C

Cr122

Post any comments or articles that have to do with the Combine in here. Combine starts Saturday, and is aired on NFL Network for those of you who didn't know.

C

Cr122

[h=2]Combine's most intriguing players[/h]
Combine's most intriguing players
Remember Ryan Broyles? The NFL combine is a good place to get re-acquainted
By Mel Kiper

Ryan Broyles is one player who needs to show he's healthy this week at the combine.
Earlier this season, I had Oklahoma wide receiver Ryan Broyles on my Big Board. An excellent route-runner with good quickness, if not great speed and steady hands, he was a potential first-round pick. Good NFL scouts have long memories, and plenty of tape, which means good things for Broyles -- who tore his ACL in a game early in November -- but doesn't totally diminish the importance of this week.

Broyles is one of a few guys who will be able to give clear status updates on injuries during this week's NFL combine in Indianapolis. But to go beyond the guys coming in with injury questions, here's a list of players who fit a few categories when it comes to intrigue, and where I see them right now.

Intrigue factor

QB Robert Griffin III: Few quarterbacks listed under 6-foot-2 started NFL games this season. Only one NFL quarterback is shorter than 6 feet -- Seneca Wallace. Hey, there's no height that makes a guy great, but it's fair to say scouts and coaches take it into account. I have Griffin listed at 6-2, and my guess is he measures at that. But the combine gives us a lot of interesting measurements. Griffin seems like a lock to be a top-five pick, even more so if he's as tall as currently listed.

WR Alshon Jeffery: For Jeffery, it's weight, and how that correlates with speed. The former South Carolina star saw his production fall this year, but most of that had to do with erratic QB play. Still, if he's not south of 230 pounds, it won't help him if the speed isn't there. Lower weight and good quickness could keep him in the first round.

QB B.J. Coleman: I've said he has a fifth- or sixth-round grade, but the UT-Chattanooga star has good size and a big arm, and it's always important for the small-school guys to walk around and perform with the bigger names, just because it helps eliminate the idea they don't belong. I could see Coleman leapfrogging some better-known QBs if he shows a lot this week.

LB Lavonte David: The Nebraska linebacker has some games when he seems to be in on every tackle. Really, the tape just sings sometimes. But what do you do with a LB who could scale at 225 pounds soaking wet? Does he have the speed for strong safety? Is he more of a SAM linebacker in a creative system? Coaches may love David, but not all will be sure what to do with him.

The athlete factor

S Harrison Smith: I have the safety out of Notre Dame with a potential first-round grade, but he can secure it if he shows off adequate speed and size for the position. His tape is outstanding, with great instincts for the position. It helps when athleticism proves to be a part the equation.

DE Whitney Mercilus: The defensive end out of Illinois could go as early as the top 10, but teams want to see if he's the athlete he looked like in 2011. He has a great year, but no body of work beyond that, so good combine marks would help the case.

Scouts want to see if Coby Fleener has the speed to create separation at the NFL level.
TE Coby Fleener: Catching passes from Andrew Luck is a good and bad thing. Good because people saw Fleener could play and has great hands; bad because Luck was so accurate, you question how good Fleener had to be. He can get into the conversation as an early Round 2 pick if the speed is there because he has great hands. Scouts just need to see him as more of a weapon and less as a solid pass-catcher.

WR Mohamed Sanu: Scouts will be interested in Sanu's speed after his production simply exploded in 2011. If he runs and tests well, he won't be seen as a one-year wonder, just a guy coming into his own.

LB Vontaze Burfict: Because Burfict faces makeup questions, I think he needs a "wow" area for scouts, and I think the workouts could be it. He's had a reputation as a player, but also one carrying an attitude, since high school. He needs a new aspect to his track record, and I think coming in really prepared to impress as an athlete can help his stock.

The health factor

WR Ryan Broyles Not much more to say about Broyles. If he's progressing really well, you wouldn't be surprised to see him off the board before the third round. The question is whether a team feels he can help early.

DT Jared Crick: At one time, I had the DT out of Nebraska on my Big Board. I don't think the pectoral injury he suffered should hurt his performance as a player, but he has less tape playing without Ndamukong Suh because of it. He's probably a second-round guy right now, but you never know.

OT Andrew Datko: The Florida State tackle has a lot of talent, but his shoulders (both) are a question mark. I can see him going in the third round if teams feel he's recovered fully.

S Mark Barron: I have a hard time thinking he falls out of Round 1 (maybe even the top half), but he did just have hernia surgery, so teams will check to make sure his recovery is on track.

