Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score

fuck. hard to close the gap with Philly and SF when things like this happen.

We also lost rookie John Stephens Jr to a torn ACL. He’s gone for the season as well.

Not that he’s a big loss, but Overshown looked like he was going to have a big impact on our defense this season.

I hate losing our guys to these damn preseason games.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Well it looks like Overshown’s injury last night is a torn ACL and he will be lost for the season.

That really sucks! He was looking like he would be a big part of this defense. Hate to see this happen to him.
It's a shame. Kid's a gamer, he's going to be a major part of this team when he's back and healthy.

icup

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LVE, clark, cox, and now overshown have all had major issues with injuries in the last few years... not great

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't watched the entire game yet but I watched the first half live and then the first offensive and defensive series of the 2nd half.

1) I read through RetardZone and you'd think by the comments there that somehow we lost the game 55-0 and we have no hope for the season, even though no starters played again and our backup defense for the 2nd straight week actually fared pretty well against another teams starters. Our 2nd team offense (which was our starting unit) moved the ball well against mostly Seattle starting defenders too, and scored a TD on a 17 play drive. The collective intelligence of RetardZone is very comparable to voters in AOC's home district. They have to be the fucking dumbest of the dumb.

2) The only thing that happened in this game that matters is losing Overshown to the ACL tear. This really sux because this kid was arguably one of the best players on the field for training camp and looked outstanding in both preseason games. I think he was going to have a role on the field this yr so losing him is a blow. Hopefully he can rehab and be 100% by the time camp opens next yr. We also lost backup TE John Stephens (who had been impressive) to a torn ACL and backup OT Matt Waletzko injured his shoulder early and never returned to the game.

3) Jalen Tolbert is looking really good. Another Zonertard whipping boy that they said had no chance, and he is a completely different player in year two. Also looks noticeably bigger/stronger to me. This kid is going to be a very good player for us down the road.

4) Luke Schoonmaker is coming along nicely. Had a couple nice catches and at least 2 more good blocks that I saw. I think he'll overtake Hendershot fairly quick now that he is healthy and will form a pretty formidable 1-2 TE combo with Ferguson.

5) The PK Aubrey is very quietly showing up quite nice. He didnt get any FG attempts this week (although he reportedly nailed a few 50+ yd FG's in warmups) but he nailed both PAT's and after having all touchbacks on kickoffs last week, had only one kickoff returned this week. His only hiccup was the one missed PAT last week, which as noted by many probably wasn't his fault. (snap/hold was shaky)

6) Sam Williams is going to be very good, like maybe 8-10 sacks good assuming he stays healthy.

7) I saw Deuce Vaughn's TD and it was impressive, but the box score shows he didnt gain any other yards on his next 4 carries. Though I haven't watched it all yet, commentary says the backup OL failed miserably in the 2nd half. Overall Seattle had 4 sacks and 8 tackles for loss, so I think its safe to say we'll be seeing one or two veteran OL added before week one or perhaps right after the season opener (when veteran contracts are no longer guaranteed). Back to Vaughn, I'd roll with him as the #2 guy and not think twice. His pure running and receiving talent are too good to be buried on the depth chart as a rarely used #3 guy.

8) Rico Dowdle looked good at RB and didnt fumble this week, although I saw from postgame comments that he apparently blew an assignment on punt protection that led to a blocked punt. If true, that's two very negative plays in two games.

9) Juanyeh Thomas is probably making the team and Kelvin Joseph had a nice game from what I have viewed so far.

10) The "other" Fehoko made his debut after missing a lot of time in camp with an injury, and he definitely showed out on a few plays. Was only credited with one tackle but I saw him in the backfield on several plays. He's a 4th rd pick so you'd think he'd be safe, but we are really deep on the DL. He might need a pretty solid showing vs Oakland to ensure he makes the team.

theoneandonly

Quality Starter
Reaction score
LVE, clark, cox, and now overshown have all had major issues with injuries in the last few years... not great
The biggest problem I have with pre season FB besides most of it is unwatchanle. is that it is merely an owners skim. Home team owner gets to keep the gate. Basically we are stuck with it just because.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not ready to throw in the towel on Mazi but jeez he has a long way to go.
He'll be fine. Not sure what exactly people were expecting. He's a space eating run stopper. They thought he had upside as a pass rusher but he will need time in that department.

I haven't seen anything alarming from him in either of these two games. He's certainly kept people off the LB's and those guys are all over the place making plays, and that was his number one job.

He'll split time with Hankins this yr and I could see some obvious short yardage/run downs where both he and Hankins are on the field together. The days of us being a sieve up the middle are probably through.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
Worshton lookin like, gonna be more of a problem this year than in years recently passed.

