dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
We shall see when we have zero pass rush at the start of training camp

Like I said before, I don't want him back, he shouldn't be back, but we will have backed ourselves into a corner again and will sign him for security at the position

He didn't help the pass rush last yr either, save the one game where he actually gave a big effort. (New England)

He wont be back.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Nobody wants him back. He just may be the cheapest option. He was lousy. I've heard people say though that had more to do with taking a year off and that if he's working hard (doubtful) he would be more like he was before the suspension. Think, Leon Lett when he came back from his year suspension.

He wont be back. Period.

Not only does Garrett hate the guy, but I'd be willing to bet Marinelli absolutely despises him too and probably never wanted him here in the first place.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
They didn't talk much about Bosa yesterday in the PC did they? Other than Jones saying something about character concerns were not a concern for them taking him.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
They didn't talk much about Bosa yesterday in the PC did they? Other than Jones saying something about character concerns were not a concern for them taking him.

I can't remember word for word what Jerry said about Bosa but I kind of took it as they have no concerns about his character because they won't be taking him anyways. No need to throw the guy under the bus if they're not going to take him.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He wont be back. Period.

Not only does Garrett hate the guy, but I'd be willing to bet Marinelli absolutely despises him too and probably never wanted him here in the first place.

you really do have this fantasy that you actually know something.

Reaction score
Wild-card factor always in play with Cowboys: Could Dallas go in unforeseen direction with draft's No. 4 pick?

By Brandon George, Staff Writer

IRVING -- We all know Jerry Jones' penchant for making a splash. This is the man who thought long and hard about selecting quarterback Johnny Manziel while on the clock in the first round in 2014 before backing down.

And the Dallas Cowboys have had a quiet offseason, not signing any big names in free agency while the rest of the NFC East has remained in the headlines with their roster moves.

What if the Cowboys have us all fooled when it comes to how they'll use the fourth overall pick in the draft Thursday?

Don't discount the possibility. The wild-card factor is always in play when it comes to the Cowboys and Jones.

"I've had some wow and I've had some lesser times and the time I want is holding that trophy up," Jones said Monday. "Sometimes you have to wait and be a little patient.

"People know we'll shoot and people know we have some bullets to shoot with if we want to, so I don't feel like you got to prove anything about making a statement here in the offseason. We want to get up there and win more games."

Talk to enough people at Valley Ranch and within the organization and it seems to be clear: The Cowboys are likely to go one of three ways if they stay put and pick fourth Thursday night. They like Florida State cornerback Jalen Ramsey and Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott and defensive end Joey Bosa.

The top two picks are expected to be quarterbacks Jared Goff and Carson Wentz. That leaves San Diego at No. 3 to choose the best player in the draft who doesn't play quarterback. They've been connected for awhile with Ramsey.

If Ramsey is off the board when the Cowboys pick at No. 4, what if they bypass both Ohio State standouts for Oregon defensive lineman DeForest Buckner?

If you don't believe there is an elite player in this draft - and that argument could be made - then why not take a player who fits a need area and also has all the intangibles?

If you think there isn't much difference in Bosa and Buckner, then why not take the player who is bigger, taller, has longer arms, bigger hands and coming off of a better season last year? Yes, that would be Buckner, who led the Pac-12 with 10.5 sacks to five for Bosa.

Buckner has the body type of a 3-4 defensive end, but the Cowboys play a 4-3 scheme. But he's a player who could move inside or outside - something Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli loves - and would give Dallas more options up front with how they possibly use three-technique defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford moving forward.

If the Cowboys would draft Buckner, couldn't they move Crawford back outside to end? Couldn't they use both players inside or outside on different downs alongside each other? The Cowboys obviously think highly of Buckner. Like Bosa, Buckner was one of the club's 28 pre-draft visitors who came to Valley Ranch to meet with coaches, scouts and executives.

Sure you really like a certain player in this draft, but is he a can't-miss prospect who deserves an elite, top-five pick? The answer is likely no.

So don't discount the Cowboys using the fourth overall pick on someone who isn't as obvious right now. You can't ignore the possibility that the Cowboys will do something Thursday night that no one sees coming.

It's all quiet at Valley Ranch right now when it comes to Buckner. That could be intentional.

onlyonenow

In the Rotation
Reaction score
you dumb gomers screaming he won't be back keep ignoring the fact that the Boys have not closed the door. As I said its been left open a crack and if we get desperate enough another one year contract is possible.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
He may have been "lousy" as you say but he did have the second highest sack count on our team and he did it in only 12 games instead of 16 like everyone else

So is that really lousy? Or is it just that he didn't perform up to expectations considering how dominating he was before his year plus suspension

Yes, he was really lousy.

He played one good game. ONE. Out of those 12. And he had a full training camp and preseason.

Was Jeremy Mincey a great pass rusher the yr he had 6 sacks here?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
you really do have this fantasy that you actually know something.

