Reaction score
Seriously though if I saved a leprechaun one of my wishes would be that dbair, statman, and doomsday could be Jews in 1940s Germany.

Reaction score
Saw some camp highlights.

Wilcox. Can't cover without holding.

Hitchens "we knew about his run defense but not sure how he can cover"

Hanna, Seastrunk, and Witten made the coverage look silly. Hanna will end of being a blocker, Seastrunk will be cut and Witten will get his reps intermittently.

Reaction score
I saw some live camp shots while at the gym. Only about 5 plays but the run game got stuffed every time. Defense was swarming and runs to the outside went nowhere.

Reaction score
Here are 10 quick thoughts from practice on Tuesday:

1. Rookie cornerback Byron Jones is going to have a role in this defense. Right now the Cowboys are trying him all over the secondary. He played cornerback, dime and safety in practice the last two days. He is most comfortable at cornerback and he showed up big time in a compete drill before the entire team against Pro Bowl receiver Dez Bryant. Jones had a nice jam on Bryant off the line and he stayed with him down the field. A little bump by Bryant at the end of the route didn’t faze him and he leaped high to knock the ball away. Jones showed the strength, the length and the athleticism that the Cowboys coveted on draft day.

2. Lance Dunbar has not gotten the attention of Joseph Randle or Darren McFadden when talk turns to the possible replacements for DeMarco Murray. But it’s clear that Dunbar will be a big part of the offense and have an expanded role now that Murray is gone. He will handle the passing game on third down and in two minute situations. That was evident during a crisp two-minute drive in practice on Tuesday. Randle got a key first down on a pass out of the back field then he walked in untouched on a run for the score.

3. Tony Romo has been good but not spectacular through the first week of camp. But he was at his best during the two-minute drill on Tuesday, going 8-for-8 on the drive with key passes to Dez Bryant, Lance Dunbar and Jason Witten.

4. The offensive line handled the defensive line with ease during the two-minute drill. The pocket was clean and Romo had clear passing lanes.

5. The defensive line had the upper hand for most of the day until the two-minute drill. The defense was especially stingy during the run portion of team drills. Unlike past practices when running back Joseph Randle and Lance Dunbar would sprint for big gainers through gaping holes, it was tough sledding for the ground game for much of the day. As a result there was less cursing from defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

6. Tight end Gavin Escobar bobbled and then dropped a pass that ended in the hands of safety Corey White for an interception. Escobar has to catch that ball.

7. The defense won the pass-rush compete drill with a 3-0 sweep. Defensive end Ben Gardner easily went by rookie guard La’el Collins. Defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence got the best of tackle Doug Free and defensive tackle Nick Hayden won over center/guard Mackenzy Bernadeau.

8. Rookie fourth-round pick Damien Wilson was at first-team weak-side LB to start team drills in place of Sean Lee. The Cowboys are continuing to be cautious with Lee. He has not been in team drills since the start of camp. But he did get some 7-on-7 work on Tuesday.

9. Defensive tackle Davon Coleman been very impressive the first few days of camp. He has been going against mostly backup offensive lineman and has yet to do against the team’s front line starters. But Coleman has been very active and tough to block.

10. Dustin Vaughn was the surprise of training camp last year when the Cowboys kept him as the third quarterback on the roster. Vaughn has not been as good so far in his second year and needs to pick it up if he hopes to stick again. The Cowboys may not have the luxury of keeping three quarterbacks, forfeiting an important roster spot. It’s interesting that fourth quarterback Jameill Showers is getting a look on special teams. If he can show enough athleticism to find a role on special teams then he can do some to the third quarterback duties in practice, solving two problems for the Cowboys.  

Read more here: JUST CHILL: 10 Thoughts from Tuesday’s Cowboys practice | The Star Telegram

Reaction score
Reposted for Doomsday

10. Dustin Vaughn was the surprise of training camp last year when the Cowboys kept him as the third quarterback on the roster. Vaughn has not been as good so far in his second year and needs to pick it up if he hopes to stick again. The Cowboys may not have the luxury of keeping three quarterbacks, forfeiting an important roster spot. It’s interesting that fourth quarterback Jameill Showers is getting a look on special teams. If he can show enough athleticism to find a role on special teams then he can do some to the third quarterback duties in practice, solving two problems for the Cowboys.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

Hanna, Seastrunk, and Witten made the coverage look silly. Hanna will end of being a blocker, Seastrunk will be cut and Witten will get his reps intermittently.

I was watching the Packers playoff game on YouTube the last couple of days while working out and I'd forgotten how bad Wilcox was. Just brutal. That 3rd and 15 when they not only converted but got a 46 yard td because Wilcox just stood there and let that wr stroll right by him was unforgivable and was one of the biggest plays in the game.

Statman

Practice Squad
Reaction score
I think that having our d-line practice daily against an offensive line considered one of the best is going to pay big dividends.

You got to believe the D-line has enough pride that they arent going to take being shoved around all training camp with Marinelli screaming at their backs.

I'd like to think Tuesday is a positive for defense and not a negative for the offense.

Reaction score
I was watching the Packers playoff game on YouTube the last couple of days while working out and I'd forgotten how bad Wilcox was. Just brutal. That 3rd and 15 when they not only converted but got a 46 yard td because Wilcox just stood there and let that wr stroll right by him was unforgivable and was one of the biggest plays in the game.

Yeah he flashes athleticism at times but he's not a quality player. Drafted way too early. I'll never understand this teams obsession with project safeties or where it came from.

Reaction score
Yeah he flashes athleticism at times but he's not a quality player. Drafted way too early. I'll never understand this teams obsession with project safeties or where it came from.

If they allow him to go back to running on all-fours, his game will improve. Being a bi-ped is still new for Wilcox. Thinking is also new, just put him in the blitz and let him run in straight lines.

Reaction score
@DMN_George: Jason Garrett said RB Darren McFadden is a day or two away from practicing for first time in camp. LB Rolando McClain a week or two away.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score

Sturm just commented on how loaded the secondary was as fyi

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sturm just commented on how loaded the secondary was as fyi

Which is pretty crazy. An average, way-overpaid vet many people thought would be cut before camp, a complete first round bust, a pretty good slot corner, a first rounder who we don't know can play yet, and two very average safeties.

No idea where he gets "loaded" for that bunch.

Reaction score
Vela tweeted that hardy is making Tyron sweat and that Gregory can't do anything against him. Which iirc is the exact opposite of what someone tweeted the other day. So who the fuck knows.

Also lance Dunbar with a foot injury that Stephen said didn't seem serious.

Top Bottom