Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljO2OScTeRI

13 Grade: 8.05 I HT: 6-6 WT: 255

STRENGTHS - There isn't a more natural pass-catcher at the position than Escobar. He has super-long arms and big hands, and he consistently plucks the ball away from his frame. He is a graceful athlete with a long stride, and his future is bright because of his ability to stretch the field and go up to get the ball. He has surprising quickness and can quickly separate from defensive backs as he gets out of his break. Escobar has deceptive ability to run away from defenders and is a very polished route runner, using his head and shoulders to sell fakes.

WEAKNESSES - Escobar is not a great blocker who is going to overpower defenders in the in-line blocking game. He does a better job using his body to wall off a defender, but it is an area where he needs to improve if he is going to help his teammates. He might end up being a good blocker with some time in an NFL strength and training program, as he lacks the strength to line up and push players around the field.

SUMMARY - Gavin Escobar comes into the NFL at a perfect time for his set of skills. Teams are using the hybrid tight end to stretch the field with their length, long arms and ability to wall off defenders because of the size of their bodies. Escobar brings all of these skills to the NFL table and more as he has great hands and catches everything that is thrown at him. He consistently catches the ball away from his body, making it more difficult for defenses to cover him. He shows explosion in and out of his breaks, and he eats up cushion quickly when lined up from the slot. Linebackers can't stay with him because of his movement ability, and cornerbacks can't stay with him because of his size. His ability to run after the catch is truly underrated because he can move laterally and avoid the tackler, and then run into open space. He consistently can locate the ball, make an adjustment with his body and make the catch. This might be Escobar's best trait, and his biggest asset going forward. He makes tough catches look easy and will make a quarterback more accurate with his huge catching radius. He has incredible hands, and makes contested catches all over the field. Escobar is going to present significant challenges to NFL defenses because of his ability to play jump ball in the red zone and down the seam. If he can improve in the blocking area, he will be the complete package and a rock star in the NFL. He warrants consideration in the middle of Round 1, and should be in consideration to be the first tight end off the board in April.

Reaction score
Well if that summary doesn't get you excited, you don't have a pulse.

I will say... I watched one San Diego State game this past year without knowing anything about the team, and he stood out.

iceberg

In the Rotation
Reaction score
He warrants consideration in the middle of Round 1, and should be in consideration to be the first tight end off the board in April.

kinda a shocker and i'd have preferred warford, but witten is getting older.

Reaction score
I like Hanna, so this wasn't a need as far as I'm concerned. Still... TE's are a match up nightmare, so...

I just hope we don't draft a WR now. This should satisfy that need.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
I don't get the infatuation with Hanna. He's an H-back who can't block.

Escobar could be in the Gronz/Graham class of TEs.

Reaction score
Excited to see this dude play. I don’t care if they go all offense the entire draft. Make the offense work so Ware and the boys can bring some heat.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score
Someday?

As long as Witten is here his targets will be limited.

I don't think they'll be as limited as you may think.

I believe a couple of years ago, we trotted out the 2-TE package like 60% of our offensive snaps. And if Escobar proves to be the reliable target and mismatch that he was at San Diego State. I'm sure he'll get plenty of targets.

Reaction score
This just smacks of Garrett's great con of Jerry. Garrett is not an architect, he is a Xerox, which is why there are no clever designs for desperation end of game play. He doesn't know how to use the talent that he has. The Escobar pick is the Patriot success applied to the Antonio Gates era Chargers. Hanna makes Escobar unnecessary and Escobar is not going to do anything for the need areas of DL, RB, Running game effectiveness, Safety, etc. It was a nonsense pick at a crucial time.

Witten owns that portion of the offense already. Hanna is faster than Escobar. Miles and Dez have their roles - and you wouldn't take away from their portion. The passing game does not need fixing. The running game does.

What portion is left except the running backs. Why would you draft a pure pass catcher unless the running game is being gradually diminished?

Reaction score
I know I'm a broken record here. But now why would you pick up an outside only WR when the need is more short area quick throws and the slot patterns? Here's the weak part of Terrance Williams game:

"Pure outside receiver. Does not run a variety routes in Baylor’s offense. Routes are not always completed if he is not primary target. Inconsistent making his man miss after the catch, has some short-area quickness but better tacklers wraps up his long legs quickly. Tracks the ball well, but lets it get into his body and isn’t a natural hands catcher."

Did we already try this with Manny Johnson? How will this help?

Sheik

All-Pro
Reaction score
:lol

Another 2nd round TE?

When all else fails, take a TE and stick him behind a HOFer.

Theebs

Quality Starter
Reaction score
I just watched the clips from the Boise state game Ed Cahill just tweeted.

Escobar is every bit the part. For not being a blocker he looks damn good doing it in that game with his huge frame.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I just watched the clips from the Boise state game Ed Cahill just tweeted.

Escobar is every bit the part. For not being a blocker he looks damn good doing it in that game with his huge frame.

He's a very talented kid. Some of my son's former teammates are at SD State (one is Escobar's back-up) and my daughter's former classmate was their QB. Watched about 6 of their games last year and he is the definition of an offensive weapon. Fans are going to love this guy once the games start. Romo is going to love this guy, assuming Romo survives the play. Outside of Eifert, he is the most explosive TE in the draft.

Top Bottom