Its not that I "know" anything or have any "sources"

Its not hard to see the forest for the trees when you have half a brain.

I know that doesn't apply to you, because you have a ten cent head. But that's the way the ret of the world works.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
you dumb gomers screaming he won't be back keep ignoring the fact that the Boys have not closed the door. As I said its been left open a crack and if we get desperate enough another one year contract is possible.

Where has anyone anywhere in the organization even remotely intimated publicly that the "door is open" for his return?

JFC man, just because they don't have a fucking giant neon sign outside VR that says "Greg Hardy your ass cant come back" doesn't mean he is welcome back here or that they are even remotely considering it.

Scot

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
In your opinion what would be the worst possible outcome of the fourth overall pick for you?

For me it would be Tunsil at 4 since we don't need him. He would be a stellar addition but a redundancy that will put us in cap hell down the road

I'd be happy with Elliott, Ramsey and even Bosa at 4.

Hell is even be ok with Lynch at four if they honestly believe he can be the next franchise QB. I'd rather take a swing and a miss on him then attempt to fill our QB need in a later round with the likes of Dak Prescott or Conner Cook. I would be much happier taking Lynch at 34 but he will never last until then.

So what would be your FUBAR pick for the Cowboys at four?

Sent from my two thumbs using Tapatalk

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Where has anyone anywhere in the organization even remotely intimated publicly that the "door is open" for his return?

JFC man, just because they don't have a fucking giant neon sign outside VR that says "Greg Hardy your ass cant come back" doesn't mean he is welcome back here or that they are even remotely considering it.

That would be a pretty cool sign though.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
ok, here’s my armchair GM draft scenario, Dallas trades its #4 and Leary to Tennessee for:

Tennessee's #15, #33 & #43

This gives Dallas Picks:

#15, #33, #34, #43 & #67

This also frees up 2.5 million in cap space and a roster spot by getting rid of Leary who will be gone in 2017.

This doubles their picks from 2 to 4 and the #33 pick is actually the 32nd pick because NE had to forgo their first round pick, so essentially they would have two 1sts and two 2nds. Four picks in the top 43 should give them good shots at several good players.

I’m willing to take a chance on Derrick Henry because we have the line he is said to need to run behind plus I think there is a chance he performs better than expectations.

With these picks they grab:

Defensive End: Kevin Dodd
Safety: Karl Joseph
RB: Derrick Henry
Cornerback: Eli Apple

Then, they trade up with their 67th pick and grab Conner Cook or stay put and take a chance on Christian Hackenberg ( see: NFL Teams Try to Figure Out Christian Hackenberg | The MMQB with Peter King ). Gil Brandt has them ranked 56th and 82nd respectively.

So with their first 5 picks they get a DE, S, RB, Corner and a QB that needs development. I’d say that would be a great haul for the effective cost of 3 draft picks. It has to fall their way but its not crazy to think these players will be available. The ones I feel are at risk of being already selected before Dallas’s picks are Henry, Cook and Hackenberg (if a rush on QBs drives them all off the board).

No guarantee of success but this spreads the risk out among 5 picks and gives them a player in each of the positions considered needed by Dallas without actually drafting for need.

If Tennessee would go for it and grabbed Tunsil, they'd get two pieces of their line presumably addressed along with a slew of draft picks they got from the trade with the Rams. They probably won't do it but this my fantasy scenario Id like to see play out

Reaction score
Can you get a different RB than Henry? I don't see it. It's like Ron Dayne or Jackie Battle or Troy Hambrick. Just some size but no sudden power or acceleration or anything special to make their size more than just size.

yimyammer

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Can you get a different RB than Henry? I don't see it. It's like Ron Dayne or Jackie Battle or Troy Hambrick. Just some size but no sudden power or acceleration or anything special to make their size more than just size.

you could use the 3rd round pick on CJ Promise or Devontae Booker and then use one of the second round picks on a guy like Nkemdiche if he falls

I've just fallen for some stuff Ive read about Henry and would like to take a chance on him with one of those 2nd rounders and see what he can do behind their O-line. If he can play, it sure would be a lot of fun watching him crush people in the 3rd & 4th quarters. Its a risk mitigated by the trade imo and the extra picks allow them to take a few chances.

MrB

Draft Pick
Reaction score
you could use the 3rd round pick on CJ Promise or Devontae Booker and then use one of the second round picks on a guy like Nkemdiche if he falls

I've just fallen for some stuff Ive read about Henry and would like to take a chance on him with one of those 2nd rounders and see what he can do behind their O-line. If he can play, it sure would be a lot of fun watching him crush people in the 3rd & 4th quarters. Its a risk mitigated by the trade imo and the extra picks allow them to take a few chances.

Yea I'd prefer Devontae Booker or Kenneth Dixon. Both have a better overall skill set than Henry. Plus I'm not fond of Bama running backs.

Top Bottom