dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
No surprise, but apparently close to being official:

Cal QB Jared Goff plans to enter NFL draft, source says

Joe Schad
ESPN.com

Cal quarterback Jared Goff plans to announce he will enter the NFL draft, a source told ESPN.com.

The school sent out a release earlier Wednesday that Goff will discuss his future plans at a 10 a.m. PT news conference on Thursday.

Goff, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound junior out of Novato, California, passed for 4,719 yards with 43 touchdowns and 13 interceptions and a completion percentage of 64.5 in 2015. He completed 25 of 37 passes for 467 yards with six touchdowns and no interceptions against Air Force on Tuesday at the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl, setting Cal bowl game and Armed Forces Bowl records.

Goff's six touchdown passes Tuesday tied for the second-most touchdown passes thrown in a bowl game, joining Connor Halliday, Geno Smith and Chuck Long. With 43 TD passes in 2015, he broke the Pac-12's single-season touchdown pass record, which was previously held by Oregon's Marcus Mariota, who had 42 in 2014.

After going 1-11 in his debut 2013 season -- during which he became the first true freshman QB in Cal history to start a season opener -- Goff led the Bears to an 8-5 record in 2015, the program's best finish in six years. Cal finished fourth in the Pac-12 North at 4-5, and Goff shared first-team all-conference honors with Washington State quarterback Luke Falk.

ESPN's Todd McShay projects Goff as the second-best quarterback in the 2016 draft class, behind Memphis' Paxton Lynch. Goff is No. 10 on the Big Board of ESPN's Mel Kiper, who cites Goff's "special arm," "good movement," and "anticipation."

Reaction score
I'd really love to land either Paxton or Goff at this point. Both need a year or so to develop.... which they'd get here with Romo.

And I know its a cliché to say they could "learn from" such and such established vets, but a lot of times vets have little time to teach rookies anything. That wouldn't be the case with Romo. He would work with them.

Reaction score
Ohio State defensive end Joey Bosa was keeping his future plans a secret until after the BattleFrog Fiesta Bowl, but his coach may have spoiled it one day early, Austin Ward of ESPN.com reports.

Urban Meyer named the star junior and potential No. 1 overall NFL draft pick among the players who had already decided to turn pro on Thursday morning, which would make him the third player set to leave the Buckeyes early and forego a final season of eligibility.

"Three have already said they are going to leave, Zeke [Ezekiel Elliott], Joey and Cardale [Jones]," Meyer said. "It's a very good junior class, and I take my hat off to them."

Bosa has made it well known that he was strongly considering skipping his senior season and capitalizing on his sky-high draft stock after racking up 50.5 tackles for loss and 22 sacks during his three seasons with the Buckeyes. But he wasn't planning on revealing his final call until after Friday's matchup with No. 8 Notre Dame, which now looks more than ever like it will be the last time he plays for the No. 7 Buckeyes.

Reaction score
I'd really love to land either Paxton or Goff at this point. Both need a year or so to develop.... which they'd get here with Romo.

And I know its a cliché to say they could "learn from" such and such established vets, but a lot of times vets have little time to teach rookies anything. That wouldn't be the case with Romo. He would work with them.
That reminds me of another thing I don't know has been mentioned much.

We all suspect that this coaching staff can't develop a young QB (at least Garrett -- with Linehan in the fold, that may have changed a bit). But I think the presence of Romo as a mentor and/or possibly as a coach here after he is done would be a positive. I think Romo has the game and competition in his blood, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if transitions right from playing into some role with this franchise.

Remains to be seen if he would really be good at that, but I would have more confidence in him doing it than Garrett and Wade Wilson.

Reaction score
Memphis quarterback Paxton Lynch announced Thursday he has decided to enter the 2016 NFL draft, ESPN reports.

In a statement released at his news conference, Lynch said he "will be a Memphis Tiger for life" and would continue his education at the school until he earns his degree.

He also announced that he had retained agents Leigh Steinberg and Chris Cabbott.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

We all suspect that this coaching staff can't develop a young QB (at least Garrett -- with Linehan in the fold, that may have changed a bit). But I think the presence of Romo as a mentor and/or possibly as a coach here after he is done would be a positive. I think Romo has the game and competition in his blood, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if transitions right from playing into some role with this franchise.

Remains to be seen if he would really be good at that, but I would have more confidence in him doing it than Garrett and Wade Wilson.

Yep, no doubt.

And not only teaching them, but selecting them. I don't think Jerry or Romo were joking about Tony helping give input into finding the next QB. From what Romo said, it was more about seeing the field and making quick reads, which could help Jerry from falling in love with the physical marvel who has no feel for the game.

Although in this case, I think it's Lynch or Goff and that's pretty much it, at least as far as finding the next true franchise QB.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

People keep saying this, but it's not like they've made any effort. McGee is the only guy they drafted.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Explain... Are you saying there are franchise QBs all over the draft?

No, obviously the odds are better finding "the guy" with an early pick, but when the draft gets here there may be more than just those two that go early.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Oh I'm sure more than that will be drafted, even early... But I bet only two or three are actually any good.

I'm talking legit QBs who can win playoff games with a less than perfect defense, too, not just guys who can get by.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Connor Cook's draft stock is plummeting.

I wouldn't completely dismiss him because of last night. He does have size, talent, been a huge winner for a good program and has played for a really good coach.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I don't think he has that much talent. Last night just kind of confirmed what I thought about him.

Plus he's supposedly kind of a douche.

Reaction score
People keep saying this, but it's not like they've made any effort. McGee is the only guy they drafted.
They haven't really had the chance to develop a blue chip guy, but they certainly haven't done much with the guys that were brought in here as backups.

SixisBetter

Anywhere on the line.
Reaction score
Last night just kind of confirmed what I thought about him.

Haven't watched a lot of college ball this year,but I did want a look at the guy.
So I watched him in the Big 10 Champ. game v Iowa.
I wasn't impressed at all,but I guess he had some sort of injury in that game.
Last night was not good.

Top Bottom