ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score
so why do other teams use multiple picks on TE's if they already have a good one?
I don't think there's anything wrong with using a pick on a TE, just not a very high one. I thought John Phillips was pretty decent for where he was drafted -- tough, pretty good special teamer and blocker, only a 6th rounder spent.

Sure, there's nothing wrong with using a 2nd rounder if a guy is truly good enough. But if they thought Escobar was the next Gronkowski, that's another fail on their evaluation.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Sure, there's nothing wrong with using a 2nd rounder if a guy is truly good enough. But if they thought Escobar was the next Gronkowski, that's another fail on their evaluation.

Pretty sure they didn't think that TE, they are two totally different players.

I really do believe part of the reason they drafted him is because they were a little unsure on Witten coming off that major injury, not just for last yr but long term.

ThoughtExperiment

Quality Starter
Reaction score

I really do believe part of the reason they drafted him is because they were a little unsure on Witten coming off that major injury, not just for last yr but long term.
Like... They literally are different players? I hope they knew that.

If they drafted him because of Witten, they were drafting for need, and that's almost always a bad idea.

Escobar makes me realize that might be a draft axiom: Don't draft slow-footed soft players. If you're a tremendous athlete like a Jimmy Graham, you can afford to be less than physical. But if you're slow, you better be tough. Which Pablo isn't.

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
If they drafted him because of Witten, they were drafting for need, and that's almost always a bad idea.

That idea "draft BPA regardless" is something that some say, but almost likely never do. You cant do it in the salary cap era. Its "BPA- at a position of need"

What if your a team with Tom Brady or Payton Manning in their prime, do you use your only first rd pick on a QB because that guy is the highest rated player on the board? No, you don't. What if you have Emmitt Smith in his prime, do you spend a 1st or even 2nd rd pick on a RB because that guy is "BPA", no you don't.

It was stupid to draft him where they did and then hardly use him. It wasn't stupid to draft him. The guy could have had a positive impact on the offense with more chances.

boozeman

Draft Pick
Reaction score
That idea "draft BPA regardless" is something that some say, but almost likely never do. You cant do it in the salary cap era. Its "BPA- at a position of need"

What if your a team with Tom Brady or Payton Manning in their prime, do you use your only first rd pick on a QB because that guy is the highest rated player on the board? No, you don't. What if you have Emmitt Smith in his prime, do you spend a 1st or even 2nd rd pick on a RB because that guy is "BPA", no you don't.

Chances are you don't even have that player on your board to begin with to bypass if you are doing it right.

Bob Sacamano

All-Pro
Reaction score

Escobar makes me realize that might be a draft axiom: Don't draft slow-footed soft players. If you're a tremendous athlete like a Jimmy Graham, you can afford to be less than physical. But if you're slow, you better be tough. Which Pablo isn't.

When Jason Witten entered the NFL, he was considered something of a weakling until the tutelage of Bill Parcells and Dan Campbell turned him into the tough guy that he is today.

We don't have a coach the caliber of Parcells, but we at least have Jason Witten. And Pablo seems more receptive to teaching than that idiot Martellus Bennett.

Reaction score

This. There is only one, ONLY one, saving grace to slow and that is size. In this case its not Escobar's strength mass or weight leverage, its his height. Jason still does not preach or direct or strategize or plan to move the chains and control the clock and possession. But Escobar could easily use 7 yard slants, curls, outs to move the chains. It would have essentiall the value of a good run but since Escobar is so tall and can handcatch at highpoints, there is no reason why he shouldn't be used for a quick 5-7 yard gain (except on 3 and 10 from the Dallas 5).
Its all on the best use of the talent. One of the umpteen weaknesses of the Garrett navigation. Garrett will not isolate the physical mismatches (which is a staple of Mike Martz progenitor of the Garrett lazy scheme) and instead, he will have all position players run basically the same routes. He thinks its deceptive and versatile but it got really absurd when Martellus Bennett was running bubble screens.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score

Dallas Cowboys: Unsure about Witten since 2006.

Hoofbite

Draft Pick
Reaction score
Hey gais,

Who knew his shitty blocking would keep him off the field.

This guy!!!

dbair1967

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey gais,

Who knew his shitty blocking would keep him off the field.

This guy!!!

And that's the reason he shouldn't have been picked. Everybody knew he was going to struggle as a blocker. For them to pick the guy, say they are gonna use a higher % of plays in a 2 or 3 TE set and then hardly use him "because he struggles as a blocker" was beyond fucking stupid.

I still think he will be a good player, but picking him where they did and then letting him rot on the bench was ridiculous.

Jon88

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at all if we took another tight end in the 2nd round.

This team is that fucking stupid.

cmd34

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
do you really need to be all that smart to figure out you should maybe throw to the 6'6" guy in the end zone?

Oh yeah....
Jason-Garrett-Head-Coach.jpg

Top Bottom