Reaction score
Jon Machota ✔@jonmachota
Jerry Jones said he doesn't know if he could've scripted the Dez-Patmon fight any better. "That's good stuff. That's training camp."

Thanks for posting, amigo. I get my idiots mixed up. Been that way ever since Sheik sold the forum to Statman.

Reaction score
1. Dez Bryant was the talk of practice because of the fight with Tyler Patmon. It must be noted that Patmon threw the first punch. But what shouldn’t be overlooked is that Bryant was having a great day before the meltdown. There was only one time in which a ball from Tony Romo to Dez Bryant hit the ground and that was near the end of practice. Before that they connected on nearly everything in 1-on-1 to 7-on-7 to team drills. Bryant did most of his damage against Brandon Carr after wearing out Orlando Scandrick on Saturday.

2. Bryant is the best receiver on the team. Cole Beasley might be quietly making a move to being the second-best receiver on the team, although he is the nickel slot receiver behind Terrance Williams and Bryant. Beasley is a technician in the slot and he makes it look so easy. He and Orlando Scandrick are having a heck of a battle in the slot. Beasely is certainly the most consistent of the receivers behind Dez Bryant.

3. Speaking of Terrance Williams, he did not have one of his best days on Sunday. Brandon Carr out fought him for an interception from Tony Romo. Carr also had a pass deflection against him. Williams dropped an easy pass on a crossing route and he had a false start, prompting him to get replaced in the lineup and a yell from Tony Romo, “come on, Terrance.”

4. Lance Dunbar may end up being the team’s kickoff returner but he has a long way to go to handle punt returns. He just doesn’t look comfortable back there and is not making good decisions on which balls to catch.

5. Rookie defensive end Randy Gregory is continuing to grow and learn. He got the best of Tyron Smith on a play in 1-on-1 pass-rush drills, prompting a little trash talking from Hall of Famer Charles Haley. He also knocked Darrion Weems off balanced with “his heavy hands” that coach Jason Garrett bragged about during the press conference earlier in the day. Gregory might be slightly built but he has heavy hands and you feel it when he puts them on you. Not a bad trait for a pass rusher.

6. Second-year receiver Devin Street has had a strong start to camp and looks much better than he did as a rookie. He showed up by beating Brandon Carr for a pass from Romo in the compete drill in front of thee team.

7. Rookie cornerback Byron Jones flashed his play-making skills with a leaping interception off backup quarterback Brandon Weeden. He also got in with the starters when the Cowboys went to the dime defense.

8. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli cranked up the intensity Sunday with a cursing tirade throughout practice. The defensive line felt his wrath. It also shows that he has a lot of expectation for that unit which is markedly more talented than the bunch he played with a year ago.

9. Greg Hardy is a proven elite pass rusher but he gets handled regularly by left tackle Tyron Smith. Hardy is an energetic, whirling dervish, especially for a man his size. It is of no matter to Smith, who keeps him at arms length.

10. Rookie guard La’el Collins is just starting to show his stuff now that the pads are on and he can get physical. He buried rookie Ryan Russell on a pass rush drill.

Clarence E. Hill Jr., 817-390-7760

Twitter: @clarencehilljr

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...orner-blog/article29836849.html#storylink=cpy

Reaction score
3. Speaking of Terrance Williams, he did not have one of his best days on Sunday. Brandon Carr out fought him for an interception from Tony Romo. Carr also had a pass deflection against him. Williams dropped an easy pass on a crossing route and he had a false start, prompting him to get replaced in the lineup and a yell from Tony Romo, “come on, Terrance.”

Dez is not going to OTAs because of contract holdout and the team/website pronounces everything that TWilly does in superlative improvement. Problem is there was very little physical contact and very little need for pads. And, by the way, now that Dez is back in the fold, there is no reason to promote a possible leveraging replacement player for him who is already on the roster. Reliability is absolutely necessary for a WR and BabyMitts Terrance Williams May or may not reach for a pass or run a route or catch with his hands. Cole Beasley missed only 12 passes last year and plays a clever game. Cole is also faster than Williams and can out jump Williams.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams not even starting games this year.

Reaction score
I remember Dooley loved Street last year and the above mentioned how much better Street looked.

He could take snaps from Terrance.

Reaction score
Watching some of the videos on the Cowboys website, the talent on the D-line has improved. You can see it.

Gregory reminded me of D-ware when made an offensive lineman look silly by shoving backwards like a little kid. If he can learn some technique he could be unblockable.

Crawford looks great too. He looks stronger.

Reaction score
Yeah I'm excited about our DL. First time I've said that in years.

Shit... Remember being optimistic about Willie Blade and Colston Weatherington? Those campo years were bbbbaaaaaaadddd

Dodger12

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shit... Remember being optimistic about Willie Blade and Colston Weatherington? Those campo years were bbbbaaaaaaadddd

They pale in comparison to Darren Benson. Used a 3rd round pick in the supplemental draft to acquire him. I thought Parcells could resurrect Willie Blade's career and he flashed some but it was short lived. God we drafted horribly in those years.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Sad thing is, our DL still isn't as good as what Campo had in 2002, at least until Hardy gets back.

Crawford isn't as good as Glover, No DE we have except Hardy is as good as Ellis, Lawrence is probably equal to Ekuban, and Golden Cock *is* Brandon Noble.

The 2002 defense even ranked higher in yards and points.

Reaction score
If Lawrence isn't better than Ekuban then we're probably fucked.

Give me Gregory, Lawrence, Hardy, and Crawford over that 2002 group any day.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sad thing is, our DL still isn't as good as what Campo had in 2002, at least until Hardy gets back.

Crawford isn't as good as Glover, No DE we have except Hardy is as good as Ellis, Lawrence is probably equal to Ekuban, and Golden Cock *is* Brandon Noble.

This years defense will be a lot better than that 2002 team, take that to the bank.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
Probably a little better, but I doubt it's a lot better.

The real difference is that the 2002 team had the boat anchor of a horrendous QB and offense around its neck. This team should be playing with leads, sometimes big ones, most of the year.

Reaction score
I don't know about 2002, but the 2015 defense ought to be a good bit better than the 2013 and 2014 defenses.

Reaction score
I think they rank defenses off of total yards. I care more about turnovers, third down stops, and points scored.

That 2002 defense was a lot of boring bend don't break stuff with few turnovers or sacks IIRC.

Hell of a head coach it seems, but I hated zimmer as a DC.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score

Maybe not yet but the potential is certainly there for this group to be a hell of a lot better and that's something we should be excited about.

NoShame

UDFA
Reaction score
I think they rank defenses off of total yards. I care more about turnovers, third down stops, and points scored.

That 2002 defense was a lot of boring bend don't break stuff with few turnovers or sacks IIRC.

Hell of a head coach it seems, but I hated zimmer as a DC.

You've always been wrong on Zimmer.

Top Bottom