseye on your back when you do so. The Cowboys should have laughed at the NFL Films title and left it at that.

Reaction score
That is an odd comparison seeing that ray lewis team can't get over the hump either. They allow the steelers to beat them like a rented mule when it matters.

They have had a steady run as a good defense, we have had a steady run of good offense.

Neither has won anything.

Well shit we got a top 6 qb as an undrafted gift and can't do anything.

They traded up for flaccid. If they had romo they'd have a ring by now

Do you feel the cowboys constantly show toughness or intelligence?

Top Bottom