Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman recently joined Mike Fisher and Nathan Wood on KRLD-FM to talk about the team. Here are some highlights.

On if the Cowboys should think about bringing in Norv Turner as their offensive coordinator:

“I don’t think there’s anybody better than Norv Turner because I know what he meant to my career and I’ve seen what he’s done elsewhere with far lesser talent. But I don’t think it’s quite as simple as what some might think even though he and Jason (Garrett) are close. The reason I say that is the Cowboys had an opportunity to hire Norv as head coach before they hired Wade Phillips (in 2007), and at the 11th hour they decided to hire Wade. I’m not speaking for Norv because we’ve had no conversations as it relates to this,’’ Aikman continued. “But if it were me and that had happened to me, I’d say ‘Hey, I’m not real sure that I want to come be a part of this now.’”

“Even though I think Norv would do everything that he could to help Jason and his situation. I don’t think it’s as big of a slam dunk as some may think.’’

On if Jerry Jones should give Jason Garrett more authority to pick his coordinators:

“Are you saying that’s not the way it’s been? (joking). I’ve owned businesses and I’ve been in the position of ownership to hire people to do jobs. When I was in the car business, the first GM I had I wasn’t real crazy about and I replaced him. Then I hired another GM who I held responsible for making the dealership profitable and bringing in the right salesmen and the right staff and mechanics and everything else we needed. I think you have to empower those people. That’s why you hire them. I’ve never quite understood whatever the situation is or has been in Dallas or elsewhere. But if you hire a head coach and don’t allow him to hire his staff, I think that’s problematic.’’

On Jerry Jones' history of pairing existing staffers with new head coaches:

“I felt that (was problematic) when I was playing,’’ Aikman said, “even as much as I liked a number of our assistant coaches who were with me while I was playing for the Cowboys. We replaced head coaches but the assistants never left. A number of those guys stayed, and I never agreed with it then. You don’t empower a head coach if you don’t allow him to hire his staff and allow him to really hold the players accountable. I think within every organization that I’ve seen as a broadcaster that has been successful, or those teams I was a part of that were successful, that’s the way it was operated. The head coach is the voice of the franchise, the voice of the football team, and coaches and players are accountable to him — and when that chain of command (isn’t followed), then in my opinion it’s very difficult to overcome those things.’’

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nahhhhhhh. What does this Troy Aikman character know.

Jerry got this.

Reaction score
Why would any top assistant come and drown in such a volatile situation under a lame duck puppet HC? Chances are strong that the entire staff gets canned in 12 months. I'd stay the fuck away and let things play out. The schedule next year is brutal. Not even Ginger is gonna be able to continue to suck enough dick at VR to keep his job.

4 wasted years under this clown. SMH.

VTA

UDFA
Reaction score
Why would any top assistant come and drown in such a volatile situation under a lame duck puppet HC? Chances are strong that the entire staff gets canned in 12 months. I'd stay the fuck away and let things play out. The schedule next year is brutal. Not even Ginger is gonna be able to continue to suck enough dick at VR to keep his job.

4 wasted years under this clown. SMH.

:lol

Norv's offense seems to be the exact opposite of Jerry/Ginger's philosophy of pass-happy-run-begrudging football any way.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
The Chargers move on from Norv, and in their first year of doing so... wait for it... they have a winning season. AND make the playoffs. AND WIN A PLAYOFF GAME.

Norv was just canned by the Browns. If you are going to bring Norv in, you might as well can Garret.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
The Chargers move on from Norv, and in their first year of doing so... wait for it... they have a winning season. AND make the playoffs. AND WIN A PLAYOFF GAME.

Norv was just canned by the Browns. If you are going to bring Norv in, you might as well can Garret.

Norv got the Chargers to the playoffs a few times, including close to a super bowl. They probably would have beaten New England in 2007 if not for the injury situation they had (think thats the game Rivers played with torn ligaments)

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Norv has never done a thing as a head coach. He needs to get over us choosing Wade and be our OC.

Reaction score
“Even though I think Norv would do everything that he could to help Jason and his situation. I don’t think it’s as big of a slam dunk as some may think.’’

Because the league has moved on without Norv's scheme. Watch how much pre-snap movement that the playoff teams do on offense. Some do play action, option looks on the majority of their offensive plays. Norv and Jason's playbooks includes such tactics and deceptions such as standing still, 2TEs, periodically running the ball, and when there is an obvious passing down and pass formation, they call a pass. Whew. Masters of Puppets.

LAZARUS_LOGAN

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Because the league has moved on without Norv's scheme. Watch how much pre-snap movement that the playoff teams do on offense. Some do play action, option looks on the majority of their offensive plays. Norv and Jason's playbooks includes such tactics and deceptions such as standing still, 2TEs, periodically running the ball, and when there is an obvious passing down and pass formation, they call a pass. Whew. Masters of Puppets.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result: the Cowboys' way.

Reaction score
Norv got the Chargers to the playoffs a few times, including close to a super bowl. They probably would have beaten New England in 2007 if not for the injury situation they had (think thats the game Rivers played with torn ligaments)

If you're seriously defending Norv as an HC, then you are a bigger idiot than you were prior to this thread. That is quite a feat.

Even raider and skins fans (aka the largest collective groups of morons on both coasts) can attest to Norv's shittiness as coach.

The most damning piece of evidence against Norv is that Jerry was seriously going to hire him over Wade and it takes an immeasurable amount of ****** to qualify for Jerry's final list of HC candidates in any "I don't need a new stadium" situation.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not defending anything, just stating a fact. He did indeed coach the Chargers to the playoffs and won games. Marty Schottenheimer never did shit in the postseason there. Jason Garrett hasn't done shit here.

I don't want Norv as a HC, although hindsight being 20/20 I wish Jones had hired him instead of wade in 2007.

Open your fucking eyes and read what I was replying to.

Reaction score
I'm not defending anything, just stating a fact. He did indeed coach the Chargers to the playoffs and won games. Marty Schottenheimer never did shit in the postseason there. Jason Garrett hasn't done shit here.

I don't want Norv as a HC, although hindsight being 20/20 I wish Jones had hired him instead of wade in 2007.

Open your fucking eyes and read what I was replying to.

You're crediting Norv for something that occurred inspite of him and certainly not because of him. There's about 10+ years of evidence to prove any success there was an anomaly for him as HC. That's like crediting Switzer for the Super Bowl here or saying that Garrett is the reason this team has won 8 games the last couple years. Norv is a shitty HC. One of the worst I've seen hold a job for longer than 3 years.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
You're crediting Norv for something that occurred inspite of him and certainly not because of him. There's about 10+ years of evidence to prove any success there was an anomaly for him as HC. That's like crediting Switzer for the Super Bowl here or saying that Garrett is the reason this team has won 8 games the last couple years. Norv is a shitty HC. One of the worst I've seen hold a job for longer than 3 years.

Meh. Norv is a better coach than Switzer and we'd have been far better off in 1994 had we had the chance to name Norv HC instead of the boob Switzer then. Unfortunately Norv jumped at the Washington job, obviously not knowing the idiot move Jones would pull a couple months later.

Reaction score
Meh. Norv is a better coach than Switzer and we'd have been far better off in 1994 had we had the chance to name Norv HC instead of the boob Switzer then. Unfortunately Norv jumped at the Washington job, obviously not knowing the idiot move Jones would pull a couple months later.

Hmm. What exactly has Norv done as an HC besides sink 3 different franchises that gives you such confidence in him? 1993 was great but he's not the same coach even as an OC anymore.

Top Bottom