jnday

UDFA
Reaction score
but the new RB (probably) won't be as good and the defense that sorely needed three new young studs in the first three rounds will in all likelihood only get two. kudos to Stephen for holding the line, but there will be negative consequences on the field. and it's not like we're using the Murray savings to re-sign Carter or Durant, or pick up new blood like Hardy, Cromartie, etc.
I think Gurley will be a big improvement over Murray when his knee is well. I hoped for a deeper defensive draft. At 27, I don't see a defensive player that can step in and start. I think a CB should be drafted early, because Oscan is the only decent one on the roster. Of course they need a true Free Safety, but they will continue to ignore the position.

Reaction score
Mariota not ruling out Eagles

Marcus Mariota has not ruled the Eagles out yet, Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports.

The Oregon quarterback has been linked to the Eagles throughout the last two months because of his connection with Eagles coach Chip Kelly and how he'd fit in the team's offense. But it seemed more unlikely that the Eagles would make a big trade after Kelly acquired quarterback Sam Bradford on Tuesday. Yet Mariota still believes it's possible that he could reunite with Kelly in Philadelphia next season.

"I wouldn't doubt it, but Coach Kelly and the Eagles are going to do what's best for the team," Mariota said on the day of the Maxwell Football Club's annual awards gala. "We'll see what happens."

"It's going to come down to whatever they want to do," Mariota said. "I'm not sure what Coach Kelly wants to do. He hasn't talked to me about it. He's been more of a mentor to me, whenever I needed someone. If I need to talk to him about anything, he's kind of that person who's been there for me."

Mariota said Kelly "checks in on" him throughout the predraft process. He's also close with Eagles receiver Josh Huff, a college teammate.

overused

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Benardrick McKinney
coming in for visit
Mississippi State ILB Benardrick McKinney is visiting the 49ers, Cowboys, Broncos and Texans, per TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline.

The 6-foot-4, 245-pound McKinney was quite productive in his time at Mississippi State. McKinney recorded 243 total tackles, 7.5 sacks, eight passes defensed, and one forced fumble during his college career. The Mississippi State prospect has the ideal size and length for the position at the next level, but gets knocked for being a possible liability in the passing game. McKinney shows a nose for the football and possess good speed and athleticism for his size. To improve his stock, McKinney will have to prove to evaluators that he's more than just a two-down thumper. Mar 17 - 2:54 PM
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Benardrick McKinney
coming in for visit
Mississippi State ILB Benardrick McKinney is visiting the 49ers, Cowboys, Broncos and Texans, per TFY Draft Insider Tony Pauline.

The 6-foot-4, 245-pound McKinney was quite productive in his time at Mississippi State. McKinney recorded 243 total tackles, 7.5 sacks, eight passes defensed, and one forced fumble during his college career. The Mississippi State prospect has the ideal size and length for the position at the next level, but gets knocked for being a possible liability in the passing game. McKinney shows a nose for the football and possess good speed and athleticism for his size. To improve his stock, McKinney will have to prove to evaluators that he's more than just a two-down thumper. Mar 17 - 2:54 PM
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

Another Hitchens type.

Reaction score
Bill Jones seems convinced the Boise State RB, Jay Ajayi or whatever, is our next back.

I think takin him at 27 is too high but doubt he's there at the end of round 2.

Iamtdg

Reaction score
Bill Jones seems convinced the Boise State RB, Jay Ajayi or whatever, is our next back.

I think takin him at 27 is too high but doubt he's there at the end of round 2.

I really would like to have him as I feel he is the most complete back in this draft, but I'm not a fan of the thought of moving up for him in the second, and I'm afraid we would have to, to get him in the second.

Reaction score
Boise State RB Jay Ajayi "ranks anywhere from a high of No. 2 on running back boards around the league to a low of No. 6," according to TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

We've heard rumblings that Ajayi has perhaps moved ahead of Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon on a few boards, and now a plugged-in reporter is confirming the same. "I'm told Jay Ajayi looked good in running back drills, especially catching the ball," Pauline wrote of the prospect's pro day. Ajayi elected not to run the forty, standing on his combine numbers (4.57 forty; 1.59 10; 4.1 20-yard shuttle; 7.1 second 3-cone). Ajayi dined with the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I really would like to have him as I feel he is the most complete back in this draft, but I'm not a fan of the thought of moving up for him in the second, and I'm afraid we would have to, to get him in the second.

Maybe trade down into the top of the 2nd?

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe trade down into the top of the 2nd?

I think moving out of the first rd is a real possibility this yr

That is unless the best RB prospect in the draft Todd Gurley is there, in which case we take him and celebrate getting the best RB draft while also pissing you off.

Reaction score
Watching NFL Network right now as they're replaying the Cowboys/Rams game.

But they scroll Mike Mayocks rankings on the bottom of the screen and it caught my attention that he had Melvin Gordon rated ahead of Gurley, and he doesn't even have Jay Ajayi ranked in his top 5.

It's

Gordon
Gurley
Ameer Abdullah
Duke Johnson
Tevin Coleman

God Claiborne just got smoked by Brian Quick.

Last edited:

Doomsday

High Plains Drifter
Reaction score
But they scroll Mike Mayocks rankings on the bottom of the screen and it caught my attention that he had Melvin Gordon rated ahead of Gurley, and he doesn't even have Jay Ajayi ranked in his top 5.
People can make excuses about Gordon's prolific numbers and average all they want, (pointing to dominant offensive line play) but it has been consistent over his entire playing career - much like Emmitt Smith's was. Plus, he's not a fumbler.

Of course that last doesn't mean much when we remember Murray never had a single fumble during his entire career at OU.

I'd rather have Gordon if both were there at 27.

Top Bottom