Mr.Po

Reaction score
Melton set for visit, interest in Peppers

March, 14, 2014
MAR 14
1:30
PM ET
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Are the Dallas Cowboys about to see the allure of Rod Marinelli?

According to multiple sources, the Cowboys have a visit scheduled with defensive tackle Henry Melton and have interest in defensive end Julius Peppers. Melton is set to visit the Seattle Seahawks, according to reports and has also visited the Minnesota Vikings.

Marinelli, the Cowboys' defensive coordinator, coached both players to Pro Bowl performances with the Chicago Bears and would help a defensive line that lost DeMarcus Ware (Denver Broncos) and Jason Hatcher (Washington Redskins) the past two days and could lose Anthony Spencer.

Melton is coming off a torn anterior cruciate ligament, but at the NFL scouting combine last month, Melton's agent -- Jordan Woy, who also represents Hatcher -- said Melton had just started running and should be good for training camp.

He played in only three games in 2013, but he earned Pro Bowl honors in 2012 with six sacks and two forced fumbles after coming up with a seven-sack season in 2011.

Peppers was cut this week by the Bears because of his $13.9 million base salary and $18.183 million salary cap figure. He had 7 sacks in 2013, but in three years with Marinelli he had 30.5 sacks. He is 34 years old and has not missed a game since 2007.

As with everything it all comes down to price for the Cowboys. They have the cap room (roughly $7 million) to sign both players, but they will not shell out huge money to a player coming off an injury or an older player without some sort of protection.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I would hate to miss out on the next Selvie if we signed Peppers.

Melton I would be OK with, but I would rather us not because I want us to lose as many games as possible so the less good players we sign the better.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Losers

• Dallas’ defensive line: The Cowboys were forced to shed salary this offseason to get under the cap, hence the release of DeMarcus Ware and decision to let Jason Hatcher walk. The money they would have spent on both may be put to better use elsewhere. Unfortunately, because of those calls, the current two-deep up front is as short on legitimate talent as any in the league. Case in point: Right now, Dallas might be looking at asking Jeremy Mincey to start after signing him to a two-year deal. He was waived by the Jaguars last December.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Melton and Peppers would indicate the plan is still compete now. Still doesn't help me understand our mad dash to sign 3 "depth" players.

Melton makes sense for the scheme. Peppers is one of my all-time favorite players so I wouldn't hate that, despite my don't-pay-age motto.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
nevermind

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamScheflter 1m
Free Agent DE Julius Peppers has been arrested for second degree murder in a car crash in Oak Hills, MD this morning.

Reaction score
If we get in a bidding war for these two guys, why not bring back our own? Peppers an Melton have basically the same issues Ware and Hatcher have. I suppose Peppers is a better system fit than Ware... but this just doesn't make sense.

cmd34(work)

Draft Pick
Reaction score
I was thinking maybe alcohol related. The Schefter fake has his page set up to look exactly like the real one. I did a twitter search on Julius Peppers and saw that tweet.

Cowboysrule122

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Well, at least Peppers and Melton can create pressure that lead to turnovers, how did that work out with Ware and Hatcher this past year?

Last edited:

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I hit a brick mailbox one time and scattered bricks all over the people's driveway.

I drove off shortly after that.

Top Bottom