ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sure there will be other good players, but don't we have to get a franchise QB this year? We most likely won't suck this much and pick this high again until Tony is completely finished.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Sure there will be other good players, but don't we have to get a franchise QB this year? We most likely won't suck this much and pick this high again until Tony is completely finished.

Oh, I want Lynch of Goff. I just don't want a desperate Jerry trading up; he will give up too much.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, me too. Almost makes me fear a trade up.

If they were convinced one of them is a franchise QB, trading up would be smart though to ensure we get one. Especially if they favor one over the other and can be in a position to choose.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If they do, they do.

It probably means we take Bosa and then trade a late round pick for Manziel.

Bosa is going to be a really good LDE. There are worse things that could happen.

I am starting to be of the opinion that if we end up drafting somewhere between 3-5 and cant get a QB, that trading down a few spots is the smarter way to go.

I like Bosa and he is certainly a quality talent, but Lawrence is really coming on at LDE, we have Gregory and might keep Hardy. I don't know that drafting a DE with that high a pick is a good use of resources.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh, I want Lynch of Goff. I just don't want a desperate Jerry trading up; he will give up too much.

Define "too much"

Because honestly if the scouts firmly believe one of those guys (or both) is a franchise QB, then trading up to ensure you get one is smart.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
neither of those guys is considered "can't miss," so only draft them if they fall to you.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
neither of those guys is considered "can't miss," so only draft them if they fall to you.

I agree they don't appear to be Elway or Aikman types, but beyond them there are few and far between "cant miss" types, doesn't mean they cant be quality players or even high level franchise caliber QB's.

You have to trust the scouts to do their job, if they firmly believe one or both is a big time prospect, you have to take a chance I think. I wouldn't do what Washington did for RGIII, but if the trade up is within reason I think it should be considered to ensure we get someone.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Goff looked pretty "can't miss" yesterday. It's only one game so you can judge too much, but I think he looks much better than Lynch does today.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
I agree they don't appear to be Elway or Aikman types, but beyond them there are few and far between "cant miss" types, doesn't mean they cant be quality players or even high level franchise caliber QB's.

You have to trust the scouts to do their job, if they firmly believe one or both is a big time prospect, you have to take a chance I think. I wouldn't do what Washington did for RGIII, but if the trade up is within reason I think it should be considered to ensure we get someone.

the team you trade up with will demand compensation as if it were Elway or Aikman for the taking. if you stay put, you will get a blue chip player regardless ... and not fork over god knows how many first rounders.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
the team you trade up with will demand compensation as if it were Elway or Aikman for the taking. if you stay put, you will get a blue chip player regardless ... and not fork over god knows how many first rounders.

It depends on who it is. TN might not, they think they have a franchise QB. Everybody knows they arnt going to take one, that decreases trade value. It also behooves them to move down a few spots and pick up whatever they can if they fill like the player they really like will still be there.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Goff looked pretty "can't miss" yesterday. It's only one game so you can judge too much, but I think he looks much better than Lynch does today.

I haven't watched the game yet but the boxscore shows Lynch really struggled today. I don't think Auburn is a good team, but they do have better talent defensively than Air Force does though.

I really think now more than ever its hard to see much from these bowl games because too many times one team makes very little (if any) effort to play hard and win. I'd definitely put more weight on what Lynch might do if he plays in the SR bowl than this bowl game today.

Goff did look very good though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Didn't realize Lynch wasn't a Senior. Saw some blurbs from postgame that says he is going to discuss draft options and decide whether to enter the draft.

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
It depends on who it is. TN might not, they think they have a franchise QB. Everybody knows they arnt going to take one, that decreases trade value. It also behooves them to move down a few spots and pick up whatever they can if they fill like the player they really like will still be there.

Because there are so few elites ones, QBs are always overdrafted. The Rams had Bradford and thus were not a real threat to draft RG3, yet they still extracted a king's ransom from the Skins. Just because the Titans have Mariotta doesn't mean there won't be a bidding war for the #1 pick if Goff or Lynch light up the combine or their personal workouts. Manziel fucking up in Cleveland is what could really hurt us, because they're the last team that should be spending a first rounder on another QB. But they probably will.

Reaction score
Define "too much"

Because honestly if the scouts firmly believe one of those guys (or both) is a franchise QB, then trading up to ensure you get one is smart.
If we were to trade up from say 4 to 2, then it would probably cost us our 2nd and 3rd. That's a bit pricey for my tastes. We basically get a QB early on Thursday night, and then don't draft again till Saturday. And it also means that the odds we plug a rookie into the starting lineup in the first 8 weeks is nil, unless Romo gets hurt again.

Last edited:

bbgun

Administrator
Reaction score
If we were to trade up from say 4 to 2, then it would probably cost us our 2nd and 3rd.

and if we pick 8th, we're definitely forking over next year's #1 (and a few other picks).

Reaction score
I'm not cool with trading next years anything to move up. There isn't a guy in this draft that isn't a bonafide can't miss.

I'd rather try and trade down, then overdraft one of the second round guys like Hackenberg or whatever. Give them two years to sit and learn.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If we were to trade up from say 4 to 2, then it would probably cost us our 2nd and 3rd. That's a bit pricey for my tastes. We basically get a QB early on Thursday night, and then don't draft again till Saturday. And it also means that the odds we plug a rookie into the starting lineup in the first 8 weeks is nil, unless Romo gets hurt again.

I don't know for sure that would be the cost, I might be more inclined to say we should give up next years first and maybe a later pick in this yrs draft instead.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I DVR'd the Memphis game and just watched it. Lynch wasn't as bad as some said. He had very little help, his receivers dropped 4 or 5 catchable balls and the Auburn defensive front was a mismatch for the Memphis OL. They also noted during the game that basically all his skill position players are walk ons.

I didn't see anything that would make me like him less. He has great size and movement skill, has a good arm and accuracy has never been an issue for him. On plays where he dropped back he gets back fast and definitely has ability to throw on the run.

With him it probably comes down to how well does he pick up NFL reads.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not cool with trading next years anything to move up. There isn't a guy in this draft that isn't a bonafide can't miss.

I'd rather try and trade down, then overdraft one of the second round guys like Hackenberg or whatever. Give them two years to sit and learn.

I'm not opposed to Hackenberg. He needs some work but the tools are there clearly. He was definitely better under OBriens staff than the new guy the past two years.

Top Bottom