Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
We tried putting together the most talented team and ignoring character issues too. Tank Johnson, Pac Man, etc..

Cincy tried it as well.. Chad Johnson, TO, Tank, Pac Man.. all very talented athletes. How'd it work out?

I don't think that franchise is a measuring stick for success.

Besides that, Chad Johnson and TO are both nearing the end, I wouldn't take a chance on a player that is both old and stupid. They have to have an upside that justifies the risk.

TO was still a big time WR when he signed in Dallas, Pacman had that upside if kept his nose clean.

Tank Johnson wasn't the kind of talent that you take that risk on in my opinion.

If you tell me I can have a player that has produced on the field, he's on the right side of 30 and he comes cheap. I take that risk all day long.

If one player is going to come in and ruin a locker room, you don't have a locker room worth worrying about in the first place.

sbk92

Reaction score
If one player is going to come in and ruin a locker room, you don't have a locker room worth worrying about in the first place.

There's a lot of truth in that.

Randy Moss came to New England with the team killer tag. He flourished there for a few seasons because of the structure they had in place and the key veteran leadership in the locker room.

And of course winning. That's a cure all.

Reaction score
TO was still a big time WR when he signed in Dallas, Pacman had that upside if kept his nose clean.

Tank Johnson wasn't the kind of talent that you take that risk on in my opinion.

If you tell me I can have a player that has produced on the field, he's on the right side of 30 and he comes cheap. I take that risk all day long.

Ok.. how'd it work out for us then when we had TO and Pac?

Did it take us to the next level? Or were we dealing with BS and drama all season long?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Ok.. how'd it work out for us then when we had TO and Pac?

Did it take us to the next level? Or were we dealing with BS and drama all season long?

TO was fine until Jerry hired a puppet that couldn't keep his players in line. The worst thing TO did here while Parcells was around was accidently almost die.

Pacman? He was a risk worth taking that didn't pay off. Didn't set the team back in any way shape or form. We moved on rather quickly.

Both players were worth the initial risk, knowing what I know now, I still sign TO back then, let McBriar hold on that PAT and see what happens over the next 3-4 weeks.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
TO was fine until Jerry hired a puppet that couldn't keep his players in line. The worst thing TO did here while Parcells was around was accidently almost die.
Pacman? He was a risk worth taking that didn't pay off. Didn't set the team back in any way shape or form. We moved on rather quickly.

Both players were worth the initial risk, knowing what I know now, I still sign TO back then, let McBriar hold on that PAT and see what happens over the next 3-4 weeks.

The part about Witten and Romo drawing plays in the sand wasn't bad?

Reaction score

Again.. so did they take us to the next level or did we spend entire seasons putting up with their BS and drama?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
Again.. so did they take us to the next level or did we spend entire seasons putting up with their BS and drama?

I don't get your point, honestly. I think we were better with Owens than without him up until his last year with the team. Did he take us to the next level? Define next level. If next level means super bowl to you, then obviously not.

I think TO played at a high enough(drama free) level to help win a championship in Dallas. He obviously turned for the worst when the writing was on the wall, probably around the time that the Roy Williams trade went down. But to say that he was a problem for his entire stay in Dallas. . .I would disagree. I think a lot of fans were waiting for the drama to unfold from the minute he signed. They waited for a few years, when it happened, they were happy to say I told you so.

It did take years before it went down, it also came after a few highly productive years where he was playing at a high level, well enough to help a team reach the ultimate goal.

I think Owens made the offense a lot better and wasn't a problem until Jerry relapsed with his philosophy and hired a "players coach". To use his wording, nobody was walking on egg shells with Wade around. Most of all, TO.

Pacman was a risk worth taking that didn't work, I've said that already. He didn't set the team back, he was let go when it was evident that it wasn't going to work.

That's what low risk high reward means. You can't lose with those types of deals, imo. You either hit the jackpot or cut your minimal losses.

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
TO took the offense to a whole new level.

If you watch ESPN and constantly worry about what this writer or that writer is saying about TO, then yeah, you put up with some drama and BS. If you focused on what was actually happening year 1 and 2, then you witnessed a WR that was one of the best at his position and a WR that was making his offensive unit better than it had been in years.

For all the crap that TO has gotten over the years, he's probably one of the better off the field players that have been in the league over the last 15 years.

Michael Irvin was more of a problem for the Cowboys than TO ever thought of being.

Cythim

Reaction score
We went from 9-7 and missing the playoffs in 2005 to back-to-back playoff appearances and a division title with Owens in 2006 and 2007. But we didn't go to the next level with TO...

Reaction score
We went from 9-7 and missing the playoffs in 2005 to back-to-back playoff appearances and a division title with Owens in 2006 and 2007. But we didn't go to the next level with TO...

That's probably because we weren't handicapped by a head coach glued to 1980's philosophies.

Reaction score

What was our record the first year with TO?

Cythim

Reaction score
What was our record the first year with TO?

Why do you want to try and nit-pick between records? We went from 8th in the NFC to 5th in the NFC. We went from out of the playoffs to into the playoffs when T.O. joined the team. He came in, replaced another knuckle head in Keshawn Johnson, and helped us go from 16th in the league in passing to 6th in the league. He wasn't a risk and never become a distraction until dumbasses like you started listening to rumors being created by Ed Werder.

Reaction score
Why do you want to try and nit-pick between records? We went from 8th in the NFC to 5th in the NFC. We went from out of the playoffs to into the playoffs when T.O. joined the team. He came in, replaced another knuckle head in Keshawn Johnson, and helped us go from 16th in the league in passing to 6th in the league. He wasn't a risk and never become a distraction until dumbasses like you started listening to rumors being created by Ed Werder.

lol

Because you said he helped take us to the next level, yet our record was the same in 2005 as it was his first year here. We didn't win even one more game. Just because other teams in the conference sucked more than the year before doesn't mean we improved as a team.

You also act like the only reason for our improvement was TO. Couldn't have had anything to do with replacing Drew Bledsoe with Tony Romo, or D Ware breaking out, or Barber and the running game excelling, or Crayton developing into Tony's safety valve, or Witten having a 96 catch 1100 plus yard season, right?

No it was clearly all TO.. dumbass.

Also, fans don't have any effect on what's going on in the locker room. If TO wasn't causing any problems, everybody would have been happy in the organization and there wouldn't have been issues. He's caused problems everywhere he's been. I was one that was happy to take a chance on him initially because i figured he would have grown up a little. But whenever we lost, in came the bitching and bullshit about how he didn't get his way, or Tony favored his little buddy more, etc etc..

Last edited:

Cythim

Reaction score
Hey, going from 8th to 5th to 1st in the NFC with TO on board is not going to the next level. Check.

Reaction score
Hey, going from 8th to 5th to 1st in the NFC with TO on board is not going to the next level. Check.

Again.. adding TO and not winning even one more game the next season is not going to the next level. Correct.

Cythim

Reaction score
Again.. adding TO and not winning even one more game the next season is not going to the next level. Correct.

Number of wins is arbitrary in this discussion. We went from playing the NFC and AFC West teams in 2005 to playing the NFC and AFC South in 2006. We went from losing to St Louis, Seattle, and Oakland to beating Indy, Atlanta, Carolina and Tennessee. Don't pretend we didn't improve between the 2005 and 2006 season just because you can't see it in the record. Our schedule strength increased between the two seasons and the team played better with TO than they did the previous season with Keyshawn.

Top Bottom