dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
2016 NFL Draft: Derrick Henry and seven other pro day winners

By Dane Brugler | NFLDraftScout.com Senior Analyst

April 8, 2016 10:57 am ET

Once the combine concludes at the end of February, the NFL calendar transitions to the pro day season as scouts, coaches and other team representatives travel all over the country to work out thousands of NFL hopefuls. And now that March and the pro day circuit is complete, the NFL Draft is only a few weeks away.

Looking back, several players boosted their NFL profiles and helped themselves in the eyes of NFL scouts at pro day workouts, including these notable prospects:

Derrick Henry, RB, Alabama (6-3, 247)

In his Heisman season, Alabama running back Derrick Henry touched the ball 406 times on offense, but that includes only 11 catches as he didn't receive the opportunity to show his receiving skills last season. However, that wasn't the case at the Crimson Tide pro day as he ran routes, caught the ball smoothly and even lined up out wide as a wide receiver. Henry rested on his numbers from the combine, including a 4.54 40-yard dash, but his performance as a pass-catcher during his pro day workout helped his draft stock.

Tra Carson, RB, Texas A&M (5-11, 227)

Dealing with a right toe injury most of his senior season, Carson had surgery and was unable to be a full participant at the NFL combine. He was a full participant at the Aggies' pro day this past week and turned some heads with a 4.54 40-yard dash, 37-inch vertical and 7.10 three-cone. Carson has the size of a power back, but his film (and his testing numbers) shows he has the agility to be more than that.

Keenan Reynolds, RB/WR, Navy (5-10, 191)

One of the most productive players in college football history, Reynolds holds the FBS records for touchdowns from scrimmage (88) and rushing yards by a quarterback (4,559). He was the point guard of the Navy option attack, but he will need to switch positions for the NFL and performed well at his workout both as a rusher and receiver. He posted respectable numbers in the 40-yard dash (4.56), vertical (37.5 inches) and broad jump (10 feet) and did a nice job with his route-running from the backfield and in the slot. Reynolds has sterling intangibles and his workout might get him drafted in the later rounds.

Hunter Henry, TE, Arkansas (6-5, 250)

Once Henry declared early for the draft, he was pegged as the top player at his position in a relatively weak tight end class. Some of that buzz wilted after a pedestrian combine, where he chose not to perform any of the testing or agility drills and put up only 13 reps on the bench in Indianapolis. However, Henry was able to regain some of that momentum at his pro day and made it clear that he is the best tight end this year. He ran 4.68 in the 40-yard dash and added a 1.60 10-yard split, 7.16 three-cone drill and 21 reps on the bench.

Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky (6-6, 249)

After a strong first half of the season, Higbee was plagued down the stretch with a knee injury that eventually required surgery in December. The rehab kept him sidelined for the Senior Bowl and combine and he didn't run the 40-yard dash or any other agility drills at the Hilltoppers' pro day. However, he did run routes for the scouts in attendance and impressed despite being only 75-percent healthy. Although he has flown under the radar due to injury, Higbee is an explosive player on tape who is worthy of top-100 consideration.

Tyrone Holmes, DE, Montana (6-3, 253)

Another notable combine snub, Holmes was the FCS Defensive Player of the Year as a senior with 24.0 tackles for loss and 18.0 sacks, producing an impressive film reel for NFL teams. And he backed up the tape with his pro day workout in front of the 18 NFL teams in attendance, recording a 4.62 40-yard dash, 1.62 10-yard split, 37.5-inch vertical leap and 4.28 short shuttle. He was already deserving of a mid-round draft pick based on the film, but the buzz among several scouts seemed to pick up after his workout.

Jatavis Brown, LB, Akron (5-11, 227)

One of the more notable combine snubs, Brown doesn't have prototypical size for the linebacker position, but his athleticism pops off the film. And that speed was on full display at the Zips' pro day as he ran a 4.44 40-yard dash, including a 1.53 10-yard split. Brown also jumped well (35.5-inch vertical leap and 10-foot-5 broad jump) and posted an impressive number on the bench press (33 reps). There is nothing he can do about his lack of height, length and growth potential, but Brown has the athletic traits that should make him at-worst a special teams ace.

