NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I keep reading shit online that 9ers want Chip Kelly pretty bad. Maybe to save Kap's career.

Not sure how much of that is pure speculation at this point tho.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I keep reading shit online that 9ers want Chip Kelly pretty bad. Maybe to save Kap's career.

He might actually get a bidding war going between the Niners and Titans. Although like you said, I haven't heard anything about Tennessee wanting him. Makes sense, though.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
Mairotta proved he can be successful without him. and no one on that defense wants Kelly there with all the 3 and outs.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
He might actually get a bidding war going between the Niners and Titans. Although like you said, I haven't heard anything about Tennessee wanting him. Makes sense, though.

Shit, maybe even throw the Browns in the mix if they wanted to salvage Johnny Football.

Makes the most sense for the Titans. They have a pretty good defensive staff in place, reunite Chip Kelly with Mariota and that offense might take off.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Multiple reports say its Chip Kelly's people reaching out to the Niners, not vice versa

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Saw Mike Shanahan is getting a 2nd interview with Dolphins. Apparently he met with them a few weeks ago for the first time.

Reaction score
Pagano should never have been on the hot seat. He's a competant coach saddled with a shitty GM and a legit injury excuse.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Wonder if Lovie Smith ends up on staff here. He and Marinelli are extremely close.

I think Smith has intimated in the past that coaching the Cowboys was always his dream HC job. This gets him closer to that. Would make a nice interim HC after Garrett is canned before October next yr.

junk

UDFA
Reaction score
I kind of doubt Lovie comes here but they might raid the TB coaching staff

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
A lot of teams do not tolerate losing. They do not give a fuck about the "scratchin', fightin', and clawin'" if the end result is a losing season.

They do not come off a 4-12 season, talking about how they are close.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
A lot of teams do not tolerate losing. They do not give a fuck about the "scratchin', fightin', and clawin'" if the end result is a losing season.

They do not come off a 4-12 season, talking about how they are close.
I started to make a new thread for this but I'll just put it here... Anyone happen to listen to Intentional Grounding Wednesday nights on the Ticket? (Pep?) I caught it last night and they had a long interview with Steve Jones. I was almost shocked at how much he blamed the injuries 100% for this season. Even when he started to give lip service to "We have to get better regardless of record" blah blah blah, he caught himself and came back to the injuries as an excuse. He even was asked point blank if he thought we should come into next year as the favorite to win this division, and he said if healthy, yes, we're as good or better than anyone in this division.

It was almost like well, see, this all worked out great because now we're picking so high. So next year we'll be as talented as we were in 2014 when we had a great year, plus now we pick fourth in every round.

So all is well. Last year was the "real" Cowboys. This year was just a fluke. Plus we should be even better with all the talent we're going to draft.

A few years ago I thought Steve would be a big improvement over Jerry, but it seems like as time has gone on he's picking up more and more of his dad's undesirable qualities. It was pretty discouraging to me that there was no anger at how this year went, only rose colored glasses.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I guess people forget that the team went into 2014 (the "real" Cowboys) saying they were in rebuilding mode and that they were a few years away. This after cutting DeMarcus Ware and only signing JAG players like Jeremy Mincey and Terrell McClain. This team has no real plan or ability to accurately assess their own roster.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Garret is a snake charmer and snake oil salesman with a silver tongue. He never says the wrong thing in public, he dances around difficult media questions while never really answering the hard questions, and he's an intelligent guy. Just not when it comes to football!

Maybe he really does have the Jones family fooled!!!

That is the only thing that makes any sense. With Jerry being so heavily involved in player acquisition maybe he's shouldering most of the blame himself for the lack of depth at QB and other positions. Therefore he doesn't totally blame Garret for this season and decided to give him another chance.

I'm sure every time Jerry starts muttering about how bad this season was that Garret is whispering in his ear "it was the injuries Jerry, if not for the injuries we could have won it all"

I really can't say why Garret is still here when every other team with a similar record and some with better ones have fired their HC. Then there is the little matter of the $30 mil that is owed to Garret if they get rid of him.

If Jerry always wants at least 51% of the credit when we are successful maybe he is taking 51% of the blame for this season and that is why he is keeping Garret around

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Garret is a snake charmer and snake oil salesman with a silver tongue. He never says the wrong thing in public, he dances around difficult media questions while never really answering the hard questions, and he's an intelligent guy. Just not when it comes to football!

Maybe he really does have the Jones family fooled!!!
I almost posted this same thing to cmd's comment about this team not having the ability to properly assess its talent. I still know Garrett is here mainly because Jerry knows he'll take orders, won't rock the boat, and will be "comfortable with ambiguity."

But listening to Steve last night, I really thought of what Omega has posted about how maybe Jason has completely fooled the Joneses, too. Maybe he's such a smooth talker that he's convinced them none of it was on him and nothing could have been done -- it was all injuries and bad luck. I don't understand that, because to me Garrett has never been persuasive or impressive. But so many people seem to think he is that brilliant and impressive, and maybe the Joneses really are in that group.

Last edited:

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
That's exactly what I'm thinking too.

I know a few people like that. They can sell you anything and talk their way out of everything. That's the type of guy that can punch you in the face then make you believe that it was your fault for making him do it

That's got to be what is going on here

Reaction score
I started to make a new thread for this but I'll just put it here... Anyone happen to listen to Intentional Grounding Wednesday nights on the Ticket? (Pep?) I caught it last night and they had a long interview with Steve Jones. I was almost shocked at how much he blamed the injuries 100% for this season. Even when he started to give lip service to "We have to get better regardless of record" blah blah blah, he caught himself and came back to the injuries as an excuse. He even was asked point blank if he thought we should come into next year as the favorite to win this division, and he said if healthy, yes, we're as good or better than anyone in this division.
I don't usually catch the Ticket after I get home. When I heard they were having Steven on, I almost streamed it on my laptop, but I figured this is what he would be saying.

Top Bottom