Reaction score
I can name about a billion Wisconsin RBs who were awesome in college.

Struggling to recall the last good pro, though.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Chubb's success dampens my enthusiasm for Gurley, a bit.

I think Gurley will be a successful NFL back. Far from certain that he'll be a phenom, though.

It shouldn't, Chubb is the real deal too. Kid is gonna be a really good one.

Reaction score
Whatever happened to TJ Yeldon?

Wasn't he considered a stud Rb at one point? I never really hear him mentioned anymore.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd still have him on my hit list. I've always liked Yeldon.

He did have a couple of inopportune fumbles over the years and at times has been dinged up but he is one of those solid all around backs that can do just about everything. Run inside or outside, quality receiver out of the backfield, good blocker in blitz pickup. Also has been coached well by NFL caliber coaches.

I doubt he makes it to our pick in round 3, we'd either have to take him at the end of rd 2 or have an early 3rd I think.

Reaction score
dbair did a good job of summarizing Yeldon.

I'd just add that while Yeldon has serviceable speed, but his 40 time isn't anything special for an RB. He's also 6'2" which is on the tall side by today's standards.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Chubb's success dampens my enthusiasm for Gurley, a bit.

I think Gurley will be a successful NFL back. Far from certain that he'll be a phenom, though.
I didn't see Georgia play much last year, but just from his highlights, I have to say I'm less impressed with him than what people are making him out to be. Not saying he won't be good, but I don't see this "generational talent" some talk about.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't see Georgia play much last year, but just from his highlights, I have to say I'm less impressed with him than what people are making him out to be. Not saying he won't be good, but I don't see this "generational talent" some talk about.

need to watch all his time here...he was sensational

UGA has cranked out all kinda of RB talent for a couple decades plus now, and he is one of the best we've ever put out there

Reaction score
Eric Dickerson was 6'2". Think Adrian Peterson is as well.

Not sure if this guy knows what he's talking about, but it is interesting: http://www.sports-central.org/sports/2011/03/15/does_size_matter_for_running_backs.php

I didn't see many of his games either. For whatever it is worth, Gurley's yards per carry average was similar to what Barry Sanders did at OSU.

The fact that Nick Chubb has performed so incredibly well at Georgia makes me skeptical of Gurley as a generational talent. Lightening usually doesn't strike twice in the same place at more or less the same time.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Zero- we recruit a ton of premier RB talents here. Chubb is just another in a long line of outstanding talents at this position. if he stays healthy he'll be a pretty high pick himself in two more yrs.

Reaction score
Absolutely, dbair, that's for sure.

Nearly everyone agrees that Gurley will be a successful NFL back and likely a very successful NFL RB assuming he avoids serious injury.

The question being asked here is whether Gurley is truly on the same level as guys like Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, L.T., and A.P. That's a higher bar. Sounds like you think he clears it. I'm more skeptical.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
I'd still have him on my hit list. I've always liked Yeldon.

He did have a couple of inopportune fumbles over the years and at times has been dinged up but he is one of those solid all around backs that can do just about everything. Run inside or outside, quality receiver out of the backfield, good blocker in blitz pickup. Also has been coached well by NFL caliber coaches.

I doubt he makes it to our pick in round 3, we'd either have to take him at the end of rd 2 or have an early 3rd I think.

With the amount of 1st and 2nd tier RBs in this draft I can see him lasting to the 3rd. Even our pick in the third depending on how things fall, of course.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Oh, and speaking of the depth of the RB class in this draft, I don't think I touch Gurley at 27. Too risky coming off of that injury with so much other talent around him. If we are just deadset on RB with our first pick I either take Gordon or trade down and grab Ajayi.

Top Bottom