Kevin Byard, FS, Middle Tennessee (5-11, 216)

The best defensive back to ever come out of the Middle Tennessee program, Byard had a productive week in Mobile at the Senior Bowl, but he was overlooked for the combine and did not receive an invite. However, he shined bright at his pro day with a sub 4.5 40-yard dash with notable numbers in the vertical (38 inches), short shuttle (4.20) and three-cone drill (6.73). Byard has ball skills and instincts (school-record 19 career interceptions), and he impressed NFL scouts with his testing athleticism. He is in the conversation to be the highest drafted non-combine prospect in the 2016 class.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Gruden interview with Connor Cook, some good stuff in here.

EAST LANSING — Connor Cook was under pressure Tuesday, but this time it was on camera, and it was former NFL Super Bowl coach Jon Gruden turning up the heat on the former Michigan State quarterback.

"My old boss in Oakland (late Raiders owner Al Davis), he would say 'let's take that kid Cook at Michigan State," Gruden said during one of the several outtakes from his QB session with Cook shown by ESPN on Tuesday.

"How the hell are you not the first pick in this draft?" Gruden said. "I'm reading all my reports, they got you ranked as the fifth, sixth quarterback. What's wrong with you? You're 6-4, 220 right?"

Cook, pressed to stand up for himself, did just that.

"I think in my eyes, I think I meet every requirement you would want when drafting a quarterback," said Cook, the Spartans' all-time leading passer and winningest quarterback at 34-5, including a 5-2 mark against top 10-ranked teams.

"I'm a senior, graduated, have over 30 wins, have started for three years, have played in big-time games, have operated in a pro-style system, have been consistent, it's not like I just had one good year," Cook said. "And I'm not a fan of tooting my own horn ..."

"I'm tooting it," Gruden interjected.

Cook continued: "I don't see why I wouldn't be the No. 1 quarterback in this draft class. So, I don't know the answer to that (lower draft projections). I'm not a GM, I'm not a coach, I'm not evaluating the talent or anything like that, but I look at myself as the best QB in this draft."

Gruden also blitzed Cook with the same question that's been dogging the Spartans outgoing senior since he finished fourth in the captain voting for a team that carries only three permanent captains.

"All I keep hearing about is this captaincy, this leadership thing," Gruden said, "It ticks you off, doesn't it?"

"I look at myself as the best QB in this draft," -- Connor Cook

"Yes sir," Cook replied, allowing Gruden to continue.

"Because all you hear about is Kirk Cousins, well, he was a three-time captain, he was the gold standard wasn't he?" Gruden said. "And that's who you had to follow."

"Yes sir," Cook said, smiling as his face appeared to flush.

"And there's people saying 'Well, hey, Connor Cook is not a captain at Michigan State," Gruden said. "He's not a leader."

Cook said he would challenge anyone to talk with his former teammates and coaches — most all of whom have come out in support of his leadership skills in several articles.

As much as Gruden appeared to enjoy the way Cook met his challenging questions, he was even more impressed with how the Michigan State quarterback handled his time drawing up plays and walking him through his progressions.

"You started making plays that really weren't there — not just making system plays ... making plays that I've never seen before," Gruden said. "Your mentality playing the quarterback position is different than any kid I've had in here in three years.

"You're an aggressive quarterback, this throw against Ohio State in the Big Ten championship (2013), it's a deep out route, it's Cover 2 (defense), look at you look to the flat, you manipulate that corner, and you drive this ball on a dime, for one of the great throws in college football.

"But you're a gunslinger, aren't you?"

Cook replied, "yes sir," and explained how the Michigan State quarterbacks call their group gunslingers, often spending Monday nights together during football season to watch Gruden break down the game on Monday Night Football.