Maveric

Quality Starter
Reaction score
The Commanders just ended Baltimore's 24 game preseason winning streak 29-28.

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
The Commanders just ended Baltimore's 24 game preseason winning streak 29-28.
They gone be a bigger problem than they've been. Their young QB1 is undefeated against us. 1-0

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Worshton lookin like, gonna be more of a problem this year than in years recently passed.
No, they won't.

They'll be the usual circus and finish 5-12. Rivera will be shitcanned in mid to late December.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Not really sure what you saw to make you think this.

Washington played their starters a ton on offense (vs the Baltimore backups and waiver wire guys) and were still barely winning the game at halftime

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
No, they won't.

They'll be the usual circus and finish 5-12. Rivera will be shitcanned in mid to late December.
Not really sure what you saw to make you think this.

Washington played their starters a ton on offense (vs the Baltimore backups and waiver wire guys) and were still barely winning the game at halftime
I smell trouble with them, s0n. You hide and watch.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Hopefully we get to see a good dose of Hunter Luepke tonight

I really want this kid to make the team and I want us to have a legit fullback

Unfortunately this kid hasn’t shined like I had hoped he would in the preseason.

Tonight is his last chance to secure himself a practice squad spot

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Final preseason game. Definitely more good than bad and our primary backups do look really good. While I would not go where Stevie Boy did with the "best depth in our history" comment, it's pretty clear that other than the 92-93 Cowboys this team does have a bunch of quality talent behind the starters. Some tough cuts/decisions are definitely going to be made.

1) Will Grier took advantage of his golden opportunity and likely sewed up a job somewhere as a teams 3rd QB. Played well and had a great night (would have been even better too if he hadn't missed the gimmee 50 yd TD early in game) but he did a nice job. Only other bad play he really had was missing a shotgun snap for a big loss. But kudos to him for excellent game.

2) Hunter Luepke coming out party last night. Did it all, running hard, showing great hands on receiving and throwing a couple bigtime blocks on blitz pickups. I would think he made the team and if we try to stash him on PS, he either won't make it through waivers or someone will sign him off PS at some point in coming weeks.

3) Thought Mazi had a solid game. Blew up two guys on one play I saw and also had a couple of decent QB pressures. When he was in the game the Raiders had almost no success running. After he came out the Raiders had a few creases.

4) Asim Richards and TJ Bass definitely have some upside as backup OL. Josh Ball actually started at RT but got hurt on the first series and never returned. Waletzko came in and played a lot of the game at RT and seemed to fare pretty well too.

5) I think the rookie kicker made the team last night. Made one from 59 and just missed another from 59. Boomed every kickoff out of endzone and drilled all his PAT's. He might have a short leash if he misses any easy kicks early in season, but he looks pretty solid right now and potentially could be our PK solutions for several years.

6) Sam Williams. Just hope this guy doesn't knucklehead himself out of football, because he looks like he might be a dominant player if he stays on the field. He didnt play much last night but had several good pressures, he also shows up v the run. We'll have to see what the league does to him over this THC/gun thing although Jerruh has said from what he is being told that Williams won't be suspended. If he wasnt in the league's drug program already then he might skate by this time, but he obviously can't keep putting himself in these positions.

7) Hats off to Prescott, who called all the offensive plays last night and really called a nice game. They scored 31 pts (and barely missed having 41) Balanced playcalling, 35 rushes, 35 passes and had a nice game plan for Grier. Also made sure Grier got the game ball afterward.

8) This Tyron Billy Johnson kid at WR is interesting. Won't make the team but could be nice PS candidate, he ran several excellent routes and had a big night receiving. Had his guy beaten badly for gimmee long TD that Grier overthrew but still ended with 5 catches for 90 yds.

9) Dont think, Bohanna or Jabril Cox is making the team. Also don't think either Fehoko makes it (and we used a 4th rounder on the DL Fehoko, decision for him might come down to him and Golston) and seems unlikely Gallimore will make the cut. Gehlken also thinks Kelvin Joseph is gone and said the Cowboys may try to trade both Cox and Joseph. Gallimore might be another that could fetch a late pick.

10) Still think we make maybe one or two roster moves after cutdowns, whether its claiming someone or trading for something.

Last edited:

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hopefully we get to see a good dose of Hunter Luepke tonight

I really want this kid to make the team and I want us to have a legit fullback

Unfortunately this kid hasn’t shined like I had hoped he would in the preseason.

Tonight is his last chance to secure himself a practice squad spot
Ask and ye shall receive.

15 carries, 58 yds, 5 receptions for 60 yds and a TD (couple really excellent catches and some RAC) and a couple outstanding blocks in blitz protection.

Top Bottom