sbk92

Reaction score
Romo wasn't ready to sling the ball around. That's why he dropped that FG snap. He was playing scared. He didn't even have a full season of starts and there he was playing a postseason game up in Seattle in maybe the most hostile crowd in the league.

The situation was too big for him at the time. An aggressive gameplan would have led to a mistake prone debacle. The great Bill Parcells recognized this and played it conservative. An approach that would have led to a win but the same wide eyed player everybody wanted to rely on to carry us on offense couldn't even settle down enough to field a routine FG snap.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Romo wasn't ready to sling the ball around. That's why he dropped that FG snap. He was playing scared. He didn't even have a full season of starts and there he was playing a postseason game up in Seattle in maybe the most hostile crowd in the league.

The situation was too big for him at the time. An aggressive gameplan would have led to a mistake prone debacle. The great Bill Parcells recognized this and played it conservative. An approach that would have led to a win but the same wide eyed player everybody wanted to rely on to carry us on offense couldn't even settle down enough to field a routine FG snap.

Thats ridiculous. He'd been tearing it up and was playign so well he made the probowl.

Parcells coached scared that game, and because of it we got beat. Seattle had street free agents all over their secondary, we had two veteran 1000 yd WR's and the best TE in football, and yet throwing the ball downfield was an afterthought. As great a game plans as Parcells came up with in 1990 to beat SF and Buffalo, this was the polar opposite. It was monumentally stupid.

As for dropping the ball, Romo dropped it because it was incredibly slick, not because he was nervous or had the yips.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
That's nonsense that Parcells wouldn't have won. He should have won a playoff game the year before but his deer in the headlights green starting QB couldn't field a routine FG snap.

There is no situation in football where Wade Phillips can get a win that Parcells can't. Idiotic, bullshat, fanatic garbage. If anybody tells you that, you know that fan is a moron never worth listening to.

Wade won two division titles in 3 yrs, and did in a playoff game. Parcells ddint win anything, and was the major reason we lost that Seattle playoff game. I think almost any coach could have won that game and probably won it rather easily, but Parcells wanted to coach the game like he was in 1990 again, and we got beat by an inferior team playing with street scrubs in their secondary. And that same team got drubbed a week later by Rex Grossman.

Parcells was a great coach with the Giants, after that he was more hype than anything else.

Reaction score
Thats ridiculous. He'd been tearing it up and was playign so well he made the probowl.

Parcells coached scared that game, and because of it we got beat. Seattle had street free agents all over their secondary, we had two veteran 1000 yd WR's and the best TE in football, and yet throwing the ball downfield was an afterthought. As great a game plans as Parcells came up with in 1990 to beat SF and Buffalo, this was the polar opposite. It was monumentally stupid.

As for dropping the ball, Romo dropped it because it was incredibly slick, no because he was nervous or had the yips.

Spot on.

Reaction score
Great players are great players, but football is about so much more than talent, IMO.

You know, i just noticed this Sheik, but i completely agree with this, and you really just made my argument for me.

TO is a great player, no doubt. But at the end of the day, the positive impact he has on any of the teams he's played on has been minimal at best due to his character and his behavior. Football is about much more than talent, and that's why a talented guy like him has trouble even finding a team to take him. No one wants to deal with him.. as super talented as he is because he's just too much of a head case. There's a reason he's caused a problem everywhere he's been, and its not just everybody else in the locker room that is the problem.. its clearly him. I'd take the good player who contributes to good locker room chemistry over the great player who breaks it up anyday.

Reaction score
I don't think it's a coincidence that pretty much every QB that Owens has played with has put up the best numbers of their careers while playing with Owens.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
You know, i just noticed this Sheik, but i completely agree with this, and you really just made my argument for me.

TO is a great player, no doubt. But at the end of the day, the positive impact he has on any of the teams he's played on has been minimal at best due to his character and his behavior. Football is about much more than talent, and that's why a talented guy like him has trouble even finding a team to take him. No one wants to deal with him.. as super talented as he is because he's just too much of a head case. There's a reason he's caused a problem everywhere he's been, and its not just everybody else in the locker room that is the problem.. its clearly him. I'd take the good player who contributes to good locker room chemistry over the great player who breaks it up anyday.

It's fine that we disagree, I can handle a different take, but when I made that comment, it had nothing to do with TO. I can see how it fits with him.

I was talking more along the lines of how luck and situation is just as important as talent in most cases.

You can have the best QB in the league, if he's in the wrong place, you may never see his true potential.

I really think Romo was a very talented raw athlete in the right place at the right time. He had a chance to sit and watch QBs in front of him that had success at one point in their careers. He had a HOF coach to bring him along at his own pace. When he finally got his shot, He had a top 5 WR in the game to lean on.

I don't discount his talent, I do realize what he had to work with, though.

I don't think his chances would be very high if he was, I don't know, thrown into the lineup with an over the hill 2nd rate #1 WR, a #3 disguised as #2 and a fringe WR in the slot.

Try as you may, you'll never convince me that TO did not play a huge role in helping Romo settle in and getting him to the "next level".

Reaction score
So Sheik thinks Owens is solely responsible for developing Romo.

Great.

Now I've heard it all.

CowboysRMX

In the Rotation
Reaction score
Owens was the vital part that opened the offense. Before he came to Dallas it was horrible, period. Without Owens i think this team wouldve never opened up the offense. Not because they didnt want to. But because they wouldnt have had the guy to open up the field for players like Witten and Glenn. I dont know about Owens taking the team to the next level, but he was a main reason the teams offense went to a new level.

sbk92

Reaction score
I agree that it helps to add a talent like Owens.

But I think it went from a big help to Romo to a hindrance pretty quickly.

It's not an accident that the team flourished in 2009 when Romo was free to operate his offense without a selfish lunatic in the huddle.

Reaction score
I agree that it helps to add a talent like Owens.

But I think it went from a big help to Romo to a hindrance pretty quickly.

It's not an accident that the team flourished in 2009 when Romo was free to operate his offense without a selfish lunatic in the huddle.

We agree on something.. uh oh.

Plymkr

Reaction score

Laughable.

It shouldnt of even came down to a ****ing FG. If the pussy Parcells would of brought his sack with him that game and went after a COMPLETELY Depleted Seattle secondary, instead of taking the pussy way of coaching, as usual. Dallas wins that game. But, no, the messiah parcells in all his "wisdom", did a shitty job of planning and coaching that damn game. It was a joke.

Top Bottom