A few more: CB Omar Bolden, DT Josh Chapman, RB Cyrus Gray, WR Chris Owusu​

C

Cr122

2012 NFL Scouting Combine: Grueling evaluation process gets under way

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...aluation-process-gets-under-way#ixzz1nDQIoT9c

Staff report
Sporting News

It's on: Players began arriving in Indianapolis Wednesday for the 2012 NFL Scouting Combine. Through Tuesday, more than 300 NFL Draft prospects will be weighed, measured, poked, prodded, tested mentally and physically and given over to teams to do more of the same.
All eyes will be on top prospects, including presumptive No. 1 pick Andrew Luck and likely No. 2 selection Robert Griffin III. Both are quarterbacks, and their group is scheduled to arrive on Thursday.Wednesday's schedule is for kickers, offensive linemen and tight ends. On Thursday, wide receivers and running backs will join quarterbacks to begin their exams. Defensive linemen and linebackers are scheduled to arrive Friday. And defensive backs are due in Indy on Sunday.By the time secondary players finished on Tuesday, all 32 teams will have seen players from every group. Official statistics, including Wonderlic test scores, will have been provided and most players will have completed their full regime of drills.It's doubtful the best and brightest will not perform every test. Luck and Griffin both apparently will skip many of the on-field evaluations, preferring to show many of those skills on on-campus pro days that begin March 1.Here is a breakdown on Scouting Combine activities, as provided by the NFL.Group 1 (kickers, special teams players, offensive linemen), Group 2 (offensive linemen), Group 3 (tight ends)

Wednesday: Hospital pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, interviews

Thursday: Measurements, medical examinations, media, psychological testing, interviews

Friday: NFLPA meeting, psychological testing, kicker/special teams workout, interviews

Saturday: Workout (timing, stations, skill drills), departure from Indianapolis
Group 4 (quarterbacks, wide receivers), Group 5 (quarterbacks, wide receivers), Group 6 (running backs)Thursday: Hospital pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, interviewsFriday: Measurements, medical examinations, media, psychological testing, interviewsSaturday: NFLPA meeting, psychological testing, interviews

Sunday: Workout (timing, stations, skill drills), departure from IndianapolisGroup 7 (defensive linemen), Group 8 (defensive linemen), Group 9 (linebackers)Friday: Hospital pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, interviewsSaturday: Measurements, medical examinations, media, psychological testing, interviews

Sunday: NFLPA meeting, psychological testing, interviews

Monday: Workout (timing, stations, skill drills), departure from Indianapolis

Group 10 (defensive backs), Group 11 (defensive backs)Saturday: Hospital pre-exam and X-rays, orientation, interviews

Sunday: Measurements, medical examinations, media, psychological testing, interviews

Monday: NFLPA meeting, psychological testing, interviews

Tuesday: Workout (timing, stations, skill drills), departure from Indianapolis

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/sto...aluation-process-gets-under-way#ixzz1nDQ3mPl0

C

Cr122

Okay, Midswat is right, Griffin will run and not throw at the Combine.

C

Cr122

I like Smith too. I'll wait until after the Combine to say if I want us to draft him or not.

The only safety I would feel comfortable drafting at this point would be Markelle Martin.

It's not a strong class at all this year.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Everything I'm reading is that he is rising. Kiper said yessterday he has first round ability. ?

He's big, fast, athletic, and was reasonably productive in college. I don't know if that's 1st round ability, but it's intriguing.

Just hope he isn't another David Bruton though.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I like Smith too. I'll wait until after the Combine to say if I want us to draft him or not.

The only safety I would feel comfortable drafting at this point would be Markelle Martin.

It's not a strong class at all this year.

Janzen Jackson son.

Next year will be better...Eric Reid (LSU), Tony Jefferson (Oklahoma), and TJ McDonald (the greatest university in the world).
Eric-Reid.jpg

350x.jpg

134210513_display_image.jpg

C

Cr122

I personally think we stay away from safety this year, unless Barron or Martin were to fall a lot. Those are the two best safeties in the draft IMO.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I personally think we stay away from safety this year, unless Barron or Martin were to fall a lot. Those are the two best safeties in the draft IMO.

That would be a mistake. We do that every year.

Reaction score
DE Whitney Mercilus: The defensive end out of Illinois could go as early as the top 10, but teams want to see if he's the athlete he looked like in 2011. He has a great year, but no body of work beyond that, so good combine marks would help the case.

Wut

Top Bottom