"This is awesome man, this is great stuff, you see the whole field," Gruden said, marveling at Cook's ability to handle a pro-style offense. "My pass offense got better by meeting you, Cook."

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's more from Gruden on Connor Cook:

EAST LANSING --€” Connor Cook "€œjumps off the screen" to former NFL Super Bowl coach Jon Gruden, making throws and winning games like few others.

"€œHe's got the body of work, he's beaten five top 10 teams," Gruden said in an ESPN interview after hosting Cook on his QB Camp show. "This kid isn't completing bubble screens and quick screens, he goes after you down the field, he's got NFL talent.

"He's going to be, I think, perhaps the best quarterback in this year'€™s draft."

The NFL draft analysts have not come to a consensus with Cook, who has been projected anywhere from No. 15 in the first round to the Los Angeles Rams, to the second or third round according to Mel Kiper Jr.

Cook proved his athleticism at the NFL combine in February.

In March, the Spartans'€™ all-time leading passer put on an aerial display at MSU'€™s Pro Day that erased any questions about the health of the shoulder he sprained in November.

"€œHe stands out to me physically, he jumps off the screen at me on tape, I really want him,"€ Gruden said. "My old boss (late Oakland owner) Al Davis would have loved to have Connor Cook.

"Talent is all there, there'€™s no question. Pick up the tape and watch him in critical moments."

Gruden asked Cook during one of the ESPN show's outtakes, "€œHow the hell are you not the first pick in this draft?"

Gruden pointed to Cook's wins over Ohio State, Baylor, and Oregon as evidence of how Cook has fared well on the big stage, the College Football Playoff loss to Alabama aside.

"Big moments bring out the best in Connor Cook," Gruden said, clearly aware Cook's throwing shoulder was still injured in the loss to the Crimson Tide.

Gruden said he was impressed with how Cook overcame the injury to beat Iowa in the Big Ten championship game.

Cook led a 22-play, 82-yard drive that included a concise third-down pass to Aaron Burbridge, and then a fourth-down conversion run off the option from the 5-yard line.

Gruden said any team that wants to drop back and throw the football down field would be interested in Cook, pointing specifically to the Dallas Cowboys'€™ offense as being a good fit.

Cook said he enjoyed filming the segments for the show with Gruden at Walt Disney's Wide World of Sports

"I've always been a great fan of Coach Gruden, closely following his work as an analyst on Monday Night Football,"€ Cook said in an MSU release. "I have watched the Gruden QB Camp series throughout my college career. I remember the interviews with Cam Newton, Andrew Luck, Andy Dalton, and of course, Kirk Cousins."

According to Michigan State, here'€™s the complete schedule for Cook's appearance on Jon Gruden's QB Camp Series:

Saturday, April 23 at 4 p.m. -- ESPN

Sunday, April 24 at 2 p.m. -- ESPNU

Sunday, April 24 at 5:30 p.m. -- ESPNU

Sunday, April 24 at 9:30 p.m. -- ESPN2

Sunday, April 24 at 10:30 p.m. -- ESPNU

Monday, April 25 at 6:30 a.m. -- ESPNU

Monday, April 25 at 9:30 a.m. -- ESPNU

Monday, April 25 at 5 p.m. -- ESPNU

Monday, April 25 at 9 p.m. -- ESPNU

Wednesday, April 27 at 3 a.m. --€“ ESPNU

Wednesday, April 27 at 6:30 a.m. --€“ ESPNU

Thursday, April 28 at 3:30 p.m. -- ESPNU

Friday, April 29 at 4 p.m. -- ESPNU

Thursday, May 5 at 1 p.m. -- ESPNU

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I'm getting a little concerned about your Cook obsession, dbair...

And the douchey attitude is a concern, but it's not even #1. It's that he just isn't as good as Wentz and Goff. Not sure why Gruden even mentions the 6-4, 220 -- who cares? That's around typical QB size nowdays, and Cook's arm isn't that big.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm getting a little concerned about your Cook obsession, dbair...

And the douchey attitude is a concern, but it's not even #1. It's that he just isn't as good as Wentz and Goff. Not sure why Gruden even mentions the 6-4, 220 -- who cares? That's around typical QB size nowdays, and Cook's arm isn't that big.

I'm not obsessed with him, but I do think he's a legitimate option (not at 4 obviously)

And I wouldn't disagree that he isn't as good as Wentz or Goff, or even Lynch. Those 3 are my strong preferences. I just think people are spending too much time over analyzing a couple of games he played after a pretty significant throwing shoulder injury instead of looking at the vast majority of his other games, which was pretty damn good.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
If Gruden is willing to coach Cook in a few years, I'd be okay with Dallas drafting him now.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Again, the question was "great talent" not "scrub talent"

McGee after he was cut here got a few weeks with the Texans practice squad I think, got released and went to the CFL, where he was apparently a back up and currently is unemployed. Vaughan was so awful last year that he got beat out by Jameil Showers, went to another teams practice squad and got released again after a few weeks. According to something I read he got signed by the Stealers to be a camp arm this year.

As for Weeden, he should have never been benched or released. He posted the highest comp%, highest yds per attempt, completed the longest pass and had the lowest int % of any of the QB's that played for us last year. When they dumped him for Cassel, Cassell proved to be FAR worse as a player and showed he was pretty much washed up.

I am not defending or supporting Wade Wilson, maybe he does really suck. I'm just saying they haven't exactly given him (or any of the coaches) anything to really develop here. They've drafted 4 QB's in the regular draft since Jones owned the team (Aikman, Musgrave, Q Bong & McGee) and a 5th came via the sup draft (Walsh, who was traded 1 yr after we took him). The numbers CLEARLY show you have a much better chance of finding starting QB's by selecting them early in the draft, and we haven't done that. We've hardly invested anything.

You do have a point. They've never drafted a top tier QB. So I do understand where you're coming from about Wade Wilson. I just think that if Wade were any good at least one of the QB's we've had here would have at vey shown to be a capable backup.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I'm not obsessed with him, but I do think he's a legitimate option (not at 4 obviously)

And I wouldn't disagree that he isn't as good as Wentz or Goff, or even Lynch. Those 3 are my strong preferences. I just think people are spending too much time over analyzing a couple of games he played after a pretty significant throwing shoulder injury instead of looking at the vast majority of his other games, which was pretty damn good.

I'm also not opposed to drafting Cook in the 2nd. All of the QB's in this class have some type of flaw. So with the Cowboys needing to sit whoever they draft for at least 2 years I think Cook would be able to work on those flaws. Accuracy from what I understand is really why he's fallen out of the 1st round. The know it all's all say though that it has more to do with his footwork. With two years to work on his footwork his accuracy should be better. Don't get me wrong, he'll never be as accurate at Troy but I think he can be better than Kirk Cousins.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He'd be coaching Romo in 2017, thus the "few years" comment.

Maybe, but I don't think its a 100% given.

One of the reasons I really want a QB early this year is because I'm not convinced Romo is the starter for the next few seasons (despite what alcoholic owner states). Romo is a huge questions mark health wise IMO.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I can definitely see why Mayock has Drake in his top 5 for RBs. What an electrifying runner:

[video=youtube;nQFDwrztLJk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQFDwrztLJk[/video]

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I can definitely see why Mayock has Drake in his top 5 for RBs. What an electrifying runner:

[video=youtube;nQFDwrztLJk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQFDwrztLJk[/video]

What is his injury history in college?

Reaction score
Gruden is good on TV, but he really sucks at picking out QB's.

IIRC didn't he carry like 5 qb's on the Bucs roster at one point, and the best one was Chris Sims.

He's an offensive guru, but I don't trust his eye for QBs

Top